Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Riding

Quote Originally Posted by Anyname View Post
    I do always marvel at the cruiser types who wear heavy boots, leather chaps, leather jacket, heavy gloves (often w/o fingers) and a do rag. What is it about their noggin that means it has to go unprotected.

Brains in the other end maybe
    Doug, 2011 R1200RT Polar Metallic
    MSF #127350 NAUI #36288

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    Honestly, this battle has been lost to the folks that demand the right to incur head trauma. No amount of logic can ever change their core belief that they have a divine / constitutional right to a pointless level of risk that others will pay for.
    Could this also be a conversation about folks who choose to drink, or smoke, or eat fast food, or lay about their whole lives on the couch, causing our insurance rates or national health care costs to rise outrageously?

Nobody questions any of those choices, but not wearing a helmet, or defending the "choice" not to wear one?

Maybe on the couch forums, the McDonalds forums, the drinking forums, etc.- they 're all saying "What IS it with these motorcyclist types driving our insurance rates & medical costs up?!?!"
    Be The Change You Want To See In The World

Quote Originally Posted by bmwrider88 View Post
    Could this also be a conversation about folks who choose to drink, or smoke, or eat fast food, or lay about their whole lives on the couch, causing our insurance rates or national health care costs to rise outrageously?
    I don't think helmet-less bikers get anymore grief than other risk takers...............

Just recall, a recent campaign to educate school children on healthier food choices was considered to be a form of class warfare. The same goes for smokers............that's almost a political issue in many parts. If some one cries wolf and enough of his neighbors are too intimidated to just say "shut-up, you're being stupid", some politician will appear to defend the "constitutional" right to stupidity.

Sadly, some folks have no clue how stupid they are when they're claiming the constitutional right to stupidity......
    Last edited by 36654; 01-10-2013 at 02:28 PM.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

No longer a member here
    Quote Originally Posted by i-scream-stop View Post
    The funny thing is, I have so many family and friends who ride and all wear full face helmets. The one quote I have heard from all is "after I got hit in face with that, I can not understand how anyone would not wear a full face helmet!"
    How many accidents are caused by a rider getting hit by something and either knocked out or just silly enough to crash?
    I can not help but laugh when I see some "COOL" guy getting plastered by rain, squinting from wind, sunburnt, ETC. because they are too cool for a helmet. and when the cooler temps hit, all those guys that strap all kinds of crap to their faces to protect from cold because thats better and quicker than putting on a helmet.
    Sorry little off topic.
    Not off topic! You and somebody else above made a very valid argument FOR wearing a helmet: Comfort! My wife and I used to ride WITHOUT helmets a lot when we were still mainly part of the HD community. Until we made a trip to NM one year, riding around there all by ourselves during the "monsoon" season. We wore our halfshells (!) all day on our FXDWG and we felt soooo great at the end of the day. Not beaten by wind and weather and no humming in our ears.
    Ever since we wear helmets.

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.

Nobody questions any of those choices, but not wearing a helmet, or defending the "choice" not to wear one?
    I think some of it is our PC mindset. The bad habits you list are perceived as happening more with the lower income population. On the other hand, owners of motorcycles are seen as more financially secure than the population in general. You can't pick on the "poor" but you are free to pick on the "rich". An uninformed or misinformed population and press is a scary thing.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

I'll ride anything scooter trash's Avatar
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1996 Harley Springer, 2011 R1200RT
    When you find a big kettle of crazy, it?s best not to stir it.

Originally Posted by bmwrider88

Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    I think some of it is our PC mindset. The bad habits you list are perceived as happening more with the lower income population. On the other hand, owners of motorcycles are seen as more financially secure than the population in general. You can't pick on the "poor" but you are free to pick on the "rich".
    You're the 2nd person to mention that these are habits predominantly of the poor. Yet, it describes LOTS of people I know! Relatives, friends, family of friends, people in town or at the mall... etc. Look around at the general population and see how unhealthy everyone seems. I cannot support the argument that it's just poor people who smoke, drink, eat badly, and lie about on the couch for their primary activity outside of work. I would guess that our fellow citizens' health issues like diabetes, heart disease, etc. not only stem directly from all this bad behavior, but add to the over all cost of insurance, just as motorcycle accidents do. Since more folks don't ride, V folks who DO ride, I'll go ahead and assume that health issues in general also cost us more than crashes do. Anyone want to offer up some hard data to prove me wrong, I'll eat the crow.

Just trying to make the point that we cry foul over helmetless motorcyclists, yet think nothing of people making an entire lifestyle out of generally unhealthy habits.

If it were up to me, we'd each pay health insurance costs relative to our OWN lifestyle, our bloodwork results, our doctor bills/hospital receipts.
    Unhealthy? Eat bad food? Don't exercise? Smoke cigarettes? Sick a lot? Pay out the nose.
    Healthy? Work out often? Eat well? Walk a lot? Rarely get sick? Costs go down accordingly.

I cannot support the argument that it's just poor people who smoke, drink, eat badly, and lie about on the couch for their primary activity outside of work.
    Wow......You also work at a University?
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

Originally Posted by bmwrider88

You're the 2nd person to mention that these are habits predominantly of the poor. Yet, it describes LOTS of people I know! Relatives, friends, family of friends, people in town or at the mall... etc. Look around at the general population and see how unhealthy everyone seems. I cannot support the argument that it's just poor people who smoke, drink, eat badly, and lie about on the couch for their primary activity outside of work. I would guess that our fellow citizens' health issues like diabetes, heart disease, etc. not only stem directly from all this bad behavior, but add to the over all cost of insurance, just as motorcycle accidents do. Since more folks don't ride, V folks who DO ride, I'll go ahead and assume that health issues in general also cost us more than crashes do. Anyone want to offer up some hard data to prove me wrong, I'll eat the crow.

Just trying to make the point that we cry foul over helmetless motorcyclists, yet think nothing of people making an entire lifestyle out of generally unhealthy habits.

If it were up to me, we'd each pay health insurance costs relative to our OWN lifestyle, our bloodwork results, our doctor bills/hospital receipts.
    Unhealthy? Eat bad food? Don't exercise? Smoke cigarettes? Sick a lot? Pay out the nose.
    Healthy? Work out often? Eat well? Walk a lot? Rarely get sick? Costs go down accordingly.
    I didn't say they were habits predominately of the poor. I said that was the perception.. That is why I also said "An uninformed or misinformed population and press is a scary thing.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    I didn't say they were habits predominately of the poor. I said that was the perception.. That is why I also said "An uninformed or misinformed population and press is a scary thing.
    Your perception or their perception?

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    Your perception or their perception?
    The perception of the "elite" media and much of the population.

Question Really?

Well you were the one talking about poor people, so I guess it was my perception that you were projecting your own views. But you were REALLY talking about the media reports on poor folks' bad health? Must a missed all that news somehow, myself. Guess you got that one up on me. Must be your access to that "elite" media reporting you seem so eager to share with us. I would never have realized that Marion, VA is so advanced as to even HAVE "elite" media- we just have plain old newspapers, and radio and TV stations. And again, I don't know Marion. Maybe every single citizen there is the absolute picture of health. But up here in good ol Pennsyltuckey, you don't need a radio, TV or newspaper to tell you that most of your neighbors are unhealthy. Nor do you need them to tell you it's pretty much universal, and not specific to any one "class" of people.

An interesting conversation, not sure how much it has to do with "riding"? However, I think you have missed the elephant in the room. I suggest that you give some serious thought to the fact that the "industrial food producers" are the main customers of the "chemical industry", as the chemical industry has found ways for the food industry to use chemical byproducts that would normally be costly to dispose of. These chemicals, and now add to that the GMOs, have been finding their way into our food supply for years now. Now add to the fact that our health care (or lack there of) industry has developed to be a profit focused industry that only makes it's money by treating sickness and doing "procedures" rather than working to keep people healthy. We as a country have been asleep at the switch while the huge corporate giants have been developing, with the help of our own governments, these industries that are making the upper 1% wealthy, while making the rest of us sick. What a great environment for the insurance companies to operate in. Now only the wealthy can afford insurance to be able to get the procedures and treatments to help them live a bit longer, while the poor, and increasingly the middle class, get sicker and die earlier. IMO, we need to support local organic agriculture, get our government to change over to single payer health care (like all other industrial nations) and hold the large farming industries and chemical companies accountable for the damage they are doing in the name of profit. Don't get me wrong, I'm all in favor of profit, but only when it provides an honest good or service!

Lkarl KJ6OCL / 2000, R1200C

Moondog
    Gentlemen, please keep it civil...

we just have plain old newspapers
    But, only three days a week.....

However, we can still access the website without paying for a subscription..............at the moment