Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Pilots Here?

SEL, night endorsement, complex aircraft endorsement; all expired now. Flew this for a few years:

Those were fun times.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Well I sure am learning a lot on this thread because I was sure I was "endorsed" to fly at night and have done it a number of times without an endorsement listed for it, how does that work??? Found out flying around watching fireworks on the 4th of July isn't as spectacular as I thought it would be.

EDIT I see you are in Canada, very well could be different up there. I know we Americans like to THINK you are the big 51st state we never had but have different flight rules, lol.
    87 K75S, bought new, now sold
    07 K1200GT Bought new, now traded in
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

Gilly:

Yes. It's a separate endorsement in Canada. It includes 10 hours of instrument time and a night cross country.

The instrument training saved my ass in the Northwest Territories one time, when I got into some heavy forest fire smoke.

...isn't as spectacular...
    And night flying is dangerous, like night riding.
    Last edited by rinty; 12-05-2012 at 04:01 PM.
    Rinty

You can certainly have a HP and not a complex or vice versa. My Pitts is high performance but not complex. That fellow's M20C would be complex but not high performance. For extra credit, who can name a multi-engine complex airplane that you can fly without a HP endorsement?

Here's my current bird:

Wes Jones
    Annapolis, MD
    2012 K1600GT, Vermillion Red
    2013 S1000RR, Granite Gray

Well I suppose that would be any twin with engines less that 200HP, such as a Seminole or a Duchess.
    2009 R1200GS

RETPD2001
    Quote Originally Posted by PittsDriver View Post
    You can certainly have a HP and not a complex or vice versa. My Pitts is high performance but not complex. That fellow's M20C would be complex but not high performance. For extra credit, who can name a multi-engine complex airplane that you can fly without a HP endorsement?

Here's my current bird:

What a beauty!

Saw a teeny tiny twin at Oshkosh one year, engines looked like little more than lawn mower engines. Can't remember details enough to know if it was a complex. BTW is saying "constant speed prop" (as I was brought up with) and "variable pitch prop" the same thing? I obviously confused complex with high perf, so i might be messed up on props too.
    Looking forward to going ahead with plans for my wife and I to go up for awhile with an instructor next spring, seems like an easy way to get back up without jumping through a bunch of hoops I don't know if I want to jump through. If it all feels right maybe I'd go ahead and get current again.

May have been this, I thought the engines were on top of the wings though:
    http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/planes/q0275.shtml
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

Amateur Veteran

Here's my current bird:

you're a lucky guy..... that's sweet!

jeepinbanditrider
    Student pilot here. Just a little over 20 hours in. Due to military commitments though recently I had to take a hiatus from flying and probably won't get to get back into it again till summer or fall of '13.

Quote Originally Posted by Downs View Post
    Student pilot here. Just a little over 20 hours in. Due to military commitments though recently I had to take a hiatus from flying and probably won't get to get back into it again till summer or fall of '13.
    Ehh, just borrow a F22, they won't miss it for awhile. Just bring your own barf bag.
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    BTW is saying "constant speed prop" (as I was brought up with) and "variable pitch prop" the same thing? I obviously confused complex with high perf, so i might be messed up on props too.
    A constant speed prop accomplishes that feat by being variable pitch. It maintains a constant speed when the power is increased or decreased by varying the pitch of the the blades. So yes, same thing.
    Wes Jones
    Annapolis, MD
    2012 K1600GT, Vermillion Red
    2013 S1000RR, Granite Gray

...same thing?.../Gilly
    Gilly:

With a variable pitch prop you can set the blade pitch from fine to coarse with the propeller control, which has the effect of increasing or decreasing rpm. However, rpm will increase or decrease as the throttle is opened or closed, respectively.

With a constant speed prop you also adjust blade pitch with the propeller control, which affects rpm, but the rpm does not change with increased or decreased throttle, except at small throttle openings. So it's a "smart" variable pitch prop.
    Last edited by rinty; 12-07-2012 at 11:37 AM.
    Rinty

Does This Count?

No auto pilot: Check
    Guns: Check
    Rockets: Check
    Hellfire: Check
    Stinger: Check, kinda (took it off a few years ago, the idea that we could shoot down a fixed wing aircraft didn't sit well with someone)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2005 R1200RT
    BMWMOA # 143779
    "Positive Habit Transfer is no substitute for Situational Awareness."

I didn't realize there was a military version of the Jetranger.
    Rinty

Quote Originally Posted by rinty View Post
    I didn't realize there was a military version of the Jetranger.
    Keeping American's safe since 1965
    2005 R1200RT
    BMWMOA # 143779
    "Positive Habit Transfer is no substitute for Situational Awareness."