Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: work stands

Hybrid View

work stands

howdy all,

i want to ask: what does everybody like for a work stand?

i have an R90/6 and i would like to get the front wheel higher off the ground than the center-stand gets it.

i'd also like to have the rear wheel off the ground without asking my wife to lift up on the rear of the bike.

thanks in advance,

-eric

Quote Originally Posted by ezwicky View Post
    howdy all,

i want to ask: what does everybody like for a work stand?

i have an R90/6 and i would like to get the front wheel higher off the ground than the center-stand gets it.

i'd also like to have the rear wheel off the ground without asking my wife to lift up on the rear of the bike.

thanks in advance,

-eric
    It all depends on how high I need to raise things. I sometimes put the center stand on one or more lengths of 2x6.

To keep the rear off the ground, I put an adjustable jack-stand under rear axle.

For more height, I have an Aerostich Wheel Crate Workstand (steel model).
    Justin in Somerville, MA

Your ultimate goal is a lift.

Why waste the $$ on interim solutions?
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Gandalf

Rear wheel higher off the ground

I had to do this to fix a flat
    I learned this at an airhead tech sessionimage.jpg

I usually hoist the whole bike off the ground or one end or the other
    with a comealong ratchet type fence stretcher to the rafters in one location
    Or an electric chain hoist in another location

If you only need 4 to 6 inches you can use a stack of 2"x material about 3 ft long
    put bike on centerstand on hard surface back bike onto one 2x to make centerstand lift easier then kick the board out
    tie centerstand forward to front motormount bolts or other so it won't fold up
    put 2 x 8 end against inside of far side of stand away from you
    lean bike toward you and push end under far centerstand leg
    lean bike away from you and kick near end under nearside centerstand leg
    then repeat the process with 2x6 on top of the 2x8
    then repeat the process with 2x4 on top of the 2x6 if necessary

you can get quite high with no back strain or serious muscle work

then use jack or lever to teeter the bike to elevate whichever end you need up and block it there with something

go to work
    Last edited by 44006; 11-20-2012 at 02:37 AM.

If you do the bike on the 2 X 4 process: remember to loop a belt, comealong, or something solid from the crossbeam of the center stand to the crossover tube of the exhaust. This prevents the embassassing event of the rolling foward and resting on the oil pan...or in the worse case scenerio, on the front forks, oil pan and final drive... Trust me on this...

Mac
    Mac
    1986 R80RT, 2005 R1200GS
    Livin' Large On The Lake

Quote Originally Posted by stanley83 View Post
    I sometimes put the center stand on one or more lengths of 2x6.
    thanks. i did this trick and it's what i was looking for as far as the front wheel goes.
    BMWMOA #182796

'76 R90/6

I use two milk crates and a 2"x 12"x 8' plank. I was able to stabilize it by attaching a spreader 2x2 to the front box. (Just like the three hundred dollar aluminum one.) I thought it would be a bit sketchy but after taking the exhaust nuts off with out rocking the bike I was able to relax and wrench away. There was a bit of a sag to the plank but a pair of 2x2 's screwed to the edges made it solid. Another milk crate for a seat, and I could sit and comfortably work on the heads and cylinders. Plus it was the perfect height to peer into the headlight bucket.

John D'oh

Wood Work Stand from the MOA News years ago...

It took me a while to find the drawing I made. This seemed like a good idea 20 years ago but now the cost of the materials might be an issue. Lash the front or rear wheel down and move the opposite table out of the way for unrestricted access or just leave them together for a great work bench. I took the basic dimensions from the original drawing. I'd suggest doing a chalk layout on the floor of your garage just to be sure. I use the Handy Lift myself. Good used ones go for around $400.00 - $500.00 in this area and show up on Craigs list every 6 months or so. What would the wood cost to make the table as drawn? I might add a largish flat steel plate to place under the center stand. OH~! drawing not to scale :-)
    Attached Images Attached Images

What a cool sketch and neat idea! Impressive group we have here!
    Ken Tuvman
    Excelsior, MN
    K75s, R65LS, R60/5

Dcompson
    Who makes that lift?

James.A
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcompson View Post
    Who makes that lift?
    I took one of those out the door at Harbor Freight for $339 with the right combination of coupons. You would want to drill and fit eye-bolts on the corners, and USE them with ratchet straps. I am going to fab up some outriggers for the frame.

Dcompson
    Thanks for the info, it's now on my list.

The hydraulic lift table is by far the best choice. Strong, stable, continuously variable height adjustment. I park my bike on my lift so as to economize on space. If this doesn't work for you, I wouldn't be surprised if you could park your car over it to save space as well.

My only gripe is that with my faired bike I have yet to find a good way to align the front tire with the chock while pushing the machine onto the stand. Second & third attempts wear me out.

Quote Originally Posted by amiles View Post
    The hydraulic lift table is by far the best choice. Strong, stable, continuously variable height adjustment. I park my bike on my lift so as to economize on space. If this doesn't work for you, I wouldn't be surprised if you could park your car over it to save space as well.

My only gripe is that with my faired bike I have yet to find a good way to align the front tire with the chock while pushing the machine onto the stand. Second & third attempts wear me out.
    Don't know if it'd help or not but two parallel lines straight down table from edges of chock really helped me.

FWIW - you can get a $299 coupon for the HF lift out of pretty much any motorcycle magazine. (American Iron, Cycle World, etc)

I've got a handy lift and it took me a bit to bite the bullet but I wish I had done it years ago