Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 1st BMW, impressions and questions

Ohio RT
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Wanderer View Post
    I have a Schuberth C3 and it fits into the stock BMW Top Case no problem. You need to lay it on it's side, bottom toward the rear and make sure the highest part is such that it fits in the bulge on the top of the case.

It is snug but it does fit. I put a microfiber rag top and bottom to avoid scratching my ridiculously expensive helmet! Well, at least for now because it's new.
    Well you are correct, it fits, just barely. With a microfiber towel on top and bottom the case will close. I have the XL size which is the same shell as a XXL and it works.

The Givi E460 looks like a very good option though since it would hold both of our helmets. She rides with a Nolan which also has no d-rings rendering the underseat locks worthless.

Of course there's always a new K1600GTL as an option... If I can only convince her that the heated backrest is worth the $24K... I'm working on it...

Thanks for all of the assistance!

Try looking for a retractable cable lock.

Here's one, there are lots of others ...
    http://www.aerostich.com/retractable-cable-lock.html

I keep one with my RT and just lay my helmet on either the luggage rack or the top of the sidecase and then run the cable through the visor opening. Takes a few seconds to secure and few to release.
    Michael Stock, Trinity, NC
    R1100RT, R100, R60/6

I've used these for years. Never had a problem.
    '03 R1150R, '03 F650GS, '97DR200SE,'78 Honda CT-90, '77Honda CT-90

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 175093 View Post
    Well you are correct, it fits, just barely. With a microfiber towel on top and bottom the case will close. I have the XL size which is the same shell as a XXL and it works.

The Givi E460 looks like a very good option though since it would hold both of our helmets. She rides with a Nolan which also has no d-rings rendering the underseat locks worthless.

Of course there's always a new K1600GTL as an option... If I can only convince her that the heated backrest is worth the $24K... I'm working on it...

Thanks for all of the assistance!
    Yeah mine is a XXL and the biggest hat size they export to NA. I notice on German sites there are a couple sizes even bigger! And the thing still pinches my ears. I took a spoon to the foam but I have to push it in a bit more. I was pleasantly surprised I could squeeze it into my top case though. Quick and easy for running in and out of stores or what not.

A buddy of mine put a key chain ring on his chin clamp strap and hooks that onto his GS helmet lock. He figures if they want it that bad they will cut whatever is securing it anyway. I like the out of sight approach myself.
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT