Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Road side assistance, BMW or AMA?

Hybrid View

Road side assistance, BMW or AMA?

Thanks for reading...

Faced with a choice here...my BMW road side assistance package on my 2009 GSA is about to expire. Should I renew with BMW at $99 per year? Or go with AMAs deal?

Any one have experience with one, the other, or both?

Thanks in advance!
    2008 R12R
    2009 HD Ultra Classic

Interesting as I just received the invite to re-up mine as it was expired. Usually I like to know who actually administers the roadside program. I know "who ya gonna call" I'd like to know "whose a gonna' show up" OM
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

Sounds like a couple of phone calls I'll be making tomorrow.

2008 R12R
    2009 HD Ultra Classic

Let us know. I expect it varies by location.
    '03 R1150R, '03 F650GS, '97DR200SE,'78 Honda CT-90, '77Honda CT-90

UHaul:)

Used'em more than once and works perfect. Found most everywhere. Randy

AMA costs less (~$59/yr as part of your AMA membership), but only tows for ~32 miles to wherever you want to go that is within those 32 miles.
    BMW costs more, but delivers you to the nearest dealer. Which may not be the one you want to go to...

my F8GS killed its transmission one Sunday in Denver. BMW would tow me to one of the Denver dealers (and apparently leave the bike outside for 2 days, as the shop was closed on Sunday & Monday). But i live <10 miles form the Loveland dealer, which is where i wanted the bike to be for repairs. I used my AMA to get it most of the way home, tehn a friend met me at an exit with a bike trailer to bring it the rest of the way.

so- benefits and limitations to both. you might want to look into "Option 3"; which could be your car insurance, or some other private towing reimbursement service (AAA, etc.)
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

I did much research on this recently. After all was said and done, I stayed with my AAA RV Plus package. 100 miles unless you upgrade to premier (200).
    Feature for feature I couldn't find anything better or cheaper.

Towing is $3/mile currently.

The uhaul truck rental is actually cheaper.
    Lynn
    2008 BMW R1200RT (most fun you can legally have)
    2002 BMW R1150RT
    2008 Kawasaki Versys

Quote Originally Posted by lbarbee View Post
    I did much research on this recently. After all was said and done, I stayed with my AAA RV Plus package. 100 miles unless you upgrade to premier (200).
    Feature for feature I couldn't find anything better or cheaper.

Towing is $3/mile currently.

The uhaul truck rental is actually cheaper.
    Likewise. Just upgraded to premier. They'll take the bike, or any of my cars, up to 200 miles to any place I designate, together with the other benefits as well. Since I already had AAA and enjoy it, an easy choice for me to make the upgrade to include bikes, and to bump it to the 200 mile premier plan.
    John

my eperience

I purchased my R1200RT in April this year at Street Cycles in Falmouth Maine. In August while returning to southern Maine from Acadia National Park in the middle of no where I got a flat. I called BMW Roadside Assistance and they had a tow truck pick me and my bike up in less then one hour and flat-bedded me back to Street Cycles which was over 120 miles away. Street Cycles happens to be the only Motorrad dealer in the state of Maine.

As a side note a local stopped to offer me assistance while I was waiting for the tow truck. He ended up dropping me off at a restaurant 200 yards down the road. When the waitress came to my table she informed me that he called her to say that my dinner was on him. Awesome!!! A bad experience turned into a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by ralwhite View Post
    I purchased my R1200RT in April this year at Street Cycles in Falmouth Maine. In August while returning to southern Maine from Acadia National Park in the middle of no where I got a flat. I called BMW Roadside Assistance and they had a tow truck pick me and my bike up in less then one hour and flat-bedded me back to Street Cycles which was over 120 miles away. Street Cycles happens to be the only Motorrad dealer in the state of Maine.

As a side note a local stopped to offer me assistance while I was waiting for the tow truck. He ended up dropping me off at a restaurant 200 yards down the road. When the waitress came to my table she informed me that he called her to say that my dinner was on him. Awesome!!! A bad experience turned into a good one.
    ayuh. Mainiacs are good peeps.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

You should consider getting a tire plug kit and a compressor and learning how to use it. Relying on a tow service for flats isn't a real good idea.
    '03 R1150R, '03 F650GS, '97DR200SE,'78 Honda CT-90, '77Honda CT-90

Quote Originally Posted by Acejones View Post
    You should consider getting a tire plug kit and a compressor and learning how to use it. Relying on a tow service for flats isn't a real good idea.
    Advice well taken. I rode bikes for 12 years in my younger days without a single flat. 3 months with my new bike and it happened. I'm surprised that I haven't heard anything about run-flats for motorcycles. They'd probably be too harsh anyway.

I'm surprised that I haven't heard anything about run-flats for motorcycles. They'd probably be too harsh anyway.
    I've often wondered the same thing--why hasn't someone developed a run-flat tire for motorcycles? Doesn't seem that a harsh ride should be a problem ... my two-wheeler already hits every bump and transmits it quite well to my butt.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emTvm5tu0ac

Rhinotire motorcycle tire

AND

BMW R1200 RTP
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFAH7PPZTzk

Voni
    sMiling
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

Quote Originally Posted by Royce View Post
    I've often wondered the same thing--why hasn't someone developed a run-flat tire for motorcycles? Doesn't seem that a harsh ride should be a problem ... my two-wheeler already hits every bump and transmits it quite well to my butt.
    The run flat tires are very heavy, a good 3/4" side wall thickness. Not sure what that would do to bike response?

My wife bought a car early this last summer that had run flat tires, and thus the car cam without a spare tire, and no place to store one. With less than 3K on the car, we left home for the bay area for appointments at about 6 am. Traveling on a seldom traveled road, seeing only one other vehicle in the first hour of travel. At about 7 am, came around a turn, sun shinning in the windshield, hit a "road hazard", more than likely a rock that came down from a road cut. Anyway, made a "U" shaped cut in the sidewall, about 6" X 4" that remained attached at the tread. The bottom of the "U" cut was less than an inch from the rim. Needless to say, without sidewall integrity, the tire was no longer a "run flat".

So, 7 am, no other traffic on the road, no cell service for another 35 - 40 miles! Fortunately I had brought my "HT" amateur radio with me, and was able to reach one of the repeaters in the area. So, got a response to my emergency call and had someone that would relay my information to AAA.

Three months later, my wife traded that car in on a similar one with good old standard tires. So....be careful what you ask for!!!!

Lkarl KJ6OCL