Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Help identifying this frame please.

Dcompson

Dcompson
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354467115.654701.jpg
    So where are the frame numbers? I can't find them.

The "R60" stamp on the easily removable metal frame badge on the steering head may or may not have anything to do with this frame found in a non-dealer's shop out in the dessert - back in the 70's these badges walked about quite a bit - saved a lot of paperwork and few cops knew anything about BMW bike models or other bikes for that matter. If you had a registration and could point to a badge many ordinary cops would not know a BSA from a BMW!

Make your best guess what bike the frame is for and then find out where to look under old paint for the frame stamping for that era - if they were stamped back then.

Rally Rat
    Well, You now that anybody can put something on a frame, as long as it fits.....
    Boxerbruce

The frame number on my R25/2 is on the top of the top frame rail as it nears the rear plunger tower. IIRC it's on the right side. The engine number on my single is stamped below the cylinder on the right side. Then go to:

http://www.vintagebmw.org/v7/forum

and enter the number in the boxes on the left side of the screen. Just use frame or engine, not both. It will take you to the page providing basic specs of the bike.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Dcompson
    Thanks everyone! Here's the numbers.

629875 frame tag that says r60
    7/6 drive
    228410 stamp on frame

Dcompson
    That's 7/6 on the final drive

Well, we all know that the bolted on tag is wrong...it's for a mid '60s R60/2.

The other number, which I presume you found actually stamped into the frame, is for a 1950 or 1951 R25. Based upon the total range of R25 numbers (220001 to 243400), I'd say you have a 1950 frame.

The drive numbers are probably 6/27...I'd look a little closer.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Dcompson
    Here's the final verdict.
    http://www.vintagebmw.org/v7/model/r25
    It's an r25!
    I'll look more into the final drive and motor to figure them out. I appreciate the guidance. And I'll post what I learn.

Dave