Thread: High-Beam and replacement bulb

High-Beam and replacement bulb

I've been searching around and have not found info on this subject but how is the high-beam bulb on a 2002 1150RT replaced? I have done the low beam bulb with no issues. Also, what is a good replacement bulb for the high-beams?

Not easily! You will need rubber fingers for a few mins.
    I used the instructions in Clymer, which were fairly straight forward, too much to re-write here though.
    One thing about it is the orientation of the lamp holder, which is held on by a grounding strap/tab. Mine was a bit warped and had to do some "de-warping" once removed. Its like a cylinder that holds the lamp AND holds the lamp in the correct orientation inside the headlamp assembly held on by the ground strap/tab.
    Weird design.
    And of course, dont touch bulb with bare hands. Good luck, and NO swearing!
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch
    Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote

It's a struggle. I take off the right side fairing and sit on the floor to get at it from underneath. Lots of light helps. Don't pull the bulb holder too hard when it hangs up or you will pull it apart. Lots of wiggling will set it free. Pay attention to the orientation of the bulb and holder as you take things apart.
    Frank G.
    Hattiesburg, Mississippi
    2004 R1150RT

Is an 1100rt the same? I was thinking there was one bulb with the 50/60 (or whatever it is) marking on an H-4. Why would just a low beam have the slash?

[QUOTE=houkster;839206]Is an 1100rt the same? I was thinking there was one bulb with the 50/60 (or whatever it is) marking on an H-4. Why would just a low beam have the slash?[/QUOTE]

it wouldn't.
    a 55/60 is a low/hi combo bulb.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Right, so does the 1100rt have just one bulb for low and high?

not owning an RT of any variety, i would suggest....

a) what does your owner's manual say?
    b) what does it look like (either from the front or backsides of the headlight)?

i'm guessing this is one you can figure out yourself in less time than it takes to wait for a response to show up here.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Guess you're right.

Yes, there is one bulb for low and another for high. The low beam bulb is positioned aft of the high beam bulb. To access the low beam bulb, one must access it from behind the light assembly via a cover that can be popped off via clips. Since the high beam bulb sits forward of the low beam bulb, the guts of the light assembly need to be gotten out of the way. The windshield, and associated adjustment equipment needs to be removed. Its a PIA procedure that I just found in Clymers.

I tried to change mine out (04 RT) and got so frustrated by that ground strap/tab that I ended up having the dealer do it for me, you need baby hands to reach up in there and I even had my fairing off

Quote Originally Posted by houkster View Post
    Right, so does the 1100rt have just one bulb for low and high?
    The R1100RT has a single lamp. It uses an H4 bulb which is a 55/60 watt for low beam / high beam.

The 1150 uses individual bulbs for low beam and high beam.
    Michael Stock, Trinity, NC
    R1100RT, R100, R60/6

Thank you!

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by OLSENSAN View Post
    Also, what is a good replacement bulb for the high-beams?
    To this question, I have found the GE Nighthawk bulbs to give improved performance and last as long as the originals - important when replacement is a PITA. I changed both high and low at the same time and experienced significant improvement. There are other brands which can offer similar performance but these were the ones on the shelf when I went shopping for brighter bulbs.

There are other threads along these same lines. Hope this helps.