Thread: Removing Ethanol From E10 Fuel

Hybrid View

Removing Ethanol From E10 Fuel

Great How-To article in the December issue of Motorcycle Consumer News

Get the chance check it out

That's nice to know. It appears that you need a subscription to read the article. If I had a subscription, I'd already know about the article.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

It's a fairly lame article IMHO.

It's a lab procedure and you'd be sick of it after making maybe enough to fill a motorcycle gas tank.

The funny part was that after you remove the ethanol you'll need to add back an octane booster. The articles says "you'll turn premium into regular."
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

For Oilheads and newer, I'm not sure what problem removing ethanol is trying to solve. It's a valid Octane booster and oxygenator.

Funny thing is if you search the web some high performance engine builders seem to be trying pure ethanol. Not that our bikes would run on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger 04 RT View Post
    For Oilheads and newer, I'm not sure what problem removing ethanol is trying to solve. It's a valid Octane booster and oxygenator.

Funny thing is if you search the web some high performance engine builders seem to be trying pure ethanol. Not that our bikes would run on it.
    Pure alcohol fuels predate WWII. Race cars have been using it for years.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    But isn't that methanol, not ethanol?

Back in my early college days I did run my Toyota Corolla on pure ethanol, though. (Well, 95% ethanol, not neat ethanol.) It seemed to run fine.
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '05 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Interesting. The sites I was reading were touting its detonation resisting qualities.

Robos' pictures showing the phase separation of water to measure alcohol content are interesting--and at the same time a warning. Get some water in the tank and the same thing happens--and your effective Octane plummets.

Isn't Heet very hard on rubber hoses?

My two cents worth....

I've used ethanol (nominally 10% ethanol) in my cars, motorcycles and small engines (i.e. lawn mower and snowblower) for at least ten years and it has never caused me any problems whatsoever.

Phase separation has never happened to me, and I live in Ontario where it can get down to -35F in the winter. In fact, ethanol actually has improved my engine starting reliability by removing any small traces of residual moisture from the gas tank, keeping my gas tank bone dry in the process. I used to add gas-line antifreeze in the winter time but have never had to since I have been using ethanol; I think my system is as dry as a bone due to the ethanol.

Realistically, unless you are dealing with a flawed gas station that has a large amount of water in their underground storage tanks, you probably aren't adding any water to your gas tank when you fill up, so the fear of large amounts of water causing phase separation is probably a red herring. I bet if I drained the fuel out of my motorcycle and cars there wouldn't be a trace of water.

It also amazed me that MCN is recommending that people start removing ethanol from their gasoline. Gasoline is extremely flammable, and there is not a word of caution in their article about the fire and safey hazard of playing around with open containers of gasoline and ethanol.