Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: BMW Parking

The parking dolly was one that I got at Princess Auto (Canada's equivilant to Harbour Freight) a few years ago, haven't seen them again since. It wasn't terribly expensive, around $100 if I recall correctly. It works quite well allowing us to get the bike tucked in the space much easier than trying to manhandle it in. The ST is the low suspension version with no center stand, so the typical Park-n-move type dollys wouldn't work.

Here is a picture of it from their site archives.

The shelf is lag screwed into the 2x6 studs as is the brace. The base framework is 2x4s with a 3/4" plywood top and vinyl tiles. There is a 2x6 doubled onto the base frame overlapping the plywood and tile to cover the edges. Its all put together with construction screws and is quite solid. Plus, the Bonneville is not a terribly heavy bike.

The door insulation is Reflectix, which is basically high tech mylar bubble wrap, and under that is 1" styrofoam panels. The styrofoam is glued on and the Reflectix is held on with sheetmetl scres with washers. the sheets are 4' wide and the seams are taped with aluminum foil tape.
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2009 F800GS
    I can't wait to retire and have a fixed income. The one I have now is always broke.

Looking good, Ed.

Did you have to get a DP for the addition? And where do you get that insulation?
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Quote Originally Posted by MCMXCIVRS View Post
    The parking dolly was one that I got at Princess Auto (Canada's equivilant to Harbour Freight) a few years ago, haven't seen them again since. It wasn't terribly expensive, around $100 if I recall correctly. It works quite well allowing us to get the bike tucked in the space much easier than trying to manhandle it in. The ST is the low suspension version with no center stand, so the typical Park-n-move type dollys wouldn't work.

Here is a picture of it from their site archives.

Harbor Freight #95986 Currently on sale $79.99 USD

Video
    I'd think the more upright position of the Park-N-Move would save more space if you have a centerstand.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

you organized guys are SICKOS

i just finished assembling the harbor frieght dolly. (too tired to put a bike on it)

went together pretty nicely. seems to be well built/well designed. got short changed on a few lock washers.
    "Enemy fighters at 2 o'clock!...Roger, What should i do until then?"

2010 r1200r, 2009 harley crossbones, 2008 triumph/sidecar, 1970 norton commando 750

Quote Originally Posted by rinty View Post
    Looking good, Ed.

Did you have to get a DP for the addition? And where do you get that insulation?
    Rin, I did have to go through the painful process of getting a development permit. It took almost six months to get that approval - longer than it took to build the darn thing.
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    I can't wait to retire and have a fixed income. The one I have now is always broke.

I recall that your existing garage is a double, so I thought you might be getting close to the magic percentage area for allowed development.

And when the DP circulates, you find out if your neighbours really do love you.
    Rinty

Quote Originally Posted by f14rio View Post

Wow, looks like Sandy hit you pretty hard
    Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Wow, looks like Sandy hit you pretty hard
    OK, that get's my vote for "Snarky Comment of the Year"
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    I was joking, that's why I used used the smilie. I apologize if it was taken as a rude comment.
    Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

I thought that was a great caption.

I live thousands of miles from the east cost, but my basement often looks like Sandy was here.
    Ride Well, Ride Often, Ride to

Charter Member "High Town" crew.

Whirldog71
    Excuse my ignorance, I live in Texas. Did you have to get permits to put a shelf in an existing garage, or is this the finished interior of a new building?

Quote Originally Posted by rinty View Post
    I recall that your existing garage is a double, so I thought you might be getting close to the magic percentage area for allowed development.

And when the DP circulates, you find out if your neighbours really do love you.
    The original was all ready at the maximums, I'm now well over in all aspects except the total lot coverage. Never had any protests from the neighborhood, it was all city red tape. Had to go to appeal with reduced plans to get it through.

Quote Originally Posted by LucyBingo View Post
    Excuse my ignorance, I live in Texas. Did you have to get permits to put a shelf in an existing garage, or is this the finished interior of a new building?
    No permit for the shelf, its not a structural part of the building. The motorcycle parking is in the original section which I'm now reorganising.
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB

RK Ryder
    Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    No that wasn't snarky. Just a good followup from a well organized garage, to one well, not quite as well organized. Just a good natured,joke, between Forum buddies.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

Quote Originally Posted by LucyBingo View Post
    Lucy:

Development in Calgary is tightly controlled. In most communities, you can't develop more than 45% of your lot area. If you want to exceed that, you have to apply for a development permit. For any shed or garage that's over 10 square metres, you have to apply for a building permit.
    Rinty

my mom used to tell my friends,,

"Its not nice to make fun of kids who aren't that smart."

i was 'special'. took the short school bus to class.

"Enemy fighters at 2 o'clock!...Roger, What should i do until then?"

2010 r1200r, 2009 harley crossbones, 2008 triumph/sidecar, 1970 norton commando 750