Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Rain Gear

I just use army surplus rain gear. Effective and inexpensive. I also use the combat boots that I was issued as my riding boots.
    Lynn
    MOA #57883
    Current Ride: 1995 K75 Standard
    Past: 1978 Yamaha XS 750, 1976 BMW R60/6

After years of being a slave to separate raingear, I decided to invest in decent riding gear that'd keep me dry. I got a Teknic Freeway that keeps me warm and dry from September through April-May (good up to about 80-85 degrees). I wear either AD-1 overpants or Gerbing's Extreme Element pants during the same time period. If I get caught in the rain, I keep riding and I stay warm and dry. If it looks like rain, I don't stress about whether or not I need to stop and put on gear.

In the summer I wear an R3 jacket & pants (or Airglide overpants if I'm commuting). If it's above 90 and I'm not on my way to work, I'm rarely concerned about getting wet. If I really want/need to stay dry, the liners are in in the same amount of time it would take to put on an oversuit. The big benefit is that I don't have a big, billowy set of raingear flapping around.

And no, I have no problem stripping down to my skivvies on the side of the road to put the pants liners in.

I have the BMW RainLock which works great. I did a write-up on it on my blog if you want to check it out.
    http://www.airheadmoto.com/2012/02/b...ycle-rain.html
    Blog: http://swriding.blogspot.com
    Current Bike 1979 BMW 100RT; 2013 BMW R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition; 2008 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic 105th Anniversary Edition

4. 11-29-2012, 02:43 PM

I only have rain pants. My riding jackets are all Goretex, and so far, have managed to stay pretty waterproof.

The pants are Firstgear, and I like them a lot. I got them from newenough.com, now known as motorcyclegear.com. They roll up into a nice little ball, into their own case. I've always got them in the sidebag.
    -----------------------------------------
    Brad D. - Member #105766
    '77 R100RS - Black Beauty (big pipe, baby!)
    '94 R1100RS - Sylvia

I wear my Aerostich gear. Roadcrafter pants with bib top and either the Roadcrafter jacket or a Darien jacket.

If it is going to rain so long or so hard that this is insufficient, then see Post #11, this thread.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

I of course have a rain suit,...and have been known to wear it. ..........

But I confess to heading for Motel 6 ASAP when any real rain comes up.

.................and here I thought I wuz bein' a big'ole wuss....

Quote Originally Posted by 71243 View Post
    I of course have a rain suit,...and have been known to wear it. ..........

But I confess to heading for Motel 6 ASAP when any real rain comes up.

.................and here I thought I wuz bein' a big'ole wuss....
    For about 20 years we went to rallies in the summer. Not just the MOA rally but lots of rallies. Often 14 or 15 weekend rallies in a summer. The routine was to take off early from work on Friday, ride to the rally and arrive late. Saturday we might ride or mght sit around. Sunday we would ride home. The limits kept expanding. Shakamak at 500 miles seemed a long ways until we started going to Sipapu at about 650 miles and Top O'Rockies at just over 800 miles. For Top O'Rockies I'd take all of Friday off. The same thing for Rubber City or the Chicken rally

We went to the rallies rain or shine. In maybe 250 rallies I can remember bailing once, but then we went on to the rally Saturday morning.

When riding in cold rain at night stopped being fun, we stopped doing it.

Somehow stuffing glowing logs under Airhead oil pans to warm the oil so they would start Sunday morning at Falling Leaf lost its appeal for adventure somewhere along the way too.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    For about 20 years we went to rallies in the summer. Not just the MOA rally but lots of rallies. Often 14 or 15 weekend rallies in a summer. The routine was to take off early from work on Friday, ride to the rally and arrive late. Saturday we might ride or mght sit around. Sunday we would ride home. The limits kept expanding. Shakamak at 500 miles seemed a long ways until we started going to Sipapu at about 650 miles and Top O'Rockies at just over 800 miles. For Top O'Rockies I'd take all of Friday off. The same thing for Rubber City or the Chicken rally

We went to the rallies rain or shine. In maybe 250 rallies I can remember bailing once, but then we went on to the rally Saturday morning.

When riding in cold rain at night stopped being fun, we stopped doing it.

Somehow stuffing glowing logs under Airhead oil pans to warm the oil so they would start Sunday morning at Falling Leaf lost its appeal for adventure somewhere along the way too.

Yes indeed...I did riding and many other things differently when I was younger.

And as you say....many things seemed like more fun.

700mile days were normal doing one night stop trips to Florida...300 the next day, and I'd be at my Dad's. Reverse it coming home.......not any more. 1000 mile trip now is 3 days...

Touring Jarhead jeepinbanditrider's Avatar
    I've had good luck just using Wal Mart rain gear by going a few sizes too big to fit over my usual bike gear.

Not sure what your idea of costly is- compared to BMW brand rider wear, it can only get better, I suppose.

I did some research and finally bought a Triumph motorcycle one-piece rain suit. I figured I was going to England in summer 08, and KNEW I'd need it. Used it several times since, and love it. They are a little difficult to get dialed in (LOTS of Velcro & laying over of flaps) but it REALLY works well. There is some amount of retro-reflective material on, so you shine out in night or dim light riding conditions, wheels have their headlights on.

Since this is all I've ever had, I don't have a comparison basis- unless you compare jeans and a leather jacket.

About 100.00. I found it to be about the middle of the pricing range, for moto- specific rain wear. I think now that Triumph also makes them in two piece configurations?
    Be The Change You Want To See In The World

Another choice

You might want to look at Cycleport's (Motoport?) rain gear. It has some type of breathable fabric barrier but is seriously rainproof. (At least mine is).

Price is medium to medium to high. I think the jacket is $150.00 and the pants are about $99.00