Thread: backroads/dirt VA-WV_KY

backroads/dirt VA-WV_KY

Looking to spend a week in June getting to know southwest VA southern WV and eastern KY. Any advice? Are forest service roads accesible?

http://www.rd400racer.com rd400racer's Avatar
    I hate to be vague on this answer, but as someone that lives in Louisville and has in-laws in the middle of WV, I've travelled a huge chunk of those roads over the years.

A few years back 3 of us took a bike trip to the Gap and then headed through WV up into Virginia. What we would do is hop off the slab and grab pretty much any of the back roads. They are all great! We never hit a bad road and some of the little towns we stumbled upon were priceless (key up the banjo music).

As far as dirt roads....I can't vouch for that area but where my mother in law lives in the middle of WV there are miles of what we call "gas" roads (to service the pipelines). My son and I have ridden dirtbikes for miles on them and they always seem to switch back onto a paved road eventually; unless of course you hit a creek!

You will have major fun.....I'm envious!
    http://www.rd400racer.com/

2001 Ducati Monster; 1996 R1100GS; 1985 RZ350; 1977 RD400

For KY go to the Daniel Boone National Forest website & see where it's legal. There are a few designated areas,not many. Logging roads are often owned by steel,coal,timber companies & posted. Many are off-limits (mine,like many others) to keep down erosion. Maybe go to a ATV type forum & see where they end up in WV & KY. Websites for those kind of clubs too.

Many moons ago...

... a fellow named Weeble (who didn't wobble) provided a lot of very nice rides around the 2003 MOA Rally in Charleston, WV.

Some are still on-line:

Country roads southeast of Charleston

The High Road

The Grist Mill, with a great lunch stop

Top 10 faves, rides 1-4

Dangit Rides 5-10 are missing, and they were really good.

Keep in mind these are 10 years old, but I bet they are still pretty accurate.

Ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

thanks fellas. I appreciate the info. June can't come soon enuf. I just ordered "Motorcyle Adventures 3" (Hagebak), hopefuly there's some info there too. Last two trips were in NC using Wayne Busch's America Rides Maps. Great Country!