Thread: Skill with machinery

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

"Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

That guy can put a container where it's supposed to go.
    Ride far enough today so you can't come home untill tomorrow. 1998 BMW 1100GS
    IBA# 47129

Let's hope he's the guy assigned to unload all those containers of new BMWs
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2009 F800GS
    I can't wait to retire and have a fixed income. The one I have now is always broke.

Dutch Power.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Impressive indeed.

But how many takes were discarded?
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

His buddy is behind the camera pointing right-left-up-stop-go-down-right-etc..

The lift-jockey's I worked with were closer kin to a bull in a china closet than him.

Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    His buddy is behind the camera pointing right-left-up-stop-go-down-right-etc..

The lift-jockey's I worked with were closer kin to a bull in a china closet than him.
    As they teach in any MBA program.....Adequate performance at minimal cost. Accordingly, if your lift-jockey was payed a low enough wage..........then everything was beautiful.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

When I "worked for a living" they(the MBAguys "upstairs") never gave us time to flip coins into bottles for fun. Maybe that's why I was "overpaid" according to the philosophy of some these days?

All hail skilled workmen

The skill of skilled "workmen" is always a pleasure to behold. We're currently having a studio constructed on our property. I couldn't believe that it was possible for the concrete pumper truck to get into position, given our driveway, to pour the foundation. And then the way he maneuvered the huge boom around trees was nothing less than art.

Our contractor and his assistants have been nothing less than wonderful so far as were the guy who installed a new septic field and his assistant. All of them work long hours when that is what the job requires, take few breaks, and do their work efficiently but carefully, often in less than wonderful conditions.

They take real pride in their work.

They also get paid well. I write the checks and am glad to do so. Skilled hard-working folk should be paid enough to live well.
    Doug
    1992 K100RS

Not to get away from fork-lift skills,but your into my "wheelhouse" now. Having worked in tech ed for many years the problem with placing newly trained , skilled students-even our best of the crop-students, often came down to employers being unwilling to pay for what they were getting(esp here in low wage KY!) and asking for a multi skilled wunderkind of an employee but basically unwilling to pay for that skill level. It was commonplace to have them asking for an electrician/mechanic/pipefitter/welder/AC tech(like many such persons exist these days) all rolled into one at below $10 hrly. As much as we didn't want to burn the employer/school bridge I know of some phone calls getting clicked off from these types.I asked a guy once if he would want a dumb-axx to build his house.
    Now, back to flipping pennies...

I used to win lunch money from the new guys at work (long long time ago) with the ' pick up the dime' trick, but never thought about dropping it in a bottle!
    Mike Davis
    "Old n Slow" It's a way of life!
    1985 K100RT

1998 R1100RT

Quote Originally Posted by BCKRIDER View Post
    The skill of skilled "workmen" is always a pleasure to behold. We're currently having a studio constructed on our property. I couldn't believe that it was possible for the concrete pumper truck to get into position, given our driveway, to pour the foundation. And then the way he maneuvered the huge boom around trees was nothing less than art.

Our contractor and his assistants have been nothing less than wonderful so far as were the guy who installed a new septic field and his assistant. All of them work long hours when that is what the job requires, take few breaks, and do their work efficiently but carefully, often in less than wonderful conditions.

They take real pride in their work.

They also get paid well. I write the checks and am glad to do so. Skilled hard-working folk should be paid enough to live well.
    Thanks for that last sentence.

IMO there is a SERIOUS problem when the CEOs etc get millions and the "meat" way down at the bottom of the corporate ladder gets zippo. Worse than zippo, is when the "meat" gets killed in an explosion or collapse, after the CEOs etc decide that safety is too costly. That profit is above human worth.

No "meat" to churn into the machine? No millions. Plain & simple.

Back to the thread; this rant may never end.
    Be The Change You Want To See In The World