Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tenere; V Strom; Opinions please!

I only have limited experience with the 650 model. I rode one about 3,500 miles in New Zealand. I liked the bike a lot in that environment. This was 200 to 350 mile days, touring. The handling was precise. Fuel economy was disappointing. Voni was riding a BMW F650 single that took premium fuel. I was riding the VStrom that took regular. This irritated her till we noticed that tank after tank she was spending less for fuel than I was. Doing a kilometers per liter to miles per gallon conversion - she was getting over 50 mpg. I was getting about 40 mpg.

If you are into touring, want extra front lighting, heated gear, etc. I think the alternator is a bit challenged, but no worse than the BMW 650/800 twins.

If lightening struck and melted all of my BMWs into puddles and I needed to go buy a new bike it might be a VStrom.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    I average about 50mpg on the older dl650, have done over 60mpg and as low as 35 in the winter or with over active right wrist.

2012 version seems to be more fuel efficient, but just haven't run that many tanks through it yet.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 bogthebasher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tommcgee View Post
    I average about 50mpg on the older dl650, have done over 60mpg and as low as 35 in the winter or with over active right wrist.

2012 version seems to be more fuel efficient, but just haven't run that many tanks through it yet.
    Yep, same as me... varied a lot on weather conditions, load, riding style.
    Ken
    [2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blue) - Mine]
    [2007 R1200RT (Sand Biege) - Hers]

We had a DL-650 V-Strom in our garage for a few years and would not hesitate to have another one. The Strom was my wifeÔÇÖs bike, but she swapped it for a BMW G 650 GS due to the lower seat height, and overall balance.

During our time with the Strom, we used it to commute to work, grab groceries, and to take day rides (my wife on the Strom). All around great bike, which consistently returned a tick over 50 mpg.

The bike has a great deal of accessories available so you can kit one out to meet your individual type of riding. We installed Caribou panniers, a taller Givi windscreen, Touratech handguards, SW Motech Centerstand, and SW Motech Crash Bars and skidplate. Topped it off with a Givi 31L topcase and it was a good to go. If we were to have kept it, the next item/s on the list were to be suspension mods. But again, there are several options available.

So, in the end, an all around good bike, long list of accessories, and more than capable of taking you, and a pillion down the road.

You canÔÇÖt go wrong with a Strom.

Our Strom in the foreground with a friends Strom in the back. The following week he set of on a two week trip through Idaho, Washington, and Oregon, camping most of the trip.
    09 R1200GS

See our Moto Photo's:http://raptor02.smugmug.com/

Had an 05 DL650 , motor never used a drop of oil but had to add skid plate to protect oil filter, geared to high for steep downhill rutted trails even with counter shaft sproket change, front springs very soft, seat awful. Traded for 05 RT in 07 I now had a very comfortable ride that would stop level on a dime but used oil, difficult to work on and shocks too stiff to ride on most gravel roads, wide rear tire did not track well, side cases scratehed easily. I was an easy target for dealer maintenance due to supected seal leaks that I could't see. Traded this year for 08 GS, has simpler electronics, uses almost no oil, easily maintained, Sargent seat and Parabellum windshield make it comfy for 69 year old back road rider. Wish Oddessy had a battery that would fit it.

I had a Wee Strom that I kitted out for long distance touring, Carribou bags and top box, lowered front and rear for my stubby legs, a Sargent seat to replace the torture device Suzuki sells, bar backs , hand guards and heated grips.

I tried a couple of different wind screens but could not get passed the dreaded helmet buffeting. It was so bad I got blurred vision on the highway after a very short period of time, so i sold it.

I am told that Suzuki spent a lot of time and effort to correct the buffeting problem since so many complained about it. The 2012 model is supposed to be a lot better in that area now.

I would buy another after a good long test ride at highway speed to verify that.

I still have my '07 WeeStrom, fitted out with Givi sidecases and topcase, skidplate, crashbars, Madstad windshield mod, Centech fuse block, Stebel airhorn, SW Motech centerstand and probably some other farkles I've forgotten about. Got around 25,000 miles on it. Seems to be bulletproof. It's relatively cheap, can be farkled every which way and certainly is a decent commuter/dual sport. I do not like it for two-up, however. Just doesn't have the grunt. That's why I bought the GS. But I met two couples in Ushuaia who had ridden their WeeStroms all the way from Rio de Janeiro, so your experience may vary...

I have a 2009 Wee. Very reliable, but the aerodynamics are just so awful that I dreaded riding it (and this is after trying two seats, two windshields, three helmets, and a MadStad bracket and yes, I wear excellent earplugs!).

Anything above 35mph starts to thrum, drum, and buffet.

350 miles each way in a two-day trip to Portland pretty much decided that I needed a different bike; I dreaded coming back, and canceled the third day of riding in favor of going to the pub! I put more miles on my new RT in a few months than I put on the Strom in 3 years; I did 1200 miles in three days, and was daydreaming about taking it out for another ride on day 4. The ergonomics, comfort, performance, and aerodynamics are just incomparable.

If you aren't bothered by the turbulence, and you're not looking for performance suspension (I find it dives a lot and isn't all that stable), then the Strom makes for a great commuter or back-roads bike. Lots of Strommers have taken them on huge tours with great success. It's really moddable, and I find the gearing has a lot of pep (though too short for tons of highway time, IMO). It's an excellent bike for the money: ten grand for bike and some basic accessories can get you through several years of fun times.

I'll be selling mine soon, but I'm sure I'll miss it

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by holygoat View Post
    I have a 2009 Wee. Very reliable, but the aerodynamics are just so awful that I dreaded riding it (and this is after trying two seats, two windshields, three helmets, and a MadStad bracket and yes, I wear excellent earplugs!).
    Ultimate fix for me was MRA laminar screen and Russell seat. Some people have no problem with stock setup. You can find hundreds or thousands of windscreen and seat complaints in every motorcycle forum.

2012 model bike just needs a seat for most folks. Suspension is much better too and it doesn't feel top heavy like the previous design did.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

A buddy just picked up a 2012 Wee Strom, he says the changes to the front end , fairing and screen made all the difference compared to his previous Strom.