Thread: Valve Guides ,83 R100

Arctic Art

Valve Guides ,83 R100

I want to replace the valve guides in a set of heads.My choices are BMW original parts or Epco high temp guides,which are a little more costly.Any insights as to these valve guides.??? Thank You
    Last edited by 140008; 11-16-2012 at 10:24 PM. Reason: rewording

jimmy armour

valve guides

HI ,in the past I have taken my heads to my local car speed machine shop, they advised me not to disturb the old guides, but have them reamed and a liner,sleive installed!first time this was done they used my old valves ,that was about20 years ago, a couple of years ago I bought new valves ,300,000 plus km on the old ones,they once again installed a liner slieve,and all seems well, I understand this is popular in the uk on vintage/classic bikes and cars ,it saves the valve seat being recut at different angles,each time the guides are renewed,so far I have put over 200,000km on lined guides, also much cheaper hope this assists Jimmy

Quote Originally Posted by jimwjarmour View Post
    HI ,in the past I have taken my heads to my local car speed machine shop, they advised me not to disturb the old guides, but have them reamed and a liner,sleive installed!first time this was done they used my old valves ,that was about20 years ago, a couple of years ago I bought new valves ,300,000 plus km on the old ones,they once again installed a liner slieve,and all seems well, I understand this is popular in the uk on vintage/classic bikes and cars ,it saves the valve seat being recut at different angles,each time the guides are renewed,so far I have put over 200,000km on lined guides, also much cheaper hope this assists Jimmy
    Is this done by anyone here in US?

jimmy armour

valve guides

Sorry I dont know, but the company I used was Forest&Forest racing in Kitchener ontario,they build race cars and drag strip cars and all sorts of street mods , they also race tune motorcycles,just two brothers no web site,but always busy,they have machine repaired my 5th gear shaft and gear,p s I have just found out they have moved premises to Ayr ontario,check your local yellow pages for auto machine shops ,hope this assists ,Jimmy

jimmy armour

scroll valve guide inserts

Hello again,have done a google search under "scroll valve guide inserts"and all sorts came up try head shop for info,also this months" classic bike" a gentleman uses them on his Ducati ,again hope this assists Jimmy

I replaced the guides on my R75/6 with some "high temp" ones. Watch out because some of the are shorter than the BMW part. A little less support for the valve stem.
    Dave
    BMW R 1150 RT Kawasaki KLR 650
    BMW R 75/6 Honda C70 Passport
    BMW R 100 RT Under Construction