Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Insurance oddity

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.

Insurance oddity

I decided to get a scooter to replace my R80RT due to my short inseam and age. The BMW scooter is too tall so I bought a Burgman 400 (used). I transferred the tags and insurance today. Progressive told me that the liability insurance is going to be an additional $12 until renewal next August. They go from insuring a 800cc motorcycle to a 400cc scooter and increase the premium? The increases in the past have always been explained as being because of a larger engine and/or a higher risk type of bike. To me, this makes no sense.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Insurance Oddity

Thats because guys on "scooters" are bad-ass. High risk life style be my guess.

Is the scooter worth more? Maybe their insuring a more expensive piece of property?
    Dan

Maybe you need a new insurance company.
    '03 R1150R, '03 F650GS, '97DR200SE,'78 Honda CT-90, '77Honda CT-90

I'd ask the agent to break down the components of both premiums so I could compare them.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Quote Originally Posted by dancogan View Post
    Is the scooter worth more? Maybe their insuring a more expensive piece of property?
    This is for liability only that only covers the damage you do to others. How a scooter with 1/2 the engine and less weight s a higher risk is beyond me.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I'd ask the agent to break down the components of both premiums so I could compare them.
    There's nothing to break down. 100/300k bodily injury and 50k property damage along with uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage.

Mendocino, CA USA about as far left as you can get in the lower 48
    They are taking into account that, statistically, scooter operators and their scooter cause more damage claims that operators of an R80ST. Relatively speaking, the average Bergman operator is less likely to be a responsible operator, or that is what their pricing is saying......A 100cc increase between my '09 K1300S and my '00 K1200RS certainly doesn't account for a 400% increase in liability.....must be the different operators I become on each...
    Jim Douglas '00 K1200RS >135,000 miles my primary bike again,
    Gone: '09 K1300S sold @ 22k mi, '93 K1100RS traded @ 78k mi, '85 K100RS sold @ 44k mi
    '06 Kaw 650R track bike sold
    http://www.seagullbb.com/

Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    There's nothing to break down. 100/300k bodily injury and 50k property damage along with uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage.
    You don't happen to have Geico Insurance, do you?
    Lynn
    MOA #57883
    Current Ride: 1995 K75 Standard
    Past: 1978 Yamaha XS 750, 1976 BMW R60/6

Quote Originally Posted by ARGENT BRICK View Post
    You don't happen to have Geico Insurance, do you?
    Read the OP's first post.
    '03 R1150R, '03 F650GS, '97DR200SE,'78 Honda CT-90, '77Honda CT-90

That sounds logical to me. Insurance rate is partly based on crash statistics. My guess is smaller cc scooters crash more. And, how many scooter riders do you see in safety classes ? The riders typically see them as toys.

Did I read this correctly? A $12 dollar per year increase?
    Marty Hill
    12 GS black/Boxer Cup Replika

ride till you can't

Quote Originally Posted by martyhill View Post
    Did I read this correctly? A $12 dollar per year increase?
    No. It's $12 until renewal in August. It will be a little more annually. It was not the amount as much as the convoluted logic she used in trying to explain the increase. It was obvious she had no clue and was simply quoting the price the computer said. When someone tells me that the liability exposure is higher because the bike is newer is clearly confused.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyGrownup View Post
    That sounds logical to me. Insurance rate is partly based on crash statistics. My guess is smaller cc scooters crash more. And, how many scooter riders do you see in safety classes ? The riders typically see them as toys.
    But mine is not a little scooter. It weighs well over 400 pounds, will cruise at interstate speeds all day and will run over 100 MPH. The Maxi-scooters are more motorcycle than scooter. My airhead will fit in the back of my truck with the tailgate closed and the Burgman is longer and will not.

Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    No. It's $12 until renewal in August. It will be a little more annually. It was not the amount as much as the convoluted logic she used in trying to explain the increase. It was obvious she had no clue and was simply quoting the price the computer said. When someone tells me that the liability exposure is higher because the bike is newer is clearly confused.
    Forget about the insurance. It's a change fee for altering your contract outside of the annual renewal cycle.

Now does it make sense?
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744