Thread: Practicing Riding in the Rain

Hybrid View

Practicing Riding in the Rain

California's long dry spells make rainy-day riding something that only happens on occasion, but when it happens it can be dicey at best. Today - first day of a pretty good storm blowing through - I decided it would be good to get out and ride through the squish a bit. I was amazed at how much I'd forgotten about wet weather riding.

As long as there's a hot shower waiting at home, I recommend a few practice sessions in the rain.

Details about what I was reminded of are at: http://thechurchoftheopenroad.blogsp...g-in-rain.html

Caribbean Druid
    Come to central Florida in the summer. Summer is the wet season and we get rain and thunderstorms almost every afternoon. Fortunately we look for showers to ride through, just to cool off. We get lots of practice...

The difference being that after the first week of liguid sunshime here in Florida the roads are somewhat clear of oil film, while the long dry spells with rare showers in CA don't wash the oil film off as much.
    Practice is good, be aware and be careful.
    Bob Weis
    '04 K12RS - Hannigan Hack
    www.earplugco.com

Practice riding in the rain makes sense I guess, but I still think it is just about the same as getting practice colonoscopies.
    Last edited by PGlaves; 11-30-2012 at 02:07 AM.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Rain? What's that?
    1983 R100RS (Sold)
    2004 R1150RT
    BMW MOA 181289
    ABC 13558

Jax
    Thank you for your suggestion to make an effort to ride in the rain. And not just sit around and plan my riding, with the intention of going where I want to go when I want to go.
    I think it is a good suggestion.
    And you are probably right, that rather than just waiting for rain, and suffering it when it comes, and laughing at my suffering, I should get out and seek rain to ride in.
    I should look for a storm and ride into.
    At current I have quite a few screws loose. And when the day comes when I have lot more screws loose, I will do it.
    dc

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Practice riding in the rain makes sense I guess, but I still think it is just about the same as getting practice colonoscopies.
    Is that Voni I hear laughing in the background?!
    Bob Weis
    '04 K12RS - Hannigan Hack
    www.earplugco.com

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Hmmmmmmmm-? are you saying it rains every ten yrs down there? or that we should ride in the rain every ten yrs same as getting checked or ? A practice colon thing would be ala medical guinea pig, well, I'm just confused I ride in whatever comes along which is often rain. Hey, I'm "practiced"!

Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    Hmmmmmmmm-? are you saying it rains every ten yrs down there? or that we should ride in the rain every ten yrs same as getting checked or ? A practice colon thing would be ala medical guinea pig, well, I'm just confused I ride in whatever comes along which is often rain. Hey, I'm "practiced"!
    I mean deliberately going out to ride in the rain just for grins equates to getting several colonoscopies just for grins.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

IF? this thread? has any? possible utility, perhaps? we have encouraged? someone?,maybe even just that one? lucky ?soul?, to go get checked? , via PG's "encouragement?"? I've had mine this summer so that shoe doesn't fit.But, it's the thought that counts...

P.S. Do people grin under sedation?

Last week I spent four days riding and camping in the rain and everything was fine. Three days after I returned to civilization I started coming down with a cold, so now I'm sitting around coughing and hacking.

I guess I should have stayed out in the rain.
    Ride far enough today so you can't come home untill tomorrow. 1998 BMW 1100GS
    IBA# 47129