Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mexico-Here I go Again!

Thumbs up Mexico-Here I go Again!

I'm thinking of a Jan/2013 trip- anybody interested in ride partnering? I've never found one here yet but as they say never hurts to try.

Certifiable Old Fart beemerdons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    I'm thinking of a Jan/2013 trip- anybody interested in ride partnering? I've never found one here yet but as they say never hurts to try.
    http://www.azbeemers.org/forum/index.php?topic=3904.0 kantuckid: You can ride with AZ Beemers either North or South on the Baja California Peninsula; or both. We depart Phoenix on Friday, January 25 arriving in Cabo San Lucas on Monday January 28, we then head back to Phoenix on Friday, February 1 arriving in Arizona on Monday, February 4.
    Don Stanley; aka Chuy Medina "El Burrito Ballerina"
    BMWMOA #24810; www.azbeemers.org/forum #89

Polar Opposite
    What is your proposed itinerary?

Quote Originally Posted by windypoint View Post
    What is your proposed itinerary?
    wp: Were you asking for kantuckid's or BeemerDons' itinerary? AZB details are in the link.

Thanks for the PM/link Beemerdons. I am thinking to leave before your group.

WP: PM me if you were asking my itinerary,thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    Thanks for the PM/link Beemerdons. I am thinking to leave before your group.

WP: PM me if you were asking my itinerary,thanks.
    http://www.pueblobonito-loscabos.com...cas-hotel.aspx kantuckid, here's where we AZ Beemers will be staying the nights of Monday 1/28 through Friday 1/1 at noon.

Would definitely be interested in something on the Baja. Clear Tijuana by noon on day one then on down to Ensenada. Night in Ensenada, then on south toward Baja.

If our plans for Baja come together, I will not enter @ Tijuana as I'm in KY.It would be easy to meet in Baja after entry as there are very few paved roads. We are thinking approx. a week in Baja then I'd take my wife to the AP & I'd ferry to mainland.If it turns out that we don't go to Baja then I'll likely enter @ Eagle Pass or other spot.
    Windypoint expressed interest in Copper Canyon which is too snowy for me in January but I'm open to other routes. I lean toward either of these: the Pacific coast & southward or perhaps westerly then maybe Tamazanchule and then south. Both offer some of the best roads/scenery I've seen/ridden!
    It's been mid 60's here in E. KY(had one snow so far) so hard to get hyped for heading south right now.

Well now that it's actually cold in KY, I'm a bit more into Mexico riding. In looking @ the map some I've drawn the same conclusion as previously-Baja just isn't worth the 2,200 miles+, one way to Mexicali crossing for me & then of course it's another 1,000 to LaPaz. For people in SW(& off roaders) it is a great destination,just not for me & I've been there before- 4 times.It's forgo Baja on bike & head for Eagle Pass or Reynosa & then down for me.
    Last edited by kantuckid; 11-26-2012 at 12:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by moot View Post
    Would definitely be interested in something on the Baja. Clear Tijuana by noon on day one then on down to Ensenada. Night in Ensenada, then on south toward Baja.
    http://www.villafontana.com.mx/indexing.htm AZ Beemers Club #89 will be spending Friday night January 25 at the Villa Fontana Inn in downtown Ensenada, B.C..

We'll cross at Tecate; I've been riding Mexico for 45+ years now: I won't cross at Tijuana!!

My "plan"(what there is of one) now has my departure near mid-January from KY & ride generally toward Toluca,MX to hook up with a friend/rider there, then all ride together on to Guatemala for more touring-all on pavement for me. I'll be somewhat open to the route in Mexico but I do have my favorite rides/spots that I'd like to pass through enroute. PM me if you're ready for some sunshine & curves.

My plan was riding to Cabo and La Paz, then the boat to Mazatlan, and down to Zihuatanejo. At xmas & 1/1, roughly.
    Now I have no idea when my departure date might be. But I'm still thinking that I want to go thru' Baja again.
    I never had a problem crossing into Mexico at Tijuana. But I will only return by way of Tecate, or Mexicali. Mexicali, motorcycles cut to the front of the line (per US Customs word).
    dc

As I stated above, I just decided that the extra miles past my regular Texas border crossing (to get to Baja) it's just not worth it to me coming from the east. It's ~ 1,350 to Reynosa from my house &~2,200-so another couple days ride to Baja/Mexicali crossing. I'm never in a hurry on these winter rides, but can ride a lot of mainland Mexico for the same miles in better riding locales(mountains galore),IOW, not all desert & buzzard country after the northern layer of Mexico mainland, plus gives more time in Guatemala. We are doing a fly & drive to Baja soon and I've been there before so I changed my mind to do mainland Mexico & GT. Belize is a possibility too.
    At this point I have nobody thats partnering with me until Toluca,MX. I hope to get away ~ Jan 15th

Quote Originally Posted by Beemerdons View Post
    [url]
    We'll cross at Tecate; I've been riding Mexico for 45+ years now: I won't cross at Tijuana!!
    If someone leaves from just north of San Diego, which entry point you would recommend to go to Cabos - Tecate or Tijuana?

I know Tijuana is worlds most crossed border, so it would be busier than Tecate.

There is something about 45 years of experience that causes me to listen very carefully...

Quote Originally Posted by Montauk View Post
    If someone leaves from just north of San Diego, which entry point you would recommend to go to Cabos - Tecate or Tijuana?

I know Tijuana is worlds most crossed border, so it would be busier than Tecate.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...rder_crossings

Montauk, if you live in downtown San Diego directly above the San Ysidro crossing it does make sense for you to cross there. But if you're coming from any farther north I highly recommend you use Otay Mesa crossing six miles to the East. I had bad experience in TJ!

However the Tecate crossing is just 40 miles East of San Ysidro and you will make up the time with the speed with which you can cross over at Tecate, versus doing it in Tijuana.