Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Road side assistance, BMW or AMA?

Road side assistance, BMW or AMA?

Thanks for reading...

Faced with a choice here...my BMW road side assistance package on my 2009 GSA is about to expire. Should I renew with BMW at $99 per year? Or go with AMAs deal?

Any one have experience with one, the other, or both?

Thanks in advance!
    2008 R12R
    2009 HD Ultra Classic

Interesting as I just received the invite to re-up mine as it was expired. Usually I like to know who actually administers the roadside program. I know "who ya gonna call" I'd like to know "whose a gonna' show up" OM
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

Sounds like a couple of phone calls I'll be making tomorrow.

2008 R12R
    2009 HD Ultra Classic

Let us know. I expect it varies by location.
    '03 R1150R, '03 F650GS, '97DR200SE,'78 Honda CT-90, '77Honda CT-90

UHaul:)

Used'em more than once and works perfect. Found most everywhere. Randy

AMA costs less (~$59/yr as part of your AMA membership), but only tows for ~32 miles to wherever you want to go that is within those 32 miles.
    BMW costs more, but delivers you to the nearest dealer. Which may not be the one you want to go to...

my F8GS killed its transmission one Sunday in Denver. BMW would tow me to one of the Denver dealers (and apparently leave the bike outside for 2 days, as the shop was closed on Sunday & Monday). But i live <10 miles form the Loveland dealer, which is where i wanted the bike to be for repairs. I used my AMA to get it most of the way home, tehn a friend met me at an exit with a bike trailer to bring it the rest of the way.

so- benefits and limitations to both. you might want to look into "Option 3"; which could be your car insurance, or some other private towing reimbursement service (AAA, etc.)
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Quote Originally Posted by bikerfish1100 View Post
    AMA costs less (~$59/yr as part of your AMA membership), but only tows for ~32 miles to wherever you want to go that is within those 32 miles.
    BMW costs more, but delivers you to the nearest dealer. Which may not be the one you want to go to...

my F8GS killed its transmission one Sunday in Denver. BMW would tow me to one of the Denver dealers (and apparently leave the bike outside for 2 days, as the shop was closed on Sunday & Monday). But i live <10 miles form the Loveland dealer, which is where i wanted the bike to be for repairs. I used my AMA to get it most of the way home, tehn a friend met me at an exit with a bike trailer to bring it the rest of the way.

so- benefits and limitations to both. you might want to look into "Option 3"; which could be your car insurance, or some other private towing reimbursement service (AAA, etc.)
    Check out Allstate RV Roadside Assistance. If you live anywhere west of the Appalachians, a 32 mile limitation is a joke. All that does is find you the tow service. West of the Mississippi it can be 500 miles. To "nearest qualified service facility" is common. I don't know anybody who will agree in advance to tow you past one dealer to get to one you like better but sometimes a little negotiation with the driver will work.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Consider the MOA "Platinum" membership upgrade for $26 per year. Covers 100 miles towing and a number of other things. Details can be found on the web page, the Owners News, or by calling the office.
    Chuck Manley #12106
    2012 Howlin' at the Moon Rally Chair
    Ambassador, Knights of the Roundel #333, IBA Member, Life Member NRA
    Black '13 R12GSA (the Outlaw), Black '02 K12RS (157K)

Twice;

Had the need to be towed by BMW plans that simply did not help at all! Too far or nowhere near a dealer that was open for days. They would have towed, but for very large dollars. Getting to the nearest town with a UHaul truck facility has saved my bacon twice and works more user friendly. One KUDO to BMW assistance, is they REFUNDED my one UHaul trip expenses to the limit of the plan. NICE touch, glad I asked'em. A warranty job on the bike may have helped...Randy

Quote Originally Posted by chasman View Post
    Consider the MOA "Platinum" membership upgrade for $26 per year. Covers 100 miles towing and a number of other things. Details can be found on the web page, the Owners News, or by calling the office.
    +1 on the MOA

All good info...

Awesome idea....take me to a Uhaul, place, I'll handle the rest.

So more investigation, a comparison between AMA and MOA packages.
    2008 R12R
    2009 HD Ultra Classic

Quote Originally Posted by bikerfish1100 View Post
    The towing plan with AMA used to be free if you renewed your membership online.
    Now that I'm a lifetime AMA member and no longer have to pay a membership fee I would have to pay for the towing plan if I wanted it.
    Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

This is starting to look like a no-brainier...

MOA offers towing 100 miles per occurrence.....AMA only does 35.
    2008 R12R
    2009 HD Ultra Classic

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Check out Allstate RV Roadside Assistance. If you live anywhere west of the Appalachians, a 32 mile limitation is a joke. All that does is find you the tow service. West of the Mississippi it can be 500 miles. To "nearest qualified service facility" is common. I don't know anybody who will agree in advance to tow you past one dealer to get to one you like better but sometimes a little negotiation with the driver will work.
    Hi Paul, Have you had any experience with the Allstate Roadside Assist? It's my understanding that Allstate is the provider of the BMW Roadside Assistance and my experience (and that of many others) is that their contractor quality control is pretty terrible. Their contractors are supposed to meet a minimum criteria to be considered a BMW Roadside Assistance tow provider - suitable equipment, experience and skill, ability to safely store the bike if needed, and no owner requirements like ride-along or release of liability. I've encountered contractors sent out did not meet any of that criteria.

You can compare different policies for distance and reimbursement limits but if the tow contractor dispatched is basically a opportunistic criminal none of that matters. I've had a BMW Roadside tow contractor tell me that I would be required to sign a complete release of liability for any damage they caused to my bike and that I would have to pay them and get reimbursed from BMW Roadside. When you're stranded these criminals pray on your situation. In my incident this year I ended up having to arrange for my own tow and fight to get reimbursed from BMW Roadside - which they eventually did to the max limit of their policy.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any way to find out how good the contractor quality control is at any of these companies and I would guess the companies themselves don't know how much fraud is going on amongst their contractors.
    Wes Jones
    Annapolis, MD
    2012 K1600GT, Vermillion Red
    2013 S1000RR, Granite Gray

3 Red Bricks
    Another vote for the MOA Platinum.

I had to use it once. It was efficient and painless.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare