Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: NHTSA Suzuki Recall over Brake Problems

  1. #1
    Registered User ExGMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Chestnut Hill, MA
    Posts
    292

    NHTSA Suzuki Recall over Brake Problems

    From the NYTimes 10/27/2013 -

    The Suzuki recall covers 2004-13 GSX-R600 and GSX-R750 models, as well as 2005-13 GSX-R1000s, according to a report from Suzuki. The motorcycle manufacturer says corrosion of the front brake piston may generate gas within the brake system, reducing stopping power. There was no mention of any accidents related to the problem.
    John Gamel
    2008 Kalahari Beige R1200RT
    LEOSA Certified

  2. #2
    2011 R1200RT ka5ysy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Prairieville, Louisiana
    Posts
    777
    They join the Motor Company:

    A total of 25,185 motorcycles are being voluntarily recalled for a faulty hydraulic clutch system. According to the press release, Harley-Davidson dealers have been issued a "do not ride" and "do not deliver" notice until the safety issue is remedied. The recall reportedly affects specific models of the 2014 bikes. According to the press release, FLHTCU, FLHTK, FLHTP, FLHX, FLHXS, FLHTKSE and FLHRSE models are currently the only bikes included in the recall. Harley-Davidson has also issued a recall for 3,861 Softail, CVOs and Trikes (models FLHTCUTG, FXSBSE and FLSTNSE) built between May 3 and Oct. 14 of this year.

    According to a report from Reuters, the faulty clutch does not disengage properly and can cause a potential accident due to its inability to allow riders to slow or stop their motorcycles.

    Our local dealership has no 2014 bikes on the floor now. All waiting recall fixes.
    Doug, 2011 R1200RT Polar Metallic
    MSF #127350 NAUI #36288

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,020
    HD's missing that 100 year old cable system already. That's what happens when they get involved with "Advanced High Tech" applications like hydraulics...LOL
    '14 R1200RT

  4. #4
    Registered User lkchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    4,600
    Or water cooling!
    Kent Christensen
    21482
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

  5. #5
    Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Posts
    3,204
    Quote Originally Posted by ka5ysy View Post
    They join the Motor Company:

    A total of 25,185 motorcycles are being voluntarily recalled for a faulty hydraulic clutch system. According to the press release, Harley-Davidson dealers have been issued a "do not ride" and "do not deliver" notice until the safety issue is remedied. The recall reportedly affects specific models of the 2014 bikes. According to the press release, FLHTCU, FLHTK, FLHTP, FLHX, FLHXS, FLHTKSE and FLHRSE models are currently the only bikes included in the recall. Harley-Davidson has also issued a recall for 3,861 Softail, CVOs and Trikes (models FLHTCUTG, FXSBSE and FLSTNSE) built between May 3 and Oct. 14 of this year.

    According to a report from Reuters, the faulty clutch does not disengage properly and can cause a potential accident due to its inability to allow riders to slow or stop their motorcycles.

    Our local dealership has no 2014 bikes on the floor now. All waiting recall fixes.
    A local Harley mechanic said he was thankful for the recall because even though warranty doesn't pay much, it's better than nothing. He said business was good in the spring but the bottom dropped out since August. One of my riding buddys that rides a Harley asked us to stop by his Harley dealership the other day on a ride so he could make an appointment for a new tire and service. When we got there, they took it right in and did the work immediately. They had nothing else to do.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

  6. #6
    Registered User lkchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    4,600
    Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    They had nothing else to do.
    In the year Harley goes water cooled, the aircooled Indian arrives.
    Kent Christensen
    21482
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,020
    Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    In the year Harley goes water cooled, the aircooled Indian arrives.
    I find it interesting that HD's move (finally) to water-cooling, on their iconic models, has been so underplayed. Sure they've had the water-cooled V-rod for years, but you really have to look for much marketing script on this long anticipated change to the Big Twins. It would appear they've put more marketing effort into their "Skull" line of clothing. Another example of old guard tradition trumping advancements in design and function (albeit a rather low grade up grade).
    '14 R1200RT

  8. #8
    Registered User lkchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    4,600
    I think they're afraid--the V-rod has been a sales failure, due allegedly in big part to traditional customers' resistance to water cooling.
    Kent Christensen
    21482
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

  9. #9
    2011 R1200RT ka5ysy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Prairieville, Louisiana
    Posts
    777
    Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    I think they're afraid--the V-rod has been a sales failure, due allegedly in big part to traditional customers' resistance to water cooling.
    This is the same problem that they had with Buell in HD dealerships : "It Ain't A Harley". Of course, the big problem is that most Harley salesmen have no idea how to sell a sport bike. Our local shop has had salesmen who have never ridden a bike, nor have an endorsement, but try and tell people about the motorcycles and what the customer needs in accessories. Hmmmm.....

    The V-Rod is probably the only Harley I would ever consider owning if they got some better seats and had some ground clearance like they tried on one model. Problem with that one was that the rear brake lever was not adjustable, and my foot rested hard on it and was very uncomfortable if I moved my foot rearward to get off the brake.
    Doug, 2011 R1200RT Polar Metallic
    MSF #127350 NAUI #36288

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •