Thread: Remus or Chip

Airhead Smitten

Remus or Chip

Love My 04 K1200GT (brick) lots. This winter I am going to install my new Wilburs and am trying to decide Chip or Remus exhaust. Good price on used Full Remus exhaust system or Chip. Chip is less money, Remus is less weight. Remus looks cool but I think may be too loud. Performance seems to be about the same, not sure about MPG. Any Thoughts

Thanks
    Airhead Smitten

Quote Originally Posted by peterkenzler View Post
    Love My 04 K1200GT (brick) lots. This winter I am going to install my new Wilburs and am trying to decide Chip or Remus exhaust. Good price on used Full Remus exhaust system or Chip. Chip is less money, Remus is less weight. Remus looks cool but I think may be too loud. Performance seems to be about the same, not sure about MPG. Any Thoughts

Thanks
    Airhead Smitten
    I was at my dealer the other day listening to another K1200 owner. He was asking the same questions as you. Our dealer recommended the Remus. He felt it was better made. There was another brand he was comparing it to, and I don't think it was Chip.
    Who else makes aftermarket muffs for K bikes?
    Lynn
    MOA #57883
    Current Ride: 1995 K75 Standard
    Past: 1978 Yamaha XS 750, 1976 BMW R60/6

Airhead Smitten
    I meant a Rhinewest performance as apposed to a performance muffler.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by ARGENT BRICK View Post
    I was at my dealer the other day listening to another K1200 owner. He was asking the same questions as you. Our dealer recommended the Remus. He felt it was better made. There was another brand he was comparing it to, and I don't think it was Chip.
    Who else makes aftermarket muffs for K bikes?
    Lynn- "chip" is a thing, not a manufacturer. short for fuel chip, which controls the FI computer mapping.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

I ran a Remus on my K1100RS years ago. nice sound (no more sewing machine), maybe gave a slight boost in performance. no clue as to what it did to my mpg, as i put in on the bike very early in its life with me. A chip will "fat up" (add more fuel) your fueling, and will likely drop your mpg. The K12 should not need a chip, even if you install the Remus (which will lean it out a bit from stock).

If i really felt the need to spend some farkle $ on the bike, i'd likely go with the Remus. In all reality, i wouldn't bother with either of them, and maybe get a good radar detector instead. With the suspension upgrade you're doing (good call!), and what that motor will already do, it should pay for itself in no short order.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

So ever the voice of reason...

I somehow doubt that we're smarter than dozens of German engineers in these matters.

Every review I've read of the aftermarket exhausts shows either degraded performance or tiny improvements at only certain parts of the power curve. I don't need noise on my bike, either, I perfer stealth and speed.

And if a simple chip swap would improve mileage and performance, I think they would have done this - the motorcycle market is very competitive and being able to claim a few more horsepower is quite important.

This reminds me the the guys who would take their new pickups to the tire store to have lift kits and oversized wheels and tires installed 'to improve the handling'.

Yeah -

Well, sometimes "we" are smarter than those German engineers, only because we might not be quite as concerned about meeting certain requirements that they must meet.
    A different fuel chip WILL help performance (assuming it is mapped to do that correctly), period. Stock, our bikes are set very lean to meet emissions regulations. adding a touch more fuel typically smooths out their response, and often eliminates flat spots in the power curve. what the factory does is not always about "best performance".

however, for a K12RS, i probably would not bother spending my $ on that particular upgrade.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Airhead Smitten

Hmmmm

Is my bike way fast enough, yes. Do I want it loud, no. Do I want it to corner some better over not so smooth roads, yes. Looks like I'm on the right track. Guess I just wanted to buy her a Christmas present for the great summer she gave me. The lovely blue Wilburs will have to do.

Quote Originally Posted by peterkenzler View Post
    Is my bike way fast enough, yes. Do I want it loud, no. Do I want it to corner some better over not so smooth roads, yes. Looks like I'm on the right track. Guess I just wanted to buy her a Christmas present for the great summer she gave me. The lovely blue Wilburs will have to do.
    smart man!
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

I have kept the stock exhaust and added a Rhinewest Chip.

My MPG went up from usually 35-38 to maybe 40 on the road to 37-39 with 42.
    Bike vibs changed a little for the better,
    Surging at slight throttle at low speeds improved.
    Idle is smoother
    Never did a dyno or 1/4 mile times so can't say actually performance increase
    Laptimes at VIR decreased some but is that the chip or skills getting better?
    Easy install
    overall, not a bad way to spend 400 dollars on a BMW.

I have a loud bike and a quiet one. I am fine with the K RS being the quiet one.

Hope this helps a little.

NCS
    03 K 1200RS (Black is Best)
    03 Honda RC51
    74 Honda CB750 K4

Quote Originally Posted by bikerfish1100 View Post
    Lynn- "chip" is a thing, not a manufacturer. short for fuel chip, which controls the FI computer mapping.
    that explains much. You guys can tell I don't know sh** about K1200's. Think I will go for a ride
    Lynn
    MOA #57883
    Current Ride: 1995 K75 Standard
    Past: 1978 Yamaha XS 750, 1976 BMW R60/6

Airhead Smitten

Hmm a mile or 2 MPH

Stephan makes me think even more.. sometimes I feel as if I'm more like my wife then makes me comfortable.

I do get a bit of surging, the Idle floats, but the toque from 2 to 6 K is plenty. I do love to rap her out but I rally have to stay in the game or I hit the Rev limiter. I have four bikes and always looking for more but my K1200GT sure does make me happy.

PK