Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: laminer lips

laminer lips

Anyone have success installing a laminer lips windscreen?

The hardest part of the installation is positioning the lip. You may want someone to help hold it in place while you figure out the position, then attachment is easy enough with the heavy duty velcro they supply. You might search the Forum for laminar lip as there are other threads about this.
    Walter

All government, of course, is against liberty.
    H. L. Mencken

na1g
    I had very good results with the LL on my Honda ST1300. It is a bit sensitive to location and I found it worked best with the top of the LL about 1" vetically above the top of the ST's screen. Your results will probably vary.

Before sticking the Dualocks (super-duty velcro) clean-clean-clean the windshield where they will go. They give you an alcohol wipe, as I remember it, but you'll need more. I used a couple of cleanings with Windex-type cleaner, then two cleanings with alcohol. Those stickers really stick so get it right the first time.

Let us know how you like the LL.

pete

(Teachers make all other occupations possible.)

I have used one for a couple years on my F800GS. It fell off on a ride this summer as I had got cloth in the "velcro" locks so thought I would ride without it. Needless to say i got new locks and re-installed it. For me it works great.

Tried a Cee Baily windscreen but actually found it too hot at slower speeds as there was no air flow behind it. The Lip allows some airflow.

Note of caution regarding the Laminar Lip

I used a Laminar Lip on my 12GS's stock screen and it eliminated the bad buffetting. But, it shook violently at highway speeds, and after a month or two I noticed it had developed a stress fracture next to one of the contact points. I've since learned that, while that problem is pretty uncommon, its by no means rare. If you look you'll find stories of Laminar Lips exploding off of the occasional motorcycle. I decided not to replace the lip, so I spent the money for an Aeroflow and, 90,000 miles later its still working great.
    Grant
    '05 R1200GS
    Former owner of an '03 R1150R
    BMWMOA #113847

see last two posts

I've owned two K/RS bikes. The first had the stock little windscreen and there was just too much air pressure against my chest. Got a cut-down "tall" Aeroscreen and was happy except for bugs on the face shield. Saved the screen when that bike was totalled.

Second K/RS had the Laminar Lip installed on the stock screen when I bought it. Couldn't believe this little device, which is MUCH lower than the Aeroscreen, seems to do exactly the same job. I've had zero problems and the Aeroscreen (which I thought would be the first modification) still sits in my basement.

I'd believe the warnings about how you should clean your shield before installing the "velcro," but for the price and increased view above conventional shields, I'd say it is worth gambling you won't have any problems.
    Doug
    1992 K100RS

Thumbs up

I nstalled a lip on my CLC "M" windscreen right after I purchased the bike. It works for me pushing the buffeting air over my helmet just as advertised.
    RIDE SAFE
    Cave Contents: 1980 R100RT/Ural Sidecar, 2004 R1200CLC, 2006 HD FSXTI
    Ride Safe

Mind is not for rent
    It made nearly no difference on my Adventure. I tried three different positions to no avail. Ended up with a Touratech spoiler.

GSA and Laminar Lip:)

Had it in place now for 4 years, the LIP and works perfect, except! The velcro works too good to take it off/on for cleaning and wore out, so I bolted mine on with nylon bolts from ACE Hardware. One bolt each side and a perfect solution accomplished. You must use the "right drill bits" for plastic or make a mess with regular bits. It comes off really easy for cleaning daily or as needed now. The LIP has seen 1000s of miles of offroad(a beating), taking it all in stride, not moving at all. A best buy. BTW; I left the velcro's in place to act as bumpers for the one bolt, each side system. Drilling the holes right in between the velcro's locale and it works perfect. Finger tight bolts only, with rubber and washers for cushion and all for pennies from ACE. It cannot come off while riding, never did, but some have had it happen with velcro only system. Randy

Moondog
    I had one on my 1996 K1100RS and felt very little difference. I use a Aeroflow in the winter and take it off in the summer.

I have used lips even before Laminar Lip came on board, as I made my own. Since then I have always used the Lip product. It is important to place its location correctly, so I use either duct tape or regular velcro to lightly test the placement. Then once in postition revert to the supplied HD velcro. On some bikes I have drilled holes after a fashion and used their nylon screws.
    That being said, some shield have airflow holes in the screen or a screen that is separated from the fairing or whatever, and air flows under to created a laminar flow to some degree. Maybe that affects the results??
    Also the biggest issue is the pilot height. No one is of equal size, which is why windshields work impossibly different for everyone. I do believe that Laminar Lips work and help in most situations, but some effort may be needed to get there. For others, it may be another windshield that solves the problem.
    I am 6'4" and have one on a GSA, with the tank design and the side shields and excellent shield design and Lip, I feel like I am behind a RT with a tall sheild!
    Allen.

I've had two, still have one. The worst part is the 'trial & error' if you attach the Velcro buttons, and need to move it...the buttons can pull the film from the shield. It happened too me, left two spots.

They do seem to work aerodynamically , but too me look odd.

I found i like the Wunderlich air deflector better.

R100rt

Seems to work well, I got some chrome license plate screws (plastic chrome) to hold the shield on, and quick to remove to clean under. These give a very nice looking attachment.

http://www.bellautomotive.com/Nylon-...-1-46083-8.htm
    Tom
    '84 R100RT '04 CLC(gone) Honda NT700V
    BMW
    Beer Motorcycles Women

Quote Originally Posted by MIAirhead View Post
    Seems to work well, I got some chrome license plate screws (plastic chrome) to hold the shield on, and quick to remove to clean under. These give a very nice looking attachment.

http://www.bellautomotive.com/Nylon-...-1-46083-8.htm
    I imagine that does look nicer than the Velcro spots!

Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    Had it in place now for 4 years, the LIP and works perfect, except! The velcro works too good to take it off/on for cleaning and wore out, so I bolted mine on with nylon bolts from ACE Hardware. One bolt each side and a perfect solution accomplished. You must use the "right drill bits" for plastic or make a mess with regular bits. It comes off really easy for cleaning daily or as needed now. The LIP has seen 1000s of miles of offroad(a beating), taking it all in stride, not moving at all. A best buy. BTW; I left the velcro's in place to act as bumpers for the one bolt, each side system. Drilling the holes right in between the velcro's locale and it works perfect. Finger tight bolts only, with rubber and washers for cushion and all for pennies from ACE. It cannot come off while riding, never did, but some have had it happen with velcro only system. Randy
    Could you post a couple of pictures of your set up?