Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rain Gear

Hybrid View

Rain Gear

Time for a new rain suit. Any suggestions on an outfit that really works but won't break the bank? Thanks, Bill..

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    frog toggs
    2010 F800GS Full Ohlins package, '04 R1100S Replika
    '01 F650GS Wife's bike
    Maritime Alps and Vosges 2012
    Tuscany and Central Italy 2010

Touring Rider
    +1 on the Frogg Toggs.
    Gary
    Casa Grande, AZ
    2011 R1200RT

Bass Pro Shops Rain gear dept. I wear all of my gear into the store & try there rain gear on.
    Dave
    2004 Black LT
    2000 Canyon Red LT
    The Only Vehicles I Own

Why not get a one piece suit (ex. Olympia Phantom) that is all in one waterproof and has zippered vents. Who wants to stop on the side of the road and put on a separate suit?
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350

I became a believer in Frogg Toggs last month. I have a bunch of weatherproof gear, but decided not to take it on a trip to the Keys. On my return trip I rode for about five hours in some fairly nasty rain. I had on a Joe Rockett mesh jacket with a liner and put on my Frog Togg pants. I was absolutely surprised and impressed with the performance of the Toggs. They are cheap, light weight and pack easily. I just roll them up and put them under the netting on my top case. They are definitely my warm weather rain pants.
    '03 R1150R, '03 F650GS, '97DR200SE,'78 Honda CT-90, '77Honda CT-90

Motorcycle Classics had a short review of a few rain suits in the last issue: http://www.motorcycleclassics.com/cl...z12ndzbea.aspx
    Jim
    '78 R80/7 and '84 R100RS (Blues Brothers)
    '90 and '93 Red Mazda Miatas ("Jelly Bean" and "Red Hot")
    '96 Giant Upland (big Kendas & freshly greased bearings!)

Motel 6.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

^5 on the Motel 6
    93 K1100LT

Webb Benninghoven
    I've been exceedingly happy with my Frogg Toggs "Motorcycle" edition rain gear. I bought them online (eBay) for like 120 bucks. I have used them now for 3 seasons. Riding here in FL means that I wear them nearly every day from June through November. Rode through TS Debbie this past summer. Both my wife and I were nearly completely dry after 5+ hours riding in very hard rain. Would definitely buy them again.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by 43Ejumper View Post
    Time for a new rain suit. Any suggestions on an outfit that really works but won't break the bank? Thanks, Bill..
    Nelson-Rigg Stormrider Two-piece Rain Gear @ $50

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...-Rainsuit.aspx

!
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

Have had good luck with Frogg Toggs but this year finally shelled out the money for a gortex jacket and pants (Klim Latitude).

It was pricey but absolutely the best investment in riding I have ever made. Can ride all day in showery weather without constantly putting additional suits off an on.

If I were to buy again I would get the Klim Traverse jacket and pants with the D30 armour. The stuff is absolutely top quality gear and worth the premium price.

I just use army surplus rain gear. Effective and inexpensive. I also use the combat boots that I was issued as my riding boots.
    Lynn
    MOA #57883
    Current Ride: 1995 K75 Standard
    Past: 1978 Yamaha XS 750, 1976 BMW R60/6

Mind is not for rent
    After years of being a slave to separate raingear, I decided to invest in decent riding gear that'd keep me dry. I got a Teknic Freeway that keeps me warm and dry from September through April-May (good up to about 80-85 degrees). I wear either AD-1 overpants or Gerbing's Extreme Element pants during the same time period. If I get caught in the rain, I keep riding and I stay warm and dry. If it looks like rain, I don't stress about whether or not I need to stop and put on gear.

In the summer I wear an R3 jacket & pants (or Airglide overpants if I'm commuting). If it's above 90 and I'm not on my way to work, I'm rarely concerned about getting wet. If I really want/need to stay dry, the liners are in in the same amount of time it would take to put on an oversuit. The big benefit is that I don't have a big, billowy set of raingear flapping around.

And no, I have no problem stripping down to my skivvies on the side of the road to put the pants liners in.

I have the BMW RainLock which works great. I did a write-up on it on my blog if you want to check it out.
    http://www.airheadmoto.com/2012/02/b...ycle-rain.html
    Blog: http://swriding.blogspot.com
    Current Bike 1979 BMW 100RT; 2013 BMW R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition; 2008 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic 105th Anniversary Edition