Thread: '04 R1150RT - Speedo

'04 R1150RT - Speedo

not working!

And yes, i have replaced the cable. Anyone else ever had this issue? Is it something that can be repaired by one of the esteemed vendors? The last thing that i want to do is to have to buy a new one.

Thank you,

sdc
    Somers, NY

Just enjoying the ride.......

I had the same thing on my 04 RT, turned out to be the little plastic ring inside the speedo hub, my receipt says it was the Drive Ring. I do have an extra speedo for cheap if it's needed.

Hey Petty

were you able to get yours repaired? or did you have to replace with a new/used one?

TIA
    Somers, NY

They (MAX NH) were able to reajust the existing one, cost like $25

Speedo

Have you changed the tire?

Check out the speedo drive and the drive washer item #7. Typically that is where the problem usually is. The tabs get bent back if the wheel hub is not positioned correctly upon replacement of the front wheel. Fixed a few now.

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fic...png?v=08102012
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '
    Ufda happens..........

It's all about the details.

As mentioned, probably the wheel does not engage the drive. There is a metal ring with two tabs in the hub of the wheel that needs to engage the tabs on the speedo drive gear. If not aligned so the wheel tabs are between the drive tabs they bend, and after a while friction won't keep them connected any more.

I would remove the wheel and check that ring and its tabs. I'd also check the gear teeth in the drive itself.

But before you do this, just disconnect the bottom end of the cable and spin the front tire. Observe to see if the metal tang that drives the cable turns when you spin the wheel. Then put your finger on that tang to create a little drag and see if it still turns when you spin the wheel.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Interesting....

yes i had changed the tire before it started happening. But the speedo worked for the first few hundred miles and then quit. Does that sound like it might be the part in the wheel that may be the problem?

Or the speedo itself?

TIA
    Somers, NY

Quote Originally Posted by sdpc2 View Post
    yes i had changed the tire before it started happening. But the speedo worked for the first few hundred miles and then quit. Does that sound like it might be the part in the wheel that may be the problem?

Or the speedo itself?

TIA
    What? you want to spend money?? Check the part to see if its bent and that it is engaging properly before doing anything else!
    Geez.
    '
    Ufda happens..........

It's all about the details.

Left Coast Rider
    yes i had changed the tire before it started happening. But the speedo worked for the first few hundred miles and then quit.
    TIA
    "If not aligned so the wheel tabs are between the drive tabs they bend, and after a while friction won't keep them connected any more."

Or the speedo itself?

TIA
    Yes - if the tangs are pressing on the tabs on the drive friction will hold them for a while. Then they will slip. They may grab and slip a few times but then they just slip. Voni's RS started to slip completely about 4,000 miles after I kludged the wheel install. I also fixed a case where a dealer replaced the drive (erroneously) but didn't straighten the bent wheel ring and it worked for 250 miles because everything was meeting tip to tip. This was at the start of an LD rally. I pulled the wheel, re-bent the ring tabs straight and put it back together and it worked fine.

You need to just pull the axle, roll the wheel forward about two inches, and then bend the tabs back out so they are parallel with the axle and carefully put it back together so the wheel tabs are between and not lined up with the drive tabs.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

R1150RT Speedo

Thank Heaven for PGlaves!

Quote Originally Posted by 94aero View Post
    Have you changed the tire?
    Oh, my...... I'm so happy we came to the same conclusion!

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    ...after I kludged the wheel install.
    Hang on just one second...I feel a disturbance in the force.