Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Crossing the Midwest and Plains

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    I'd highly recommend US 18 in South Dakota and 14A in Wyoming.

Camp in Wind Caves.
    hmmmm Yummmmm 14a, It is a very nice road, I would also suggest 16 over the big horn Mts. just a little south of 14a
    The only difference between me and a madman... is that I'm not mad...DALI
    1990 K75T-- paint code 666
    1973 R75/5-- toaster curry orange
    2001 325xit-- titanium silver

14A goes through the Bighorns, too.

Last time I was through was 2010 on the way to Redmond, and it was under construction *big time* (as in, I was really glad I was on the GS and have good off-pavement skills...)

16 is also an extremely nice road, with lots of good camping along the way.

Ian

Middle USA:)

You know what I like best of my travels in middle USA? Crossed it dozens of times and its always the folks living there in the plains. They are nice folks, about everywhere and so easy to talk to, very friendly and will go out of their way to make you welcome. Just cannot beat that! I've had "more than once", been invited home to take shelter from storms that were VERY intimidating and dangerous. Complete strangers and just plain good people. I always enjoy the travels in the plains and so many complain about it. They just are not looking or hearing well!....Randy

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    You know what I like best of my travels in middle USA? Crossed it dozens of times and its always the folks living there in the plains. They are nice folks, about everywhere and so easy to talk to, very friendly and will go out of their way to make you welcome. Just cannot beat that! I've had "more than once", been invited home to take shelter from storms that were VERY intimidating and dangerous. Complete strangers and just plain good people. I always enjoy the travels in the plains and so many complain about it. They just are not looking or hearing well!....Randy
    Good for you, Randy! I wish I had that much time to ride. It seems most of my rides are snuck in on the way to or from work. Sometimes I loop home via NY or NH, but there is so precious little time to myself. So when I have my annual vacation I make the most of it. In this case the lure of the Rockies and the PNW far outweighs that of the plains.
    '07 R1200GS for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan dual sport sidecar for rides with Barley

Us 20

For the Second Redmond rally I took US 20 from Omaha all the way west. The Pine Ridge in northern Nebraska is really quite scenic as are the sand hills. Wyoming, Idaho and Utah were nice on 20 also.

Joe/Omaha

I'm looking hard at US 26 for most of the route. It seems to pass through some WILD geology along the way.

Thoughts?

I live just off US 36 in Ohio and just south of US 30. Both are interesting roads I have used to go west.

US 30 is a more mixed bag. You get into city traffic as you go south of Chicago.

Give thought to US 12 past Minneapolis. The section across Idaho is one of the most beautiful roads I have ever been on.
    George
    R1200RT, K1200RS. Previous K1200LT, R80RT, R100R, R75/5

Quote Originally Posted by SQUAREHEAD View Post
    hmmmm Yummmmm 14a, It is a very nice road, I would also suggest 16 over the big horn Mts. just a little south of 14a

What are traffic conditions going to be like in the middle of July as US 14 approches Yellowstone ? I'll be heading west should I bail out before I get close somewhere around Cody?
    Anthony S.
    2012 R1200GS

How to get to the Rockies

Quote Originally Posted by glenfiddich View Post
    West to the Salem Rally and back home to Vermont again. From the Rockies to the coastline I have it all figured out, but oh the great flatness! Barley and I have taken 24/224 from Iowa to Ohio. It wasn't too bad. We made good time, there wasn't much to see but there also weren't many towns forcing us to slow down for a phalanx of stoplights. We also took 50 from WV to MO, but while the highway itself was okay it managed to get gobbled up by Interstate or passed right thru major cities, both of which I try to avoid.

Two I have not yet tried are US 30 and 36. Am also looking at 24 as far as Peoria IL, then either 34 or 136 to the NE corner of Colorado. The goal is to get the flat stuff behind me as fast as possible without actually slabbing so we can maximize our time out West.

Any recommendations for one route over the others?

Pete
    I have a suggestion for you based on a number of trips west from Ohio and Pennsylvania that I have taken. Take Rt 20. If you do you will make great time and you will also discover something about crossing the central US that your post suggests you may not have not yet experienced.
    I suggest that you hop on Rt 20 at Dubuque Iowa. Then soak in the thrill of riding across The High Plains. Treat your self to the Field of Dreams movie site at Dresden. The rolling hills west of Sioux will be green and lush. The great expanse of western Nebraska is simply magnificent. Chadron is an oasis town with lush meadows, a small college and has the Museum of the Fur Trade on Rt 20. Did you know that Nebraska has several National Forests? You will pass by them. Stop at Fort Robinson just west of Chadron, you will be blown away by the story of this fort. There is camping here as well as rooms in the fort. Eat in the officers mess. You could stay on 20 all the way to Salem if you wish.
    I have ridden to the West some 20 times and it took me a number of trips to discover that the High Plains offer great riding and an experience offered no where else in the world!! This vast area is full of hidden treasures and is much more than simply a place that must be crossed to reach the mountains.
    I will be on this ride to Oregon departing central Pa July 12th. Enjoy!!
    By the way, Rt 36 is great also. In fact I have often used 20 and 36 to make a loop out of western trips. However Rt 20 is the more interesting in my opinion.
    Happy trails Barley!

Don't forget the awesome motorcycle museum at Anamosa Iowa.Worthcarving out time for a stop.
    Ed Baker