Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: SALEM, Sweet :)

Hybrid View

SALEM, Sweet :)

A Capitol City too, as Oregon's Capitol City. Oregon's largest(Beautiful Rose City) Portland, less than an hour. Columbia River Gorge is same hour awayand the waterfalls are amazing along there(Oregon Side). The Pacific Coast is to die for, with arguably the best the West Coast has to offer and an hour away. The US Coast Guard does its best and trains its hero's in the surf near the Columbia River/Pacific Ocean meeting place. The Light Tower in Arcadia is SOOOO cool a place to visit and climb to the top for an amazing view of the Columbia River....The Cascade Mountains are rider heaven to the Canadian Border, beginning in Oregon. The Famned Mt.St.Helens, a two hour ride is so well worth the trip to see. Man, all this is so very closeby the rally grounds this coming year. Too many more to list. Been riding the NW for decades on my Beemers and I don't live there, but am West Coast based a tad South. Even though a recent rally in Redmond took place, Oregon has to be one of the MOAs best ever states for a rally and the Salem area has a much different aura about its locale vs. Redmond. Both are bound to be on the best ever rally lists. See ya'll there. BRING your appetite for GREAT NW SEAFOOD too, yum Love my Halibut and Chips. Many more choices. Randy

Thumbs up

For those who can make the trip out West, it sounds like a fantastic locale!!
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

Marine By Choice #188306
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    A Capitol City too, as Oregon's Capitol City. Oregon's largest(Beautiful Rose City) Portland, less than an hour. Columbia River Gorge is same hour awayand the waterfalls are amazing along there(Oregon Side). The Pacific Coast is to die for, with arguably the best the West Coast has to offer and an hour away. The US Coast Guard does its best and trains its hero's in the surf near the Columbia River/Pacific Ocean meeting place. The Light Tower in Arcadia is SOOOO cool a place to visit and climb to the top for an amazing view of the Columbia River....The Cascade Mountains are rider heaven to the Canadian Border, beginning in Oregon. The Famned Mt.St.Helens, a two hour ride is so well worth the trip to see. Man, all this is so very closeby the rally grounds this coming year. Too many more to list. Been riding the NW for decades on my Beemers and I don't live there, but am West Coast based a tad South. Even though a recent rally in Redmond took place, Oregon has to be one of the MOAs best ever states for a rally and the Salem area has a much different aura about its locale vs. Redmond. Both are bound to be on the best ever rally lists. See ya'll there. BRING your appetite for GREAT NW SEAFOOD too, yum Love my Halibut and Chips. Many more choices. Randy
    I believe he meant to type Astoria, not Arcadia. And so correct - MANY various types of rides available out of Salem.

Everything Polarbear wrote I agree with totally. Oregon is a very beautiful place with great riding. Also, if you get the chance, go and see the sweet little town of Astoria (remember the movie "Kindergarten Cop"?)... beautiful place!

John
    I am in full agreement. I have camped and fished Oregon almost every year for the past 30 years. It is a beautiful State. Try to put Silver Falls State Park on your to do list. I camped there about 2 months ago and enjoyed hiking to the 10 falls in the Douglas Fir rain forest. It is about a 1 1/2 hour ride from Salem. I made my trip via Truck Camper, but a motorcycle is well suited for the mountain drive.
    I made my hotel reservation last week for the rally. Many firsts for me on this trip.
    1st rally. 1st ride out of State, and the longest distance I have traveled by motorcycle. Looking forward to it all.

TravelsWithBarley.com
    This rally will be Barley's Opus, the last major journey before he goes into semi-retirement. We have 23 days to make it from Vermont to Oregon and back. The challenge will be avoiding distractions along the way (Amish country of PA and OH, the Badlands and Black Hills of SD, Yellowstone and Grand Tetons of WY, the Sawtooth Range of ID, the redwoods of Northern Cal and Crater Lake coming up from the south) so we arrive with enough time to explore the region.

It's good to hear that St Helens and Rainier are within a day's ride from the rally site; that gives us the option of not having to swing that far north on our journey home.

'07 R1200GS for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan dual sport sidecar for rides with Barley

doktortim
    Quote Originally Posted by glenfiddich View Post
    This rally will be Barley's Opus,
    Make a note for rally.

Find and meet Barley, scratch behind ears. Pat him on the head. Play frizbee if he wants. Give him a chunk of nice homemade jerky.

My career in road and bridge construction has been increasingly busy the last few years as we shed staff and not hire anyone. It is reaching a crescendo...I haven't had much chance to do road trips on the bike these past 2 years.

I will retire before next construction season, and a trip out to Salem is feasible. Hopefully the stars will align and I can get out there. I have an aunt in Astoria and a brother in Kent, Washington, so I'd have some people to visit besides the BMW folks at the rally.

I've got some bucket list rides between home and Salem, another reason to go.

Harry
    2003 R1150RT - Silver

In agreement...

Oregon will once again be very popular. I still dont know how folks do much riding
    (exploring the region/long day rides) during the rally? When I'm riding thousands
    to the left coast for the rally site, I like resting up & rallying! I do enjoy extensive
    touring into & away from the event, where I have time to explore the region before
    arriving Tuesday & as I depart Sunday; sometimes not many miles on those days.
    But to go see Mt St Helens & especially Mt Rainier out & back from Salem, not me.
    Now, is there halibut & chip over at Pacific City or Oceanside? I'm in!

Travel'in John... Into from the south, out via the north with some coast on each!

http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/HWY/SCENI...ing_guide.aspx

Link above goes to an Oregon Department of Transportation web page where they list scenic routes, historic routes, byways and the sort of travel that makes the state a destination.

It is a great state in which to ride.

Thanks Bob! I ordered a hard copy for the trip/bike. Anyone looking at
    a few of the photos of the coast highway or the Columbia River / Dalles
    (maybe the BEST approach to the coast) will want to be there for this rally.

Travel'in John....
    04R1150R

Try both the oregon and the washington side of The River {columbia}rides you will not be disappointed. I know at out my back door.

I just moved to Oregon a few months ago! I will put the Salem Rally on my calendar!
    Sharon
    '07 R1200RT (my favorite!); '12 Yamaha Super Tenere (El Gordo); '07 Suzuki DR650SE (!);
    '59 R 26 (my first)

Quote Originally Posted by Bullett View Post
    I just moved to Oregon a few months ago! I will put the Salem Rally on my calendar!
    You are surrounded by the best riding in the state.
    Powers to Agness, Galice to Gold Beach, Galice to Wolf Creek, Obrian to Happy Camp are all fantastic rides, and those are just some of the rides west of I-5.
    See you in July

Where u at?

Quote Originally Posted by Bullett View Post
    Where do you live in Southern Oregon?
    2012 R1200RT, 2004 Vespa GTi, 2001 Kawasaki 220R, 1981 Vespa P200E, 2004 BMW 325i