Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 58

Thread: Forum Blocked ?

  1. #31
    Outlander Omega Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mansfield,MA
    Posts
    6,458
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Is Greg talking about a new MOA website, and Omega Man talking about a new forum?
    This is the new version of VB. It is a bit different than the older version, so some of the features have changed. Integration of the Flea Market will take some time but we are working on it. The home page is having work done also. The new VB that you see here was considerably more than the usual up-date. Thanks for your patience. OM
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

  2. #32
    Administrator 20774's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    13,189
    I think there's a bit of confusion. If you read the September ON, Vince mentioned that things were going to change. It was supposed to be September but things have been pushed back. The changes are a new website AND a new forum...all new software. That software will completely integrate the website and forum...the current arrangement is two separate enties with a bridge of some kind. The change is all still being worked out...some missing elements, testing, etc. Not sure just when it will show up.

    The current forum needed an upgrade due to on-going virus and other issues. It's still VBulletin, but as you can see, a different look. Same stuff all except the Flea Market. How to incorporate the Flea Market is a tough one. It wasn't a VBulletin product. And with a new forum software coming with its own Flea Market capability, we hope to come up with an interim version to bridge the gap.

    HTH...
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

  3. #33
    Dances With Sheep GREGFEELER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Boise, ID
    Posts
    3,217
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Is Greg talking about a new MOA website, and Omega Man talking about a new forum?
    To clarify, I was referring to the new (coming soon) MOA web site - not the forum. We have a whole new software backend administration system in our office which was implemented earlier this year. There will also be a new platform for our web site which will be better integrated into our backend database. There may be other changes as well, but the web site change is a given.
    Greg Feeler
    BMW MOA Director & Ambassador
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

  4. #34
    Debbie's Servant Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    1,497
    Quote Originally Posted by GregFeeler View Post
    To clarify, I was referring to the new (coming soon) MOA web site - not the forum. We have a whole new software backend administration system in our office which was implemented earlier this year. There will also be a new platform for our web site which will be better integrated into our backend database. There may be other changes as well, but the web site change is a given.
    Thanks.
    Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

  5. #35
    Debbie's Servant Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    1,497
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    . Integration of the Flea Market will take some time but we are working on it.
    Here's and example of the Classifieds on I-BMW using VB version 3.5.4

    http://www.i-bmw.com/classifieds/index.php

    It's easy to use and easy to edit your add if needed.
    Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

  6. #36
    Administrator 20774's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    13,189
    Lee -

    Thanks...there are several places to see how Classifieds might work. My main issue is and has been the merging of the forum area with buying/selling. We've been trying to keep a separation there, hence the Flea Market not being directly within the forum area.

    We'll probably implement a temporary section for Flea Market, but another major hurdle is getting all of the content in the old Flea Market into the forum. They're two different databases and it's not easily transported or cut-n-pasted.

    Another aspect is that the Flea Market is for members only and there's a lot of personal contact info there we don't want to make readily available. We can work around that, but something that has to be considered.

    We're still trying to see how to do it.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

  7. #37
    Outlander Omega Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mansfield,MA
    Posts
    6,458
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Here's and example of the Classifieds on I-BMW using VB version 3.5.4

    http://www.i-bmw.com/classifieds/index.php

    It's easy to use and easy to edit your add if needed.
    Thanks. I'll take a look. Gary
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

  8. #38
    Debbie's Servant Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    1,497
    Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    Another aspect is that the Flea Market is for members only .
    I like the idea of the Flea Market only being available for members, but I still see a lot of complaints of non member scammers having access. I don't know why, but we see very few problems with scammers on I-BMW.
    MOA has a much larger Flea Market than the I-BMW Classifieds and maybe the scammers just try harder to break into the MOA Flea Market because of the larger volume.
    When I buy or sell on the MOA, I go in with the thought that the buyer or seller is not a member.
    Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

  9. #39
    Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, B.C. Canada
    Posts
    1,967
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    I like the idea of the Flea Market only being available for members, but I still see a lot of complaints of non member scammers having access. I don't know why, but we see very few problems with scammers on I-BMW.
    MOA has a much larger Flea Market than the I-BMW Classifieds and maybe the scammers just try harder to break into the MOA Flea Market because of the larger volume.
    When I buy or sell on the MOA, I go in with the thought that the buyer or seller is not a member.
    These are interesting comments. Where do you see a lot of complaints about Flea Market scammers? I've never seen any so I'm curious.

    I've bought stuff on the Flea Market with a lot of confidence due to the fact that I would be very surprised to see MOA members taking advantage of other MOA members. There's a lot of us but not enough that word would get around quickly and it doesn't so I assume the best. So far I've had nothing but great experiences on our Flea Market once I've decided the price is right.
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

  10. #40
    Debbie's Servant Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    1,497
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Wanderer View Post
    These are interesting comments. Where do you see a lot of complaints about Flea Market scammers? I've never seen any so I'm curious.

    I've bought stuff on the Flea Market with a lot of confidence due to the fact that I would be very surprised to see MOA members taking advantage of other MOA members. There's a lot of us but not enough that word would get around quickly and it doesn't so I assume the best. So far I've had nothing but great experiences on our Flea Market once I've decided the price is right.
    It's not MOA members. I've seen posts where someone places a want to buy ad and non members who are scammers reply.
    Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

  11. #41
    Registered User jkbales's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Marietta GA
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by 23217 View Post
    Not likely. Until the MOA makes modifications to vBulletin you will continue to have problems. I can't tell you how many times I have had vBulletin and phpBB tell me that if I updated all my sites to the latest level, all my problems with dirtbags would go away. The fact is, that these guys (vBulletin and others) have no clue how to protect you, and nor do they care. You should count your luck stars that only MOA members can register. Otherwise, you would have to deal with tens of thousands of auto-bot registrations per day.
    I agree. Any board is a target. It's bad enough when users create havoc, but much worse when someone malicious gains admin privileges. vBulletin can be made more secure, at the expense of ease of use. Like never exposing an admin's ID to viewers, forcing use of strong passwords, implementing effective CAPTCHA challenges, make admins undeletable/unalterable (and several other changes), and by limiting posting frequency. Each helps minimize problems, but will not eliminate them.
    John
    Current: '10 R1200RT Thunder Gray, '90 K75S Titan Blue

    Past: '09 R1200RT, '04 R1150RT, numerous Suzuki, Yamaha, Honda, Kawasaki, & Harleys

  12. #42
    Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, B.C. Canada
    Posts
    1,967
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    It's not MOA members. I've seen posts where someone places a want to buy ad and non members who are scammers reply.
    Still not sure I get this.
    - There are no "posts" (as in forum posts) in the Flea Market. There are only ads.
    - Only logged in MOA members can post and ad and only logged in MOA members can reply.
    - There is no public access to the current Flea Market. Members only.
    - The ads contain a link to reply to which is strictly between the MOA seller and the MOA buyer.

    Maybe a link to these posts you've seen would be helpful.
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

  13. #43
    Debbie's Servant Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    1,497
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Wanderer View Post
    Still not sure I get this.
    Maybe a link to these posts you've seen would be helpful.
    Not having any luck with the search function, even when I try the member who I think is one that warned about this problem.
    Sorry I brought the subject up.
    Must have been a bad dream I had and made the whole thing up.
    Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

  14. #44
    2011 R1200RT ka5ysy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Prairieville, Louisiana
    Posts
    788
    I would like to thank the staff working on the BBS for all their efforts in maintaining the system and resolving the current issues. I appreciate the time required in doing all this.


    Merry Christmas to everyone !
    Doug, 2011 R1200RT Polar Metallic
    MSF #127350 NAUI #36288

  15. #45
    Dum vivimus vivamus ted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    2,587
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Wanderer View Post
    Still not sure I get this.
    - There are no "posts" (as in forum posts) in the Flea Market. There are only ads.
    - Only logged in MOA members can post and ad and only logged in MOA members can reply.
    - There is no public access to the current Flea Market. Members only.
    - The ads contain a link to reply to which is strictly between the MOA seller and the MOA buyer.

    Maybe a link to these posts you've seen would be helpful.
    Lee is right, there has been a problem with scammers in the Flea Market for years. Whether they get in through a hack or just joined the MOA to get access, there have been times when 100% of people placing a "WTB" ad have been contacted by these guys. All email I have traced from those approached who have cooperated with me, and pickup confirmations from Western Union and MoneyGram, have all led directly back to Nigeria.

    As for links, do a search. There are several long running threads with plenty of posts from victims and almost-victims with plenty of detail. Also, plenty of posts from me warning of these guys and working hard to inform folks how not to get taken.
    Ted
    "A good stick is a good reason"
    1994 K75RT
    Moto Pages

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •