Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Advice, Second Battery for R1150RT

Side Mirrors

Glass is cracked on right side mirror. Can I get a replacement or do I have to buy the whole gizmo?

Peter

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 164809 View Post
    Glass is cracked on right side mirror. Can I get a replacement or do I have to buy the whole gizmo?

Peter
    It is possible to replace just the glass on an RT. There are pop in tabs on the plastic backing of the mirror.

For the GS however it is not really possible because you will destroy the plastic bezel around the old glass getting it out.
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

Quote Originally Posted by jsoque View Post
    I've often wondered if I need a second battery in my '04 R1150RT for operation of my gadgets, and Gerbings heated clothing.
    I can't see why you would need to unless you are powering all your gadgets with the engine off...or you are in "silent watch mode" off on the battle field.

You have a 700 watt alternator that can keep up with your power draws.

Auxiliary Battery

The auxiliary battery on my R1150RT was dead and drained the main battery.
    i'm taking it out and using the compartment for storage but can't get the battery strap unhooked. Looks like a bolt
    holding the strap but hard to see. Can anyone help?
    Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post

That said, a second battery is not the answer to powering gizmos if you mean while you are riding. Not for very long at least. If the current draw from all of the devices plus the bike exceeds alternator output two batteries will just give you two discharged batteries instead of one.

Now, the alternator really likes to see 2,000 or above rpm for peak output, so if you do a lot of putting around with starts and stops at low rpm the second battery would be a bigger reserve, but for most riding it wouldn't gain much of anything except add weight.

+1 on the above. Also, for low RPM starting of the alternator, you should check that you have a 3W bulb in the Batt indicator lamp. Mine was only 1.7W and I accidentally discovered that BMW seemed to have changes the spec somewhere along the line.

The best function of a second battery is that when installed in the left-side-of-tank storage compartment, its 14 lbs. weight better balances the motorcycle, eliminating a slight pull-to-the-right that most R1150RTs exhibit. I didn't realize mine did until someone pointed it out. That PTTR can be well mitigated by 12 lbs. of lead shot in the compartment which fits in the bottom inch of that box. You'd be surprised at the difference.