Thread: wheel bearings:in or out during powder coat?

wheel bearings:in or out during powder coat?

Picked up a pair of Lester mags that will reside on a 1974 R90/6 next summer. They have lived a variety of lives if you count the layers of paint, very good condition physically, just never lived with anyone who knew how to prep before painting! I am going to have them sand blasted and then powder coated black as they were originally. Do the wheel bearings need to be removed prior to this work? My blaster is good and careful about masking before sand blasting, I was just worried about the heat process. If removed can they be re-used?
    Thanks!
    kurt
    1977 R100/7 1971.1972.1972.1973 R75/5
    1974 R90/6 multiple boxes
    Airhead Revival
    "Objects in the mirror appear to be losing" unk

central wisconsin along the wisconsin river
    I took mine out .
    81 R100RT

I might consider the peace of mind by just replacing the bearings. You're going to have to go through the complete preload process whether you reuse the old ones or go new. Be sure that these Lesters have BMW inner parts...the spacer I believe. I read from Oak that many of the Lesters came with subpar parts and the result were less than satisfactory. If you upgrade the components to BMW parts, the wheels should be fine.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Just in case you are not aware of it, powder coat curing temperatures generally range from 375?? - 390??F.

I'd be just as concerned with bearing grease and seal degradation as with blast grit.

My vote would be to remove them.
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lmo1131 View Post
    Just in case you are not aware of it, powder coat curing temperatures generally range from 375?? - 390??F.

I'd be just as concerned with bearing grease and seal degradation as with blast grit.

My vote would be to remove them.
    What he said, and on top of that when the grease melts, it will ruin the powder coat
    2010 F800GS Full Ohlins package, '04 R1100S Replika
    '01 F650GS Wife's bike
    Maritime Alps and Vosges 2012
    Tuscany and Central Italy 2010

Great advice

Great advice! I had been leaning that directon but it is nice to hear it from the collective, out come the bearings. Thank you guys!
    kurt

I will probably do a little write up about the bike. Came to me after living downwind from the Hanford Nuclear Reservation. Lots and lots of corrosive damage to the bikes finish, weird, plus a bunch of just plain goofy fixes. So I started by stripping her down like a worker who visited the wrong side of the nuclear plant...yikes. How many cylinder base gaskets do you need to reduce the compression for the use of cheaper gas...
    Airhead Revival

Quote Originally Posted by kwb210 View Post
    Picked up a pair of Lester mags that will reside on a 1974 R90/6 next summer. They have lived a variety of lives if you count the layers of paint, very good condition physically, just never lived with anyone who knew how to prep before painting! I am going to have them sand blasted and then powder coated black as they were originally. Do the wheel bearings need to be removed prior to this work? My blaster is good and careful about masking before sand blasting, I was just worried about the heat process. If removed can they be re-used?
    Thanks!
    kurt
    Kurt,

From experience, pull the bearings and replace with new ones. Your guy can mask all he likes, but grit will get in and in the end you may destroy the I.D. of the hubs. Lister wheels don't come around every day. You will have to reheat the hubs after you have powder coated to reinstall the new bearings. The temperature will be about 190 degrees F, were as powder coat needs to be at 400 degrees F to flow.
    Rick MacPherson
    Success is Not a Destination, But a Journey.
    Accredited Motorcycle Appraiser
    1968 BSA Starfire, 1976 BMW R75/6, 2009 R1200RT

Base Gasket

Did this bike come with a gasket?

If yes, then just replace with new.

If not, I wouldn't put one in there. Some Loctite 510 ("gasket eliminator") on the base will give excellent results. (There are many other less-expensive choices that will also work just fine.) This is Oak's current fave, and it sure did the job on my R100RS.

IMHO, whatever issues may arise from 90-91 octane can be resolved by careful tuning of the engine; I wouldn't lower compression but that's just one opinion.

Walking Eagle

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Eagle View Post
    Did this bike come with a gasket?

If yes, then just replace with new.

If not, I wouldn't put one in there. Some Loctite 510 ("gasket eliminator") on the base will give excellent results. (There are many other less-expensive choices that will also work just fine.) This is Oak's current fave, and it sure did the job on my R100RS.

IMHO, whatever issues may arise from 90-91 octane can be resolved by careful tuning of the engine; I wouldn't lower compression but that's just one opinion.

Walking Eagle
    Actually I meant that as a statement not a question, but it reads as a question! The PO had added not one but two base gaskets in his pursuit to lower the need for good gas. Also lots of very personalized wiring, only the person doing the wiring has any inkling of what the wires should be doing. I will get together a story of the new rising of the plain old '74 R90.
    Airhead Revival

Agreed:)

Approaching 400F is bad for most bearings. I was taught in gear school, the bearings begin blueing, weakening at these temps. We always could tell an overheated gearbox at teardown, when we visualized the bearings turning blue! A steering head bearing is not the same, but still a bearing and no need exposing them to this heat. Randy