Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: what i'm thinking is this...

good points, mika

Quote Originally Posted by Mika View Post
    Beyond extending your riding season what do you expect from this 'touring' bike?
    - distance expectations
    - two up or solo

I am a long time Roadster rider and have to ask - Why an RT? Given the rest of your stable I wonder if there are other BMW options you would like better. Depending how you define touring the new F-GT is something I would consider or something in a K like a 1300S.
    good points,mika.
    i will cogitate upon them.

ed
    "Enemy fighters at 2 o'clock!...Roger, What should i do until then?"

2010 r1200r, 2009 harley crossbones, 2008 triumph/sidecar, 1970 norton commando 750

Quote Originally Posted by f14rio View Post
    anybody know if any of the 2013 bmw bikes have a redesigned fuel quantity system (fuel strip) or an improved FD?
    The RT went to a float-type sender in August 2010. The R bike still uses a fuel strip as far as I've seen.

I did the "tart up an R for touring" route with a 2001 R1150R. The weather protection on the RT is so much more comprehensive there is no comparison. By the time all the accessories are added to the R, you're close to the price of an RT.

On the RT get cruise control and heated grips. Everything else is per personal taste.
    Dave

'06 Triumph Scrambler (Trans-Labrador veteran)

Folks,

There seems to be some misinterpreting of what I said. I try to be as precise as I can when writing to the interwebz since that happens.

What I said was "With the right equipment and riding gear - no reason the R12R can't go out and be fun in any weather the RT might go out in."

I didn't say I was suggesting making an R into an RT. I was talking about how useful the R bike is - and that with very minor changes in gear it can be fine to ride in inclement weather (I've done enough of it and enjoyed it.)

Some of us simply don't want an RT. I know lots of people love their RT's and that's good, but I've been there, done that, and I don't want to do it again. My '85 K100RT was a great bike with a limited use - riding in bad weather. Aside from that - for me - it was pretty much a pig. For other people, larger or stronger then me - the extra weight and bulk wasn't an issue. For almost everyone who owned one of them - summer was an issue, the protection was too good, and people baked on the bike.

Some of us don't want a radio on their bike when riding. Long or short distances. If you do - good for you, but accept that your way isn't the only way. As racer7 said 'if you "are willing to give up the R's added abilities and agilities"'.. Well, I'm not. I prize the less is more of riding the R. My bikes went from naked bikes to the RT, and have gone progressively more naked again as I've gotten older. I find no appeal in being total protected from the weather - the weather is part of the reason I enjoy riding vs sitting in a car and pointing it where I want to go. I do backroads, almost everywhere I can. Highways to me are boring. Backroads are fun. R's excel at backroads.

My suggestion to Ed was that he try a few simple and very inexpensive modifications to what he already owns.. with the possibility that he might find these changes (mostly to gear) are all he needs for enjoying his bike year round. If it works - it cost almost nothing to do. If not - the items he bought can be thrown or given away, or resold and he's out very little money.

I'm a member of a forum that is only R1200R riders. (on www.r1150r.org) - and despite was has been stated, I can only think of one of the forum members who went from an R to an RT (perhaps I forgot some, but I don't think so..) There are a lot of the members who went from an RT to an R. There are a few of the members who went from an R to an even more naked bike like a Ducati or other Italian jewelry. There are some members who went to a different bike and came back to the R. In my local club - at the moment, I believe the R's outnumber the RT's and I know they outnumber the GS's. That doesn't prove a thing, except that people are finding the R suits their needs just fine, even in a 4 season climate like NJ, and that was the point of my posting... try what you have first, if it doesn't work then consider getting something else. The R might just surprise Ed.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

+1, Don. For some, the R is the ideal bike -- probably would be my first choice for a naked bike.

I personally prefer the RT's format for a number of reasons, as I'm not a naked bike-preferring rider, but that doesn't mean the R is any "less" of a bike or that an RT is a "better" choice over an R.

I'm of the view that *any* bike that lights your personal fire is the "better" bike -- for making *you* happy!
    Mark Neblett
    Fairfax, VA

probably what i'm gonna do is this

keep my r12r and trade my mazda 3 6 speed wagon in on a vw GTI.

appreciate the help, gents

2010 r1200r, 2009 harley crossbones, 2008 triumph/sidecar, 1970 norton commando 750

OOOO, now that is a whole different bucket of bolts. The GTI is on my medium list of replacements for the Turdmobile.

Good luck making up your mind.
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

anybody know if any of the 2013 bmw bikes have a redesigned fuel quantity system (fuel strip) or an improved FD?

..a bit off topic, i know but touring guys and sailplane guys are kindred spirits. (and i DID ride the r12r to the airport)

takeoff. (the tow plane is 62 years old)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2925142...in/photostream

loop
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/29251424%40N00/8218627327/
    I have two mechanical loves in my life! Airplanes would be first and motorcycles being a very close second. Thank you for sharing this with the masses......
    Rick MacPherson
    Success is Not a Destination, But a Journey.
    Accredited Motorcycle Appraiser
    1968 BSA Starfire, 1976 BMW R75/6, 2009 R1200RT

keep my r12r and trade my mazda 3 6 speed wagon in on a vw GTI.

appreciate the help, gents

If you can get in and out of the car, cool.
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

Quote Originally Posted by mneblett View Post
    My dealer and I have discussed several times about how often folks buy R12R's, try to add accessories to make them function like an RT, and end up trading in on an RT. For some the R is the ideal bike, but there's a reason (several, actually) the RT is a best seller.

As for options, my #1 recommendation is ASC. It's the sort of thing you hope to never need, but it can save a lot of expensive plastic and road rash.
    For the kind of "touring" that I do I think I would rather have an R1200R. If I wouldn't lose my shirt I would trade my RT for an R tomorrow. I need (want) something more nimble. As it is I spend most of my time riding my Triumph.
    2012 BMW R1200RT
    2010 Triumph Bonneville

Quote Originally Posted by gfspencer View Post
    For the kind of "touring" that I do I think I would rather have an R1200R. If I wouldn't lose my shirt I would trade my RT for an R tomorrow. I need (want) something more nimble. As it is I spend most of my time riding my Triumph.
    triumph makes decent machines and the competition they provide to bmw makes the beemers better machines.

Figured I would toss in my 2 cents on this debate.

I am waiting on a pair of Wunderlich hand guards and a new Sargent seat. I have a Parabellum Scout with a new 22" windshield and a just added an MRA Bolt On Variable Wind screen Spoiler from Twisted Throttle, all in an attempt to see just how versatile the R12R can be. Once I have all the goodies in and added to the bike I will report with some pics, as well as a long ride in the colder temps.

That said, I don't think it will ever be as suited for pure touring as an RT, but on the same token, the RT will never be as versatile as an R12R. In fact, the guy I got the bike from was going down the road of making the R12R more of a touring mount, but the wife didn't like it so he consigned the bike and got an RT.

Funny too, I am looking at a Mazda 3 Mazdaspeed to replace my Altima..
    Integrity is what you do when no one is looking.

2008 R1200R Black

i just ordered a parabellum fairing for my r12r

thanks for all the good inputs, gents.
    they told me it would arrive in jan or feb next year.