Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The new BMW F 800 GT | Press Kit

Thumbs up

This might be the possible bike to make me think hard about putting more money into my 92 R100RS ( 110,000 smiles ) or getting a new ride next spring ! Price will be a factor ... also I find the R1200RT just too much bike really, although I have not ridden it, maybe I should test ride a used one !
    Steve
    steve now in CT
    moved from Toronto
    92 R100RS

Not sure how accurate, but I've read that the base price will be $ 13,190.00

Personally, I'm looking forward to real world ride reports/reviews and taking a nice long demo ride on the F800GT sometime in 2013 when its available.

If anyone can confirm that would be Great.

I was at my dealership yesterday and viewed the spec sheet. IIRC the $13,190 is with the safety and comfort package.

Buck Lemme
    Vienna, Illinois

Side bags - compatability?

Does anyone know if those hard cases will fit the F800ST?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Yes, I managed to miss that they had two comfort seats. Interesting they have so many seat options.
    Maybe they have been listening.......................?
    IBA #44567
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    -Albert Eienstein

When they have the RT version with cruise control, I'm in.

jeepinbanditrider
    Quote Originally Posted by jcarpino View Post
    Does anyone know if those hard cases will fit the F800ST?
    I was wondering the same thing It doesn't look like they changed the subframe. When my local dealer gets one I plan to swing by and see if they will fit or if they changed the mounts and if so what I'm going to have to do to fit them. The hybrid/cloth bags on my ST aren't bad bags but when expanded they aren't weather resistant. I've helped mine a little by giving it a scotchguard hose down but they'll still seep a bit of water after a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Downs View Post
    ... The hybrid/cloth bags on my ST aren't bad bags but when expanded they aren't weather resistant. I've helped mine a little by giving it a scotchguard hose down but they'll still seep a bit of water after a while.
    Oops. Don't like to hear that. Thought the liners inside the sport bags on the ST were water proof. Not true? I haven't tried mine out in the rain yet
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

Quote Originally Posted by Royce View Post
    Oops. Don't like to hear that. Thought the liners inside the sport bags on the ST were water proof. Not true? I haven't tried mine out in the rain yet
    Yes the liners are waterproof. We've ridden in several all day rains and no water got into the liners of either bike. Water will get into the bags, but not the liners.
    We have K1300Ss which have the same bag and liner setup.
    Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

jeepinbanditrider
    I don't have the liners.

Webb Benninghoven
    We delivered our first one on Saturday and I didn't have a chance to ride it. We just got our demo built, and I drove it home tonight. It is a really neat bike. It feels very small compared to the RT I ride every day. It seems to like being revved a little higher in the range than the RT does, but it's really comfortable. I've got about 40 minutes into it so far & I am really looking forward to the ride in tomorrow. This bike so far just is a pleasure, the sweet spot for it seems really big in all the right ways. Just my first impression.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWEB View Post
    We delivered our first one on Saturday and I didn't have a chance to ride it. We just got our demo built, and I drove it home tonight. It is a really neat bike. It feels very small compared to the RT I ride every day. It seems to like being revved a little higher in the range than the RT does, but it's really comfortable. I've got about 40 minutes into it so far & I am really looking forward to the ride in tomorrow. This bike so far just is a pleasure, the sweet spot for it seems really big in all the right ways. Just my first impression.
    Sounds like you did not have an F800ST first. So you can't comment on direct comparisons, right?
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

Retired User
    Just got back from a demo ride on the new GT. What an awesome bike! That being said, anyone hoping that it will be the RT of the F800's is going to be disappointed. I have been looking to downsize to a smaller and lighter bike but still have some of the protection from the elements that the RT provides so spectacularly. The GT just isn't it. The bars may be a little higher and the pegs a little lower than the ST, but I wouldn't be able to do a 500 mile day (or even 300) on it. The wind blast is constant. I'm thoroughly spoiled. I guess the only way I will be able to give up my RT would be to give up touring.

By the way, DOWNS, the salesman said you could fit either the ST hardbags or the new ones designed for the GT. I assume that means you could fit the new bags on the ST.
    Bill Mayer
    MOA #98888
    R1200RT

jeepinbanditrider
    Over on the F800 forum the auzzie and euro dealers are telling those guys you can't fix the GT bags to the ST due to exhaust position on the GT. Which didn't make any sense to me as the GT exhaust is much higher than the ST so it would seem the ST's exhaust would be a non issue on mounting bags. The subframes look very similar if not the same. even the lower mounts for the bags look the same.

When my dealer gets one I'm just going to go over there and see if the bags will switch out.

Mendocino, CA USA about as far left as you can get in the lower 48
    I was at A&S yesterday (1/30) and they had just unboxed three new bikes in the parking lot. One was the white F800GT. It looked pretty sharp considering it was not yet set up, no windscreen or seat, etc, still strapped to the pallet. Certainly looked the part of what so many seem to be asking for in a smaller/lighter touring package. Randy (Owner) commented that the aftermarket guys were chomping at the bit to produce extras like peg lowering kits, etc. So, I am sure that these mods will be available soon for those desiring them.
    Jim Douglas '00 K1200RS >135,000 miles my primary bike again,
    Gone: '09 K1300S sold @ 22k mi, '93 K1100RS traded @ 78k mi, '85 K100RS sold @ 44k mi
    '06 Kaw 650R track bike sold
    http://www.seagullbb.com/