Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Replacement fuel pump

Replacement fuel pump

My fuel pump on my 1100rt is in need of replacement. I came across this pump from HiFlow fuel.com

http://www.highflowfuel.com/i-892781...1995-2004.html

It almost seems too good to be true. BMW wants around $350,00 and the Beemer boneyard wants more than half that. HiFlowfuel pumps is only $69.00 and comes with a life time warranty. is this too good to be true?? Has anyone had any experience with these pumps? I am thinking of taking the plunge and any input would be appreciated

Thanks
    2000 R1100RT, 2005 R1150RT-P, 1999 R1200C

I would use it.

Its just a high pressure fuel pump like in a car.

David

I have a Beemer Bone yard Kit I'll sell ya for $100 and shipping.

I bought it when I bought the bike. Never needed it, no longer ride the bike.

Its a 2,000 11000.
    2012 R1200R 24,000 MIles
    2011 Versys 14,000 Miles
    2000 R1100RT 140,000 miles
    1976 R75/6 Odometer broken for over 10 years.

It seems hard to pass up at that price but something to consider that any looming problem with the in tank parts often comes without warning.

Do you plan to replace all the in tank hoses and filter while you're in there?
    RB

I plan on replacing the filter, hoses, clamps and rubber seal while I have it apart. I think then I would feel confident and worry free about any more problems

I think it's a really good decision. I was uninformed and learned the importance the hard way: Fuel System Failure.

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Landfellow View Post
    My fuel pump on my 1100rt is in need of replacement. I came across this pump from HiFlow fuel.com

http://www.highflowfuel.com/i-892781...1995-2004.html

It almost seems too good to be true. BMW wants around $350,00 and the Beemer boneyard wants more than half that. HiFlowfuel pumps is only $69.00 and comes with a life time warranty. is this too good to be true?? Has anyone had any experience with these pumps? I am thinking of taking the plunge and any input would be appreciated

Thanks
    I would just go for it without a worry. For that price you could buy two and carry a spare! But I doubt you'll ever need it. Automotive fuel pumps are very reliable these days and the OEM pump price is hard to justify. I put a replacement pump kit in a 96RT which is identical to the one from Beemer Boneyard but I purchased it from EuroMotoElectrics in Colorado. It's still running fine three years later.
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

I can't respond to your PM.

perhaps you could Email?

David
    2012 R1200R 24,000 MIles
    2011 Versys 14,000 Miles
    2000 R1100RT 140,000 miles
    1976 R75/6 Odometer broken for over 10 years.

Last time I replaced mine I used the Beemerboneyard kit. Next time I would use the hi-flow unit.
    The whole fuel tank design is a piece of **** in my opinion.
    '03 R1150R, '03 F650GS, '97DR200SE,'78 Honda CT-90, '77Honda CT-90

Quote Originally Posted by Acejones View Post
    Last time I replaced mine I used the Beemerboneyard kit. Next time I would use the hi-flow unit.
    I agree. This is my 3rd fuel pump replacement (all on different R series bikes I have owned) The first two I went with OEM... they are still running strong but the OEM pricing is a little ridiculous and depending on the model in can be a PITA to replace it

Quote Originally Posted by Landfellow View Post
    I agree. This is my 3rd fuel pump replacement (all on different R series bikes I have owned) The first two I went with OEM... they are still running strong but the OEM pricing is a little ridiculous and depending on the model in can be a PITA to replace it
    I am curious about this history. I ask because we have one R1100 with 370,000 miles on the original pump and an R1150 with 170,000 miles on the pump. I did pick up a new OEM pump cheap from a guy who had a spare and went with a K bike instead of his Oilhead so had no need for the spare pump. But that was about 200,000 miles ago and there is no sign of a pump problem with the installed pumps.

I do change filters occasionally and we haven't run either bike out of gas.

Were the failures sudden "out of the blue" so to speak or were there engine running symptoms?

I'm trying to get a handle on the failure mode. So anybody with a failed pump feel free to chime in with particulars.

Thanks.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Quote Originally Posted by Acejones View Post
    Let me be clear about this. The only reason I would use the Hi-Flo unit is cost. I have had good results with Beemerboneyard and their service.
    My comment about the design is because I think it is a PITA to access and replace the pump.
    '03 R1150R, '03 F650GS, '97DR200SE,'78 Honda CT-90, '77Honda CT-90

What I believe is the reason for the fuel pump replacements on three of my recent motorcycles is that all three bike were purchased from individuals who had the motorcycles in storage or had not been ridden in at least 3 years. They all had the old fuel in the tanks. In every case I drained and flushed all the fluids and changed the filters. I have the feeling that the old fuel contributed to the demise of the pumps. I have had other BMWs that had much higher miles and never had a problem. I realize that when you are getting a bargain on a motorcycle that has not been ridden in years there are times that you have to invest more in the bike. I just enjoy looking for an alternative to expensive OEM parts

Well that makes sense. Fuel pump failures are pretty rare, as Mr. Glaves has alluded to.

These kinds of post-storage failures are common on classic K bikes because the rubber damper that holds the pump dissolves and gums up the pumps. Oilhead bikes don't have the rubber damper, but old fuel can gum them up fairly easily.

Folks who buy a bike that has been sitting are well advised to drain the tank completely. Put in new gas. Dose the gas strongly with a good injector cleaner. Ledt sit for a few days. Then try to run the bike.

or

Remove the tank. Remove the fuel pump. Soak the fuel pump for a few days in a mix of fresh gas and cleaner. Then hook the pump to power and let it run for a while pumping the gas/solvent mix through the pump.

I have resurrected several dead-stuck K75 pumps this way. Also note that if you connect 12dc backwards the pump tries to run backwards. This can sometimes unstick a stuck pump.

Keep the connections tight at the pump and make the final connection(s) at a batttery several feet away.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Death, Taxes, and. . .

. . .sinking more dough (and lotsa time) into a bike that has been sitting for several years.

All these things are absolutely, positively guaranteed to happen, IMHO.

Walking Eagle