Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: SALEM, Sweet :)

http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/HWY/SCENI...ing_guide.aspx

Link above goes to an Oregon Department of Transportation web page where they list scenic routes, historic routes, byways and the sort of travel that makes the state a destination.

It is a great state in which to ride.

"Travel'in" John
    Burlington, Ky - very mini "tree-farm" & the Florida Cape - Titusville, winter retreat
    Thanks Bob! I ordered a hard copy for the trip/bike. Anyone looking at
    a few of the photos of the coast highway or the Columbia River / Dalles
    (maybe the BEST approach to the coast) will want to be there for this rally.

Travel'in John....
    04R1150R

Try both the oregon and the washington side of The River {columbia}rides you will not be disappointed. I know at out my back door.

I just moved to Oregon a few months ago! I will put the Salem Rally on my calendar!
    Sharon
    '07 R1200RT (my favorite!); '12 Yamaha Super Tenere (El Gordo); '07 Suzuki DR650SE (!);
    '59 R 26 (my first)

Quote Originally Posted by Bullett View Post
    I just moved to Oregon a few months ago! I will put the Salem Rally on my calendar!
    You are surrounded by the best riding in the state.
    Powers to Agness, Galice to Gold Beach, Galice to Wolf Creek, Obrian to Happy Camp are all fantastic rides, and those are just some of the rides west of I-5.
    See you in July

"Travel'in" John
    Burlington, Ky - very mini "tree-farm" & the Florida Cape - Titusville, winter retreat

what???

Todays mail: the Oregon Scenic Byways & Tour Routes Guide, 68 pages of the
    most comprehensive, no advertising state highway information I've ever held!
    They also sent a very nice "motorcycle" map... 3 days from my e-mail request.
    If your into planning, you need this free package. Thanks again BobM for the web info.

I lived in Portland twice (last in 08') and Seaside once. Great riding all over Oregon. Be prepared for some rain even in July and it can get hot at times. Lincoln City is the quickest coastal town, with LOTS of tourists and slow traffic for several miles.Recommend going off right on the hwy101 to Pacific City instead.
    Remember: You can't lane split in Oregon .....real fun on a hot day on jammed up freeways in Portland. Burnside st. is a great way to go from east Portland to downtown over the river. Try not to speed in Oregon or Washington. They love their radar and there is no going to traffic school to erase a ticket in those states.
    Probably one of the best major freeway views in the country is when you are approaching Portland from the south and can see the city and Mt. Hood plus some of the Washington mountain peaks. Gorgeous!

Coast 1;

Yes, the last time I rode the coast, the traffic was not nice and the going got slow about every little sightseeing attraction or town along there. It can be busy, so intend to be a tourist as you ride the coast. Its so exceptional, the coast is worth the crowds and maybe, just maybe you get lucky to hit it just right, less people. Mid week is best, weekends are the obvious! SO, hit the coast coming to or leaving rally, or just go anytime and live with it. You'll not be disappointed.

Welcome

Oregon has much to offer for those seeking winding roads, delicious food, and both beer and wine. For most of these, it's worth seeking the roads less travelled (and there are lots of them). Salem is a little too close to Portland to support a vast variety of restaurants, but there are a few great ones: try Word of Mouth Bistro for a breakfast that you won't forget; if you want a fine Mexican dinner, head to La Margarita (Pedro's); or, Italian at Davinci's; pizza at Christo's; burgers at Willamette Burger Company near the rally site; NW dinning is better found in PDX at any number of mouth watering places from food carts to fine dining (Higgin's, Jake's). Portland, Eugene, and Bend offer some of the world's best micro-brewed beer (really) in a variety of brew-pubs (although just a few are in Salem - like Boon's or Block 15 in nearby Corvallis). The Willamette Valley is also home to fabulous winemaking - Pinot Noir from $16-60 a bottle. Purveyors of artisan food, cheese, beer and wine abound. It's a foodie's paradise. Oh, and there's some nice roads, too. From Salem, with rides of 100-500 miles (or more), one can see quite a variety of natural beauty without leaving the state or treading on interstate highways. Just over an hour to the Coast or Cascades. Thanks to a historic timber economy, the state is covered with paved (and some backcountry gravel) Forest Service and BLM roads that can get you where you want to go without hardly seeing other vehicles. Oregon is quite a nice place to live and the natives don't mind the rainy season from November to May - it keeps the place green. Cheers!
    Chris

2009 BMW R1200RT (Shaun), 2004 MINI Cooper S (Gromit), 2006 BMW X3 (Wallace)

Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    Yes, the last time I rode the coast, the traffic was not nice and the going got slow about every little sightseeing attraction or town ....
    Southern Coast, south of Coos Bay has much less traffic than north section. Perhaps more scenic.

"Travel'in" John

Folks will wonder....

about high noon on Sunday rally departure; why are there so many bmw cycles
    all along this coastline? Going both directions! Think I'll roll toward Crater Lake,
    then over & north on MONDAY to avoid the weekend'ers in cages.

RK Ryder
    Quote Originally Posted by flyhi2cfar View Post
    Todays mail: the Oregon Scenic Byways & Tour Routes Guide, 68 pages of the
    most comprehensive, no advertising state highway information I've ever held!
    They also sent a very nice "motorcycle" map... 3 days from my e-mail request.
    If your into planning, you need this free package. Thanks again BobM for the web info.
    +1 on the Oregon Scenic Byways & Tour Routes Guide, but, alas, no motorcycle map was included.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

http://www.oregon.gov/odf/tillamooks...s/tsfohv09.pdf

Please see above a link to the Off Highway Vehicle trails map for the Tillamook Stage Forest. This is an extensive network of trails through the forested coast range. I am a pavement rider, so I have not ridden in here, but I understand that there is lots of good off road riding there. Stay on trails and be good stewards of the environment.

See you in July!

Portland

Just thought I would mention that the Oregon Beer Fest is 24-28 July in Portland. http://www.oregonbrewfest.com/

Also if you happen to be in Portland I would recommend you give Pine State Biscuits a try - http://www.pinestatebiscuits.com/ - if your heart can handle it

A trip to Portland would not be complete without a Voodoo Doughnut - http://voodoodoughnut.com/ - "The Magic is in the Hole" My favorite is the Maple Bacon Bar.

There are a lot of great brew pubs in Portland but I stumbled on this one - http://migrationbrewing.com/ and thought it was pretty good plus the Cuban restaurant across the street is also pretty good.
    Don Burns
    '02 R 1150 GSA
    "If everything is coming your way, then you're in the wrong lane."- Unknown