Thread: R1100rs Rear shock

Hybrid View

R1100rs Rear shock

Does anyone else know what other rear shocks are compatible with the R1100RS? I found a R1100gs rear shock, but do not want to spend the money to see if it will work and it not. The mounts look the same from the picture. Any suggestions? Or is the R1100rs rear shock the only one that will fit.

Thanks,
    Scott

Nickname: Droid
    Not certain, but the shock for a GS, even with the same mounting, may be longer due to the greater suspension travel on the GS versus the RS.

The shock from a R1100RT will fit, but then you have to rig a mount for the remote adjuster. I mounted an RT shock on my RS for a while before I ponied up the money for a Wilbers shock. Never sorry I did that. Had I not found a used Wilbers for the front, cheap, I would have bought Hagon shocks.

Even a basic Hagon shock, set up for your weight, loading and riding style is far better than any stock shock.

Well, I dont have a lot of money to invest and I've found a couple of used RT shocks on ebay. Think I'm going to go that route. I dont mind modifying. Unless there is someone out there that can rebuild the shock?

RT Shock on RS

This set-up works GREAT for the budget minded. I was lucky enough to get a set of "take offs" with VERY few miles on them.

Mounting the adjuster on the left footpeg (the 1150s mount this way, I think) is very easy, and having on-the-fly adjustment is pretty swell. I'm about 150#, and (for me) the RT shocks are pretty "firm" even at the lowest setting, but I like a firm ride anyway, and they're perfect when you put a load or a passenger aboard.

The only cautionary note I'd sound would be to make sure of your used shock source. Hard to tell what you're getting with used shocks!

Walking Eagle

Quote Originally Posted by skotlyc View Post
    Does anyone else know what other rear shocks are compatible with the R1100RS? I found a R1100gs rear shock, but do not want to spend the money to see if it will work and it not. The mounts look the same from the picture. Any suggestions? Or is the R1100rs rear shock the only one that will fit.

Thanks,
    Scott
    for a fraction the cost of replacement you can get it rebuilt. i know, most folks don't know that and they junk their worn out showa bmw shocks. not many places do them. lindemann eng in calif did mine on my 99 S. look them up on the web and give them a call.

mmmmmm the whole cap thing on this new tablet....not as easy as my computer..lol