Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25

Thread: Practicing Riding in the Rain

  1. #1
    jaxthedog jaxthedog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    104

    Practicing Riding in the Rain

    California's long dry spells make rainy-day riding something that only happens on occasion, but when it happens it can be dicey at best. Today - first day of a pretty good storm blowing through - I decided it would be good to get out and ride through the squish a bit. I was amazed at how much I'd forgotten about wet weather riding.

    As long as there's a hot shower waiting at home, I recommend a few practice sessions in the rain.

    Details about what I was reminded of are at: http://thechurchoftheopenroad.blogsp...g-in-rain.html

  2. #2
    Caribbean Druid
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    607
    Come to central Florida in the summer. Summer is the wet season and we get rain and thunderstorms almost every afternoon. Fortunately we look for showers to ride through, just to cool off. We get lots of practice...

  3. #3
    Curmudgeon At Large Bobmws's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Astatula, FL
    Posts
    1,128
    The difference being that after the first week of liguid sunshime here in Florida the roads are somewhat clear of oil film, while the long dry spells with rare showers in CA don't wash the oil film off as much.
    Practice is good, be aware and be careful.
    Bob Weis
    '04 K12RS - Hannigan Hack
    www.earplugco.com

  4. #4
    Benchwrenching PGlaves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    "Big Bend" TX
    Posts
    8,717
    Practice riding in the rain makes sense I guess, but I still think it is just about the same as getting practice colonoscopies.
    Last edited by PGlaves; 11-30-2012 at 02:07 AM.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Gilbert, AZ
    Posts
    281
    Rain? What's that?
    1983 R100RS (Sold)
    2004 R1150RT
    BMW MOA 181289
    ABC 13558

  6. #6
    Registered User David13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Lomita, California
    Posts
    774
    Jax
    Thank you for your suggestion to make an effort to ride in the rain. And not just sit around and plan my riding, with the intention of going where I want to go when I want to go.
    I think it is a good suggestion.
    And you are probably right, that rather than just waiting for rain, and suffering it when it comes, and laughing at my suffering, I should get out and seek rain to ride in.
    I should look for a storm and ride into.
    At current I have quite a few screws loose. And when the day comes when I have lot more screws loose, I will do it.
    dc

  7. #7
    Enjoy The Ride saddleman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Huntersville N.C.
    Posts
    320
    What's there to practice ?.
    Dave
    2004 Black LT
    2000 Canyon Red LT
    The Only Vehicles I Own

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Maryland.
    Posts
    150
    I took my bike and practiced in the rain. I made a stupid video of it when I was new to rain riding. Now, I enjoy rain riding more than riding on regular days. It is more chanllenging. Just remember the white lines are dangerous in the parking lots. It was sped up a little to make it feel more dangerous.

    I practiced swerves, circle riding and emergency stops.
    If you are afraid of rain get a new bike with stability control.

  9. #9
    Kbiker BCKRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    761
    Quote Originally Posted by saddleman View Post
    What's there to practice ?.
    1. Braking. If you don't have a car following you, a straight-up application of the brakes will at least give you a clue as to how slipperly that particular section of road is. If a modest applicaton activates your ABS or has your tires locking up, you have been warned. Slow WAY DOWN for curves. You MAY have 70% of your dry road traction in the rain. You also may have 30% of your dry road traction. The only thing you can bet on is that the amount of traction will continue to vary on real roads, as opposed to the race track. You are guessing, and very conservative guesses in the curves seldom lead to problems.

    2. Check out your gear. My very first ride this season I had the rain liners in my jacket and pants so wasn't concerned when I ran into a thunderstorm for 15 minutes. What did scare me though was the fogging inside my fullface helmet. I opened the visor a notch to get rid of the fog and I now had rain coursing down both sides of the faceshield! The next day I ordered a new faceshield for my Shoei with Pinlock. Ya gotta be able to see.
    Doug
    1992 K100RS

  10. #10
    Curmudgeon At Large Bobmws's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Astatula, FL
    Posts
    1,128
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Practice riding in the rain makes sense I guess, but I still think it is just about the same as getting practice colonoscopies.
    Is that Voni I hear laughing in the background?!
    Bob Weis
    '04 K12RS - Hannigan Hack
    www.earplugco.com

  11. #11
    Curmudgeon At Large Bobmws's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Astatula, FL
    Posts
    1,128
    Quote Originally Posted by saddleman View Post
    What's there to practice ?.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCKRIDER View Post
    1. Braking. If you don't have a car following you, a straight-up application of the brakes will at least give you a clue as to how slipperly that particular section of road is. If a modest applicaton activates your ABS or has your tires locking up, you have been warned. Slow WAY DOWN for curves. You MAY have 70% of your dry road traction in the rain. You also may have 30% of your dry road traction. The only thing you can bet on is that the amount of traction will continue to vary on real roads, as opposed to the race track. You are guessing, and very conservative guesses in the curves seldom lead to problems.

    2. Check out your gear. My very first ride this season I had the rain liners in my jacket and pants so wasn't concerned when I ran into a thunderstorm for 15 minutes. What did scare me though was the fogging inside my fullface helmet. I opened the visor a notch to get rid of the fog and I now had rain coursing down both sides of the faceshield! The next day I ordered a new faceshield for my Shoei with Pinlock. Ya gotta be able to see.
    It's about achieving a level of comfort. In your local daily ride or commute you will be aware of potential bad areas, flooding, painted road markings.
    On a tour we may run into rain,and being comfortable riding in it will make your trip better.
    Bob Weis
    '04 K12RS - Hannigan Hack
    www.earplugco.com

  12. #12
    TravelsWithBarley.com
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Stowe, Vermont
    Posts
    1,026
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobmws View Post
    It's about achieving a level of comfort. In your local daily ride or commute you will be aware of potential bad areas, flooding, painted road markings.
    On a tour we may run into rain,and being comfortable riding in it will make your trip better.
    +1 on this.

    Odds are good on a long trip that I'll get rained on, and not letting rain at home curtail my riding keeps it part of the routine stuff you need to deal with.
    '07 R1200GS for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan dual sport sidecar for rides with Barley

  13. #13
    Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Braintree, MA
    Posts
    3,091
    Quote Originally Posted by glenfiddich View Post
    Odds are good on a long trip that I'll get rained on, and not letting rain at home curtail my riding keeps it part of the routine stuff you need to deal with.
    When does it not rain on a trip? Doesn't have to be long either.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

    -Tom (KA1TOX)

  14. #14
    http://www.rd400racer.com rd400racer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Louisville, Ky
    Posts
    103
    This is a quick 50 second video of me racing my FZR400 in the rain at Little Tally back in February. It was supposed to have been a nice day but a storm hit and I didn't have any rain tires. You can see how quick the guys with rain tires go around me and how tentative I am. It is actually raining a lot harder than it looks.

    If you think this looks bad, you should have seen me when it was time to race the RZ350 on this day (no rains either)!


    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLAPZIIcEy4&list=UL
    http://www.rd400racer.com/

    2001 Ducati Monster; 1996 R1100GS; 1985 RZ350; 1977 RD400

  15. #15
    TravelsWithBarley.com
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Stowe, Vermont
    Posts
    1,026
    Quote Originally Posted by tommcgee View Post
    When does it not rain on a trip? Doesn't have to be long either.
    Arkansas and Missouri last year looked like it hadn't seen rain in a while. Holy smokes it was dry out there! Then I came home and had to mow my driveway cuz of all the rain while I was at the rally.
    '07 R1200GS for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan dual sport sidecar for rides with Barley

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •