Thread: Yet Another GPS Thread

Hybrid View

Question Yet Another GPS Thread

I am looking for a minimal amount of advice from my fellow members regarding the purchase of a new GPS unit. I am retiring a Garmin StreetPilot 2820 which has worked well over 25,000 miles of riding, and a few thousand miles guiding me around the Eastern US mounted in my Toyota Tundra.

When riding or driving, I have given the 2820 a destination and it has taken me there, albeit with a few blips regarding one-way streets etc. I have liked that minimal way of dealing with the Garmin. I don't like the idea of planning a route before-hand, as I use AAA paper maps for that. I wear earplugs on every ride, so music, BlueTooth communication and telephone conversation are not important.

Since I expect to trade in my 2002 pickup truck for something smaller, I looked at the alternative navigation systems in new vehicles. The prices seem high ($1500-3500...with a bunch of other stuff in the mix) so I figured I could buy a new Garmin for much less which could go on/in the RT/car and handle both duties.

Thanks for your tolerance in reading this far. Anyway, in summary: 1) I'd like a waterproof unit; 2) I'd like something easily transferable bike to car; 3) I don't care about trip planning in advance; 4) I don't care about BlueTooth capabilities on the bike, but maybe I should in the car; 5) I'm not really concerned about expense as I want the best thing for this application.

I realize that a new GPS thread is like a new oil/tire/seat thread. Sorry for inflicting this on everyone, but I know there's some knowledge out there.

TIA - John Gamel
    John Gamel
    2008 Kalahari Beige R1200RT
    LEOSA Certified

A Garmin ZUMO is great. there are several to choose from. I've had a 450 for three years now.
    AKA SNAPGADGET
    Lifes too short to ride an ugly Motorcycle

I have never seen a nav system installed in a car/truck that I liked. They are toys compared to a real GPS - at least the several that I have seen.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Ed Kilner #176066
    Perhaps you might rethink using planning on your computer. Recently, I used Mapsource to find a distant hotel. I made a waypoint for it and transferred it to the Zumo 550.

But, I also used Mapsource to switch to view a satellite picture of the street and hotel. Wow, what a revelation. I could see why there was a funny u-turn at the very end and get a much better idea of the hotel entrance. When I got there, it all felt familiar, even though it was 12 riding hours away.

I'm going to do this a lot more in the future, when I have a specific spot to end up at.

I'd go with the latest Zumo with no hesitation. I love mine, even though it is now discontinued, and will replace it when it dies.
    Ed
    2011 R1200RT Thunder Gray Metallic; 2000 Triumph 900(sold)
    http://triumphantsblog.blogspot.ca/

[QUOTE= I'd go with the latest Zumo with no hesitation. I love mine, even though it is now discontinued, and will replace it when it dies.[/QUOTE]

+1 on a ZUMO

John -

Howdy from the other end of the state!

Except for route planning, my requirements are the same as yours. I use a Garmin N??vi 550 which can be bought for about $230. It's IPX7 waterproof and has replaceable lithium batteries. The touch screen is operable with a gloved hand but is smaller that the new Z??mos. No bluetooth, external speaker jack, or MP3 capability...but it has a fairly bright screen (I'd suggest a hood) and the battery seems good for about 6 hours (if the unit isn't wired to the bike), depending on the brightness setting for the screen.

I purchased the Garmin Universal Mounting Cradle with Power Cable kit, but instead of the RAM mount, I am using a Wunderlich Integrated GPS Mount. I like the higher (central) mounting position and need only to avert my eyes a bit to see the screen (choose "More Views" from the Wunderlich link below).

I paid just under $400 for the GPS, Universal Cradle/wiring kit, and the Wunderlich mount. Installation was easy but did require removing the clutch-side tupperware to run power from my added-on fuse block.

If you're ever out in the Springfield area, I can show you my setup. Meantime, here are some links:

N??vi 550 info from the Garmin site
    Garmin Universal Mounting Cradle with Power Cable
    Wunderlich Integrated GPS Mount

HTH,
    Last edited by THEO; 11-27-2012 at 04:59 PM.
    Theo

2009 R1200RT, 2007 Shadow Aero 750 (sold)
    2012 MINI Countryman S, 2004 MINI Cooper S JCW, 2000 BMW 328i