Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Bikers or motorcyclists?

Biker for me - motorcyclist is too hard to say...

All kidding, playfullness and sterotyping aside think through the OP from a hotelier's point of view.

The employee tried to chat up a customer in a friendly manner using, using what she found out, the customer thought an inappropriate sterotyping word. Realizing the offense asked what the difference to learn and not make the same mistake. The check process continued.

The hotelier apparently has had some bad experiences with people using two wheeled conveance as their transportation mode. Rather than avoiding them all together as customers developed a set of rules and told the desk clerks to recite them to all two wheele travelers at checkin.

We have no idea what the desk clerk understood from the OP's speech on the difference between bikers and motorcyclist but the hotelier's instructions sunk in and the clerk did her job, the OP got a room and the hotelier made a buck.

For every bad experience I have had checking into a hotel when on a bike trip I can think of many more times when hotel management and staff did things that made me and my bike safer, helped with care/repairs and in general made the stay better.

Quote Originally Posted by Weasel View Post
    Biker for me - motorcyclist is too hard to say...
    It is a mouth full. PotAto Potato  who cares. The real difference is are the onion rings in the bar batter dipped or breaded and what kind of mustard do they serve when you ask.
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

Sheep Dog
    As for myself, I've always been rather fond of the moniker "Skooter Trash"!

I have owned and ridden many different brands of motorcycles. I have been and will always be a motorcyclist

I was refused a motel room once with the "reservations needed" remark and calmly said "OK" as I walked outside. There, I called the motel 800 number, which was the corporate office in some other city and made a reservation. After eating in their restaurant, I went back to the check-in counter and got a room with my reservation. She didn't seem to be very happy but, oh well.
    Ride far enough today so you can't come home untill tomorrow. 1998 BMW 1100GS
    IBA# 47129

Reservations

After the Rally in Bloomsburg, I travelled to Philly and could not wait to find a cool room. I walked into the lobby and asked about rates. $96.00? I asked the clerk if he could do any better than that. He said if I had a coupon he could. He then directed me to the computer room and showed me where to download the coupon and print it out. $39.95. I like people like that.
    Jerry Dockery
    309 N. 3rd. Ave.
    Kure Beach, NC 28449
    1996 R1100RT main bike & 1985 K100RS...too fast to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by JDOCKERY132445 View Post
    After the Rally in Bloomsburg, I travelled to Philly and could not wait to find a cool room. I walked into the lobby and asked about rates. $96.00? I asked the clerk if he could do any better than that. He said if I had a coupon he could. He then directed me to the computer room and showed me where to download the coupon and print it out. $39.95. I like people like that.
    If I may ask, where did you stay?
    Lynn
    MOA #57883
    Current Ride: 1995 K75 Standard
    Past: 1978 Yamaha XS 750, 1976 BMW R60/6

Fleabag

Quote Originally Posted by ARGENT BRICK View Post
    If I may ask, where did you stay?
    It was part of the Holiday Inn chain, but was a flea bag near the airport. Part of it had recently suffered a fire. I cannot remember the address.
    Jerry Dockery
    309 N. 3rd. Ave.
    Kure Beach, NC 28449
    1996 R1100RT main bike & 1985 K100RS...too fast to believe.

Halifax and Larry's River, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by JDOCKERY132445 View Post
    Over the past 14 years we have covered about 60,000 U.S. miles and we always obtain the coupon books at tourist plazas or Denny's etc and finding rooms for $39.95 is not as rare as it sounds. In our experience and aside from a few unfortunate choices, most are modest yet clean. No really bad experiences with attitude. Mary is great at examining a room before payment and this has helped us avoid a few potentially terrible experiences. Bottom line is that we have often found many excellent hotel/inn/motel opportunities - especially with off-season summer rates south of the Mason-Dixon. - Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Salty Fog Riders Motorcycle Tourism Promotions
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA

Iconic 17 mile drive in Carmel does not allow motorcycles in the gate, due more than likely to noise complaints. Bummer, because it is a beautiful drive.
    John.

No longer a member here
    Biker or Motorcyclist? Be careful with polarizing and trying to set yourself apart. After all, Harley Davidson still has the largest market share in the U.S. and still represents the majority of bikes on the road. They still have the largest number of doctors, lawyers and other affluent people as customers, compensating for mid-life crisis and trying to express a life-style. These people may have a lot of influence in the socio-political arena and may be the ones who carry enough weight to keep riding motorcycles a legal activity in this country.
    And by the above description of Bikers and Motorcyclists - what are those with orange, spiky hairdos, earrings and other metal pieces pierced into facial areas who ride plastic-covered two-wheelers and pop wheelies all the time??? What category do they fit in?
    Food for thought!

I am not sure what's worse: showing up at "bike night" without the leather and eye patch? Or showing up at a BMW rally without a riding suit, gloves, full length boots, and full face helmet... Either place, you will probably get the feeling you aren't part of the group!

Just sayin'...

Me, I play dress up. No matter where I go, I play along... In the old days, I was an "individual"! Today, I like to blend in... I have a costume for "bike night", a costume for ATTGATT, a costume for dual sport, a costume for my Norton, a costume for my Triumph sidecar, etc...

My girlfriend, on the other hand, is only allowed to wear one costume: tight shirts and tighter jeans!
    1969 Triumph Bonneville T120R, 1972 Commando 750, 1974 Vespa Rally 200, 1974 Commando 850, 1975 Commando 850, 2010 Triumph T100 w/sidecar, 2011 BMW R1200RT, 2013 Honda CB1100

No longer a member here
    Quote Originally Posted by zenduddhist View Post
    Me, I play dress up. No matter where I go, I play along... ... I have a costume for a costume for a costume for , a costume for a costume for , etc...
    I do the same thing. And maybe take it a up a notch: I color-coordinate my jackets and helmets with my bikes....

Quote Originally Posted by EMSimon View Post
    And by the above description of Bikers and Motorcyclists - what are those with orange, spiky hairdos, earrings and other metal pieces pierced into facial areas who ride plastic-covered two-wheelers and pop wheelies all the time??? What category do they fit in?
    Food for thought!
    Organ donor category, lol
    87 K75S, bought new, now sold
    07 K1200GT Bought new, now traded in
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

I admit to being amused by both sides. I don't ATGATT , nor do I dress like a Pirate.

I wear what {I} choose, mostly depending on weather, and notice some rejection from [both] sides. It amazes me how many from both sides just seem to have an overwhelming need to dictate to others how to dress, and or do it in general their way.

I like a quiet / reasonably quite bike, Yes I might stop for a beer, or a meal, I don't just bar hop , I haven't pillaged in years And i try to leave hotel / motel rooms, as I found them. In general I tend to behave and enjoy my travels.

So if I go to bike night [rarely] or to a BMW function and some choose not to speak to me / ignore me.....I'm good with that.

So!...I don't know what the heck i am...I suppose just a guy who has ridden for decades, and enjoyed each & every mile, and most folks that i have met along the way...