Thread: Fuel reserve

Hybrid View

Saint Cloud, FL Near Orlando International Airport

Fuel reserve

My manual says my ST has 4.2 gallons of usable fuel. It then says it has 1.1 gallons of reserve fuel. So, is the reserve included in the "usable fuel" or do I actually have a total of 5.3 gallons?
    Also, how does one access the reserve fuel, or is it an indication on my multi-function display? On my old Honda ST1300 when you got low on fuel the MFD would count down the miles till empty.
    Thanks in advance. Doug

You have 4.2 galloms of fuel. You might stufff 4.5gal in there but there is no 1.1 gal resereve.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Quote Originally Posted by a330boy View Post
    My manual says my ST has 4.2 gallons of usable fuel. It then says it has 1.1 gallons of reserve fuel. So, is the reserve included in the "usable fuel" or do I actually have a total of 5.3 gallons?
    Also, how does one access the reserve fuel, or is it an indication on my multi-function display? On my old Honda ST1300 when you got low on fuel the MFD would count down the miles till empty.
    Thanks in advance. Doug
    You only have a total fuel load of 4.2 gallons, the "reserve" is included in that total. It is not a separate reserve; being "on reserve" merely signifies that your fuel level is down to the final 1.1 gallons in the tank. BTW, I've heard that the 1.1 gallons of reserve is only an approximation, some bikes seem to have a tad more, some a bit less. I recommend you determine (w/o actually running dry) precisely how much YOUR bike has before you trust it completely.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

Quote Originally Posted by a330boy View Post
    It then says it has 1.1 gallons of reserve fuel. So, is
    I'm not familiar with the computer on the ST, but most of the new BMWs will show a yellow triangle and maybe a flashing symbol of a gas pump when you hit the 1.1 gal reserve. On my K1300S the computer display will then switch to remaining range to empty.
    Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

jeepinbanditrider
    What everyone above said. I've found my ST's trip computer to be fairly accurate as far as remaining fuel range goes.

Unhappy Running on Empty

Quote Originally Posted by jeepinbanditrider View Post
    What everyone above said. I've found my ST's trip computer to be fairly accurate as far as remaining fuel range goes.
    I blissfully trusted the computer on my ST1300 until the day I ran out a mile from a gas station with DTE indicated as 30km.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepinbanditrider View Post
    Perhaps you've not had to push a bike to a fuel station? Lucky. I have pushed once too often (and gotten lost once too often because of a GPS), and thus I am very distrustful of ALL electronic gadgets. Call me old-school.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

jeepinbanditrider
    Old School

HAHA I don't blindly trust it I know how far the bike will really go as I've tested it. My bike will regularly go past "0" and still keep going. Every bike is different and you need to find out what your bike and equipment can and can't do BEFORE you trust it. I have so I do trust my gear.