Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: 96 r1100r failed input shaft splines ?

Thumbs up Jackpot !

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    If the rubber bond is broken you can see it. Look of the swingarm while turning the back half of the shaft. Look at the inner tube and outer tube on the front hakf of the shaft. You will see the inner splined tube turning and probably see the outer (larger) tube not turning. Broken bond confirmed.
    Back home. Indeed a broken shaft bond is now confirmed !! Just need to get it out. Now the question is: where should I get it rebuilt ? Any recommendations appreciated.

Thanks to all - done for now.

Well this thread is done for now - Mystery officially solved. Photo below shows drive shaft removed with broken bond. I can rotate the two shaft by hand with some effort, and it makes the same sound first heard after the failure.

Thanks to all for the great encouragement and help - I would not and could not have done it without you - and now I kinda like it !

I will now be looking for a good used part - or perhaps buy new if needed.
    Will start a new thread if I need help putting things back together - I'm sure I will.

In the meantime I will clean the bike really well since I can now get into every nook and cranny...

Thanks !!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Smile Final update - All done !

Just wanted to thank everyone again for helping me with this. Just took the bike around the block after finally reinstalling the muffler with new hardware - the last step in my driveshaft replacement - bike felt like its old self again - awesome !
    Ended up buying a used driveshaft in great shape from the PartsHaus in LA.
    All in all learned tons about my bike and how to do these repairs - it took me a long time but was really worth it. You were all correct - a great DYI opportunity. Thanks again for the encouragements and input !!!!

Excellent! Glad to help.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves