Thread: High Miles 2010 RT Cam chain tensioners

Grampa Tumbleweed

High Miles 2010 RT Cam chain tensioners

At 93k my cam chain slap wouldn't quit one morning, possibly related to a long trailer ride (The bike was ashamed?). Milwauke BMW found that the springs in the tensioners were sacked at least 1/4", that's a lot on a spring that's only 2" or so to start with. If it was a bad batch of springs, we will see more of these as the miles pile up. No doubt the slap would have quit if I left it run even longer, butt I lost my nerve. Here's the worst part: BMW doesn't sell the ($5?) springs, you need to pony up $60 each for the entire tensioner assembly.

$120 on a $20K motorcycle after 93K miles is bad?
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Grampa Tumbleweed

Unhappy High Miles 2010 RT Cam Chain Tensioners

It's bad because 1. Dealers don't stock those, and
    2. Most owners wouldn't feel confident to do it themselves anyway. In my case it meant scrap a planned trip.

Quote Originally Posted by 7536 View Post
    It's bad because 1. Dealers don't stock those, and
    2. Most owners wouldn't feel confident to do it themselves anyway. In my case it meant scrap a planned trip.
    Point 1 is valid.
    Point 2?
    Even if it would cost $300~$400 it's hardly a major outlay after 93k.
    Sorry that you had to scrap your trip, but the spring didn't sag suddenly and you seemed to have been aware of the noise for some time.
    So hardly the bikes fault.
    Still, having to scrap a planned tip would make anybody unhappy, no matter what the reason.
    Australia N,S,W
    Mid North Coast
    2014 R1200RT LC/SE

Timing chains aren't new technology. You'd think they'd be able to engineer something that could go 200K miles. They do with cars.
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

Quote Originally Posted by Ponch1 View Post
    Timing chains aren't new technology. You'd think they'd be able to engineer something that could go 200K miles. They do with cars.
    Original right side tensioner still in Voni's R1100RS at 370K miles. Original right side still in my R1150R at 170K miles. Both left side tensioners replaced with upgraded no-draindown design but that was a design change, not due to wear.

Original chains still in both bikes too.

My K75T also had original tensioner and chain at 370K miles.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Original right side tensioner still in Voni's R1100RS at 370K miles. Original right side still in my R1150R at 170K miles. Both left side tensioners replaced with upgraded no-draindown design but that was a design change, not due to wear.

Well, that is good to hear and more in line with what I would expect. I have to wonder if older bikes are more reliable.
    My Motorrad

high mile bikes

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post

Paul
    Do you even own any bikes with less than 100k on them?
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by davesbmw View Post
    Paul
    Do you even own any bikes with less than 100k on them?
    Dave
    Voni's K75s just went over 100K. Her "new" '07 F800 is now over 90K but not quite 100 yet.

I have a couple of K75s with less than 100K and my F650 Dakar with the stuck engine only has about 50K.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Quote Originally Posted by Ponch1 View Post
    Well, that is good to hear and more in line with what I would expect. I have to wonder if older bikes are more reliable.
    The left side ones Paul replaced are off the newer (hexhead) bikes. They can be retrofitted to the older bikes to stop the chain slap on startup. Funny thing is - it's fairly common to have chain slap on startup on the hexheads (right side this time) with the newer design (at least I think it's the right side, sounds like it..)
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
    The left side ones Paul replaced are off the newer (hexhead) bikes. They can be retrofitted to the older bikes to stop the chain slap on startup. Funny thing is - it's fairly common to have chain slap on startup on the hexheads (right side this time) with the newer design (at least I think it's the right side, sounds like it..)
    I've heard it on mine and only after I moved to AZ this past summer. I think the oil really got baked this past summer so now I switched to Mobil 1. We'll see how it goes. I have 11 months of warranty left.
    My Motorrad