Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Replacement fuel pump

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Having purchased a '00 RT in 2010 that had only 6,425 miles on it I can bear witness to the fact that fuel system issues are going to happen. Once you work your way through them and get to that point where you are finally riding a decent running almost new bike that you got for a decent price the feeling is priceless.
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Wanderer View Post
    Having purchased a '00 RT in 2010 that had only 6,425 miles on it I can bear witness to the fact that fuel system issues are going to happen. Once you work your way through them and get to that point where you are finally riding a decent running almost new bike that you got for a decent price the feeling is priceless.
    I know that feeling..
    It is hard to wipe the smile off your face as your riding along with the feeling of satisfaction that you resurrected a neglected low mileage bike, that not been ridden in years, to a smooth running finely tuned "looks like new" motorcycle...

and thank you Paul for the advice on the fuel pump. I did save one from my R1200C

I will run it through the paces as you suggested and if successful save it for a spare
    2000 R1100RT, 2005 R1150RT-P, 1999 R1200C

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    To answer Paul Glaves question about failure mode the one in my former '96 RT failed due to debris I found in the inlet. It was some sort of hardened up gasket material as far as I could tell. I have no idea where it came from. The reason this junk got into the pump however was that the fuel pick up filter sock was deteriorated and wide open on one end and half open on the other. I found some other fairly big slivers of hardened up gasket glue or material in the tank as well.

I have never tried the reverse polarity idea but I still have the failed pump so one of these days I should give it a go.

In another post Paul mentioned the rubber vibration damper. Both my 1100 RT bikes actually did have this part. The one in my '00 RT was deteriorating and starting to come apart when I did this year's filter change. The part price for it (16 14 1 341 232) was just too expensive here in Canada so I stole the one off the old pump from the 96 for now.

I recently discoverd BeemerBoneyard now sells them individually at a reasonable price.
    http://www.beemerboneyard.com/16141341232.html
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT