Thread: 2005 - 2009 R12RT Signal Light Lens Difference?

Hybrid View

2005 - 2009 R12RT Signal Light Lens Difference?

Good morning,

Know this is a silly question but the signal light lenses came in two (2) configurations. One amber and one clear. The clear lens has an amber light bulb and the amber lens has a clear light bulb. Both specifically do the same thing in that when flashing it's an amber colour.

Amber - BMW Part # 63217687460
    Clear - BMW Part # 63217687459

My question is, 'Why two (2) different lens colours"?

Is there a specific law that BMW has to adhere to between Europe and North America?
    Rick MacPherson
    Success is Not a Destination, But a Journey.
    Accredited Motorcycle Appraiser
    1968 BSA Starfire, 1976 BMW R75/6, 2009 R1200RT

Both amber and clear bulbs are also available and go with the opposite lens color.
    Either combo is legal here in the US but there hs been a recent trend to clear lenses over amber bulbs.

Some find that last combo unappealing from a visual perspective so use yet a third bulb variant- one that is coated and looks bluish silver until powered up when it looks amber. Those bulbs get used behind clear lenses and happen to be what I use on my 08 RT.

It's all a matter of cosmetics and one's preference for one over the other.

Also important to note is that the bulb sockets are different between clear and colored lens installations, as the amber bulbs (PY21W) have offset pins and the clear bulbs have straight-across pins (P21W).
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

I seem to recall that the clear lenses were an extra cost option, not a US vs Euro difference.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

Kent,
    Are you saying then that one can't switch from amber lenses & clear bulbs to clear lenses & amber bulbs without first changing out the sockets? Curious.
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by ndrhsr View Post
    Kent,
    Are you saying then that one can't switch from amber lenses & clear bulbs to clear lenses & amber bulbs without first changing out the sockets? Curious.
    Bruce
    The parts fiche at realoem.com displays different part numbers for the sockets.
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

On the Road
    Vancouver... Not B.C... Washington... Not D.C.

Thumbs up Clear lenses with white LED's

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    It's all a matter of cosmetics and one's preference for one over the other.

Also important to note is that the bulb sockets are different between clear and colored lens installations, as the amber bulbs (PY21W) have offset pins and the clear bulbs have straight-across pins (P21W).
    My '05 R1200RT had clear signal lenses with amber (PY21W) bulbs when I purchased it.
    I changed out the Amber bulbs with BAU15S-x18-T: 18HP-LED 1056 LED Tower bulbs from here: http://www.superbrightleds.com/searc.../BAU15S-x18-T/
    The color is cool white, they supposedly put out 120 lumens. I also installed load resistors and wired them as Running Lights/Turn Signals with my Skene Designs, Amber Photon Blasters. They also function in unison with the Skene "ALERT" function.