Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Mexico-Here I go Again!

In 63 years, I have never seen any wait heading south. The only wait time I ever saw was heading north. And I have seen photos of 4 to 6 hour wait times at ... Tecate.
    dc

Quote Originally Posted by Beemerdons View Post
    Montauk, if you live in downtown San Diego directly above the San Ysidro crossing it does make sense for you to cross there. But if you're coming from any farther north I highly recommend you use Otay Mesa crossing six miles to the East. I had bad experience in TJ!
    Don, thanks for your quick reply. I did not know of Otay Mesa crossing. That's another good option. Based on your web link, Tecate is lot less traffic even when compared to Otay Mesa.

I live in Irvine, CA ... about an hour ride north from the border.

Certifiable Old Fart beemerdons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Montauk View Post
    Don, thanks for your quick reply. I did not know of Otay Mesa crossing. That's another good option. Based on your web link, Tecate is lot less traffic even when compared to Otay Mesa.

I live in Irvine, CA ... about an hour ride north from the border.
    What makes Tecate especially nice for me is the ease of picking up your Mexican Tourist Permit Card and close proximity of a bank to pay for it. At Tecate the MEX Immigration Office is right at the crossing with secure parking, not so in TJ. Decade ago my R1100GS was vandalized there with small items stolen off of it!

When I ride Mexico I am always so far South and for so many days I require the Permit. Just three blocks South of the Tecate Station is a BanaMEX where I pay.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CERTIFICADOS DE NACIMIENTO DE MEXICO, GARANTIZADOS
    Mexico has a tourist fee they charge visitors. If you are either staying in Mexico longer than 72 hours or traveling past the Border Zone you will need to pay the Tourist Card fee of roughly $25 US dollars. The card, known as the Migratory Tourist Form (FMT) is valid for six months (180 days) with multiple entries. Make sure you ask for the full 180 days even is you plan to stay only a short time. You never know if you may return in those 180 days.

In Baja California, the border zone has been extended to San Quintin, on the Pacific side and San Felipe, on the Sea of Cortez. Sonora state has extended it's border zone to San Carlos. In mainland states along the border, this includes a 16-20 mile zone south of the border. Some areas have "tourist corridors" such as Baja, please check with the Mexican Consulate in your area.

According to the law you must have the Tourist Card on you while traveling (make a copy if possible in case original is lost). You can pick up a card at the border, just stop at immigration as you cross into Mexico, parking is available. You must have either a current passport.

Immigration will not take money for the card, you must go to a bank. You can also pay the fee at any bank in Mexico, where upon they will stamp your Tourist Card paid. You must then go back to immigration, or the next immigration office in the next town you visit, and have them stamp your card as valid. Make sure you do this right away, do not wait until your trip is half over. Your best bet is to take care of all of this at the border.
    Last edited by Beemerdons; 12-12-2012 at 12:14 PM.
    Don Stanley; aka Chuy Medina "El Burrito Ballerina"
    BMWMOA #24810; www.azbeemers.org/forum #89

Well, in April, in Tijuana, at the border, at immigration, I got my tourist card, immigration took the money, gave me the card, maybe 6 minutes, my bike parked right outside the door, not even sure I took off my helmet, back on the road, no one anywhere at any time ever asked me for the tourist card. Nonetheless, I had it.
    I don't know. Maybe you guys don't speak their language, or something.
    dc

http://www.azbeemers.org/forum/index.php?topic=3904.0 Atenci??n Montauk: My Ride to Baja was "sold out" within 24 hours of my posting it up to www.azbeemers.org/forum

However, one of the couples just now called me and they can't go due to personal issues.

If you and your significant other wanted to take their Baja place, just contact me by a PM!

PM sent

Quote Originally Posted by Montauk View Post
    PM sent
    Montauk, reply PM was sent. Con Mucho Gusto! Recuerdos, Chuy

Quote Originally Posted by David13 View Post
    Well, in April, in Tijuana, at the border, at immigration, I got my tourist card, immigration took the money, gave me the card, maybe 6 minutes, my bike parked right outside the door, not even sure I took off my helmet, back on the road, no one anywhere at any time ever asked me for the tourist card. Nonetheless, I had it.
    I don't know. Maybe you guys don't speak their language, or something.
    dc
    I buy insurance ,get TVIP, etc. & nobody cares "down there" if you have them -except when you cross that "20k from the border line" & the MX feds stop you.

Look out the window. Does it get you in a Mexico riding mood?

Since I dont ride snowmobiles or skis, somewhere away from todays "blizzard" here in the Ohio valley at Cincinnati.
    With near 3 months of ice & wet/white cold stuff remaining here; my trailers packed for Florida after 1st of year.
    But Baja.... midpoint south, would do! This storm does make for a pretty holiday week... yet sunshine's way better.

Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    Look out the window. Does it get you in a Mexico riding mood?
    +1, Gunny; even though it is sunny and warm here in Central Arizona, I can't wait to let out the clutch for Mexico on 1/25!