Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Pilots Here?

Quote Originally Posted by retpd2001 View Post
    OOps, had the wrong natural disaster, it was a flood, quoted here by the Intl Commanche Society:

Plans were in the works to do away with the Comanche and Twin Comanche well before Hurricane Agnes flooded the Susquehanna River and inundated the Lock Haven plant in June 1972. Piper said that production of any more Comanches and Twin Comanches wouldn't be feasible, because the tooling and dies for the Comanche and Twin Comanche were destroyed in the flood.
    Did all of my multi training in a TC. What a wonderful plane.
    Too damn many bikes to list

Got my private back in 84 and then worked for the FBO at MSN for a number of years part time on the ramp, got only a couple hundred hours and went as far as a few checkrides for my instrument, but never got it and really dropped out of flying for the most part since then, last went up maybe 20 yrs ago, but my wife wants me to get back in to it. I almost went up with her and a CFI this October, then she needed a minor operation done about the time we were going to go up, so put on hold again til spring. No medical exam or anything, just grab an instructor and go up for an hour or so, what do i care about the logbook, big deal. Learned on Cherokee 140s, and good amount of time in Warriors and Archers, also flew with CAP a little and got 152 and 172 time as well.

Lots of line experience though, the FBO had contracts for fuel for most of the airlines in to MSN back then, United, NWA, TWA, Air Wis, etc etc, so lots of different aircraft I refuelled, mostly DC9s and 727s, 737s, Fokker F27s, Shorts 360s, hated refuelling BAE146's, needed the tallest step ladder we had and almost had to stand on the top of it to reach the fuel door.
    Over on the GA ramp lots of time fuelling and hangaring lots of what you guys are talking about, TCs, Aztecs, Navajos, and bigger stuff like Lears, Citations, Falcons, Gulfstreams, we also did a lot of transient Airguard stuff, like Hueys going up to Fort McCoy (got as good as Radar O'Reilly in hearing the Hueys approach! whumpwhumpwhump) and also transient Tweeties out punching holes in the clouds and calling it training. I did lots of grunt work in aviation for a lot of years. That JetA never really get sout of your blood I guess.
    87 K75S, bought new, now sold
    07 K1200GT Bought new, now traded in
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

Oh, took a test a couple times for replacement ATCs, after the PATCO strike and Ronnie Reagan fired em all, remember that? One of the tests was in Chicago, I decided to rent a Warrior and fly in to Meigs and take a taxi to where the test was taken, so I did fly in to Meigs once, quite an experience for me in a lot of ways, mainly trying to understand these controllers who were talking faster than an auctioneer. "WHAT DID HE SAY? HUH???" The guys in the tower at Meigs were OK though, but the approach guys, holy crap dude......LOL. First and only time I had to pay a landing fee, which I did NOT know about going in (Otherwise I would have went to ORD, ha ha).
    And on the way back hit like 1100 ragged, 1 mile viz, I had another guy with me from the FBO who just went for the ride and slept while I did that ATC test, but anyways MSN approach says "1100 ragged, viz now 1 mile, state your intentions", so I swear his eyes locked on mine, without even looking away from him i picks up the mic and say "request special vfr landing Madison"..........silence. Pregnant pause......"Cherokee 40 kilo, special vfr approved, maintain clear of clouds" and gave me a heading to fly.
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

I earned a Flying Scholarship in 1969 with the Royal Canadian Air Cadets, went on to get night rating and was working on my Commercial Licence when I lost my job and had to let it slide.

Went back 15 years later for a checkride (40 minutes!) and became an Officer with 2 Squadrons and became Commanding Officer. Got to do do some free flying with the Cadets and ended up with 360 hours flying time.

Let it go again, Too expencive now!

Some regrets!

Bucket List to be P.I.C. again!
    Ambassador BMW MOA Ontario Canada
    President Niagara BMW Riders #298
    Knights of the Roundel #333
    1977 R100RS, (Retired) 1993 R100GS (just getting started)

Polar Opposite
    Airplane SEL,instrument, commercial rotorwing. Current Cub LSA owner.

I'll ride anything scooter trash's Avatar
    Does Microsoft Flight Simulator Gold Edition with the Acceleration Expansion Pack count?? I always wanted to fly. Actually started taking lessons about two weeks before the Arab oil embargo, couldn't afford to continue. Friend of mine used to work on the F-14 simulator at Oceana Navy base. I would come in when he worked mid-shift and log some hours. Of the real actual flying machines I have flown there was the SNJ (War birds), Steerman, Schweizer Model 300C helicopter, and of course the ever popular Cessna 172. Except for the SNJ all were orientation flights, no take offs or landing just flying around for 30 minutes to an hour wishing I had continued taking the course. My wife buys me the flights for my birthday. I've been up in the Schweizer 4 times now. Was able to hold a controlled hover on my first try (thanks to Microsoft Flight Simulator). Funny thing, I had a different instructor for each flight and by the fourth flight I was doing so well the instructor asked how long I had been flying, I looked at my watch and said at the end of this flight it will be four hours, he was impressed. Maybe I should have continued taking lessons but the family was growing and college isnÔÇÖt cheap so I take my introductory flights and am happy with the experience.
    1996 Harley Springer, 2011 R1200RT
    When you find a big kettle of crazy, it?s best not to stir it.

Full timr RV'er, where we park is home. No fixed address or location.
    Quote Originally Posted by retpd2001 View Post
    Looks like a police bike with "Motor" designator. I am a retired cop (also?) Commanche, great aircraft till the factory burned down, I used to own a 250 with another guy, until drug runners stole it, and torched it out here in Arizona....
    Yep that was the first career and my radio call sign the day I was involved in a collision that forced me to retire. Rode Kaws on duty and for PD rodeo competition. My Comanche was blue and white but I could only find the pic of a red one for the avatar. The tank was the second career, Army Reserves, retired in 2000. Did the A&P thing on light civil aircraft until the wife was able to retire in 04.

I had "Missy", short for Mike's mistress, 5658P for more than a decade. Sweet flying plane, far better than the Cherokee's as far as I am concerned.
    DEFINITION OF A VETERAN A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
    Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Motor31 View Post
    Yep that was the first career and my radio call sign the day I was involved in a collision that forced me to retire. Rode Kaws on duty and for PD rodeo competition. My Comanche was blue and white but I could only find the pic of a red one for the avatar. The tank was the second career, Army Reserves, retired in 2000. Did the A&P thing on light civil aircraft until the wife was able to retire in 04.

I had "Missy", short for Mike's mistress, 5658P for more than a decade. Sweet flying plane, far better than the Cherokee's as far as I am concerned.
    If you're ever in the central PA area, there's a small museum at the old Piper office building. You might enjoy it.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

PPASEL here with Complex and High Performance endorsements.
    Chris Ehlbeck
    BMWMOA 168990
    Chris & Donna's Motorcycle Journeys

Quote Originally Posted by cehlbeck View Post
    PPASEL here with Complex and High Performance endorsements.
    Never heard of a Complex endorsement, just high perf (retractable gear and constant speed prop, over 200hp=high perf). No??
    Maybe they have a Complex endorsement if you have retract and constant speed but under 200hp only guess I'd have, but don't know what bird would fit that bill unless it's a homebuilt.
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    Never heard of a Complex endorsement, just high perf (retractable gear and constant speed prop, over 200hp=high perf). No??
    Maybe they have a Complex endorsement if you have retract and constant speed but under 200hp only guess I'd have, but don't know what bird would fit that bill unless it's a homebuilt.
    According to my logbook where the CFIs endorsed, the complex (FAR 61.31(e)) is for retractable landing gear, flaps and a controllable pitch propeller. The high performance (FAR 61.31 (f)) is for an engine of more than 200 horsepower. You can get one without the other.

The complex was in a C172RG Cutlass and the high performance was in a C182 Skylane.
    Chris Ehlbeck
    BMWMOA 168990
    Chris & Donna's Motorcycle Journeys

Only single engine Cessna I ever really cared for was the Cardinal, the 190 is pretty cool too though.
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

Douglas Williams
    It started as a hobby 30 years ago and now it's my job. Current ATP, 737. If I ever own a plane though, it'll be like the one I started on, an Aeronca 7AC Champ. No radios, 75 mph, 3000 agl, a motorcylcle in the sky.
    Sent from a Galaxy, far, far away

Amateur Veteran
    Sure....

Commercial Single Engine, CFII/MEI/AGI/IGI
    ATP - 747, MD11, A330, A320, DC9 (717), CE750, CE500, ATR72

working for Hawaiian Airlines

there's only two kinds of aircraft

fighters and targets

first flight of the last tomcat

"Enemy fighters at 2 o'clock!...Roger, What should i do until then?"

2010 r1200r, 2009 harley crossbones, 2008 triumph/sidecar, 1970 norton commando 750