Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: When is enough. . . .enough ?

When is enough. . . .enough ?

Who knows, as I for one don't know. When I stepped back into motorcycling in the mid 90's after being away from it since the late sixty's my wife of 25 years thought I really lost it this time. We have been together now for coming up on 42 years and she will now say it was the best thing I did.

My first motorcycle was a big BSA B25 Starfire. This machine I was lucky enough to go back to my home province and find an original 1 of 4 that Bernie Nicholson sold in 1968, that sits in my memobila room not far from my office at the house. Fast in it's day and was very suitable for riding around the Echo Lakes road outside of Ft. Qu'Applle, SK. My best buddy at the time road a Ducati Monza 250 that spent more time being fished out of the fish hatchery as he often missed the corner. Over the years the list has gotten long with everything from Goldwings, Norton Commandos, T-140 Triumphs, Hinkley Thunderbirds, Thunderbird Sport to the 1200cc Triumph Trophy. The best was my rat 1974 Norton Commando. At 3800 RPM's this puppy was smooth a silk and still had power to spare.

Guess your wondering why I switched to the Boxers. Got off a 1976 T-140 750 Bonnie one day and took a friends R100RT for a spin and it was love in fifth gear.

I am restoring a 1976 BMW R75/6 and have decided that after this, all I really want to do is do some riding. I am finished wrenching.

What caused me to buy the 2009 BMW R1200RT was I really went into the local Triumph/BMW dealer here in Calgary to inquire about getting a new Triumph Trophy. After hearing all the positive things about the new beast, I asked a silly question. What Is Triumph targeting in the market place with two wheels. Answer was a very clear R1200RT. Went and looked at a used model (high mileage) that was sitting on the floor on a consignment. Black in colour (not my favourite colour), but really like the lines. Came home, sat on the Apple Mac and spent about 4 hours doing some research. My mind was made up. I should be retiring and was not about to take out a second mortgage of over
    $ 24,000. for a new Trophy. I might be insane but not daft....

Why a BMW, well why not, as this machine has everything that I could possibly want. Only thing missing that the Triumph comes standard is an AM/FM Blue Tooth XM Satellite radio. Can't hear it anyways anyways as I would rather listen to what I can on the exhaust notes.

So is answer to your question, When is enough, enough!

"When I can no longer swing my leg over the saddle and still get a chill down my spine feeling and smelling the air I am travelling through".
    Last edited by b25bsaboy; 11-13-2012 at 03:57 PM.
    Rick MacPherson
    Success is Not a Destination, But a Journey.
    Accredited Motorcycle Appraiser
    1968 BSA Starfire, 1976 BMW R75/6, 2009 R1200RT

Podzo

enough already

Speculate, when will it end? The new GS's are listed at 125 hp. 2 1/2 times more then my old R100GS. I say, 100 hp is all we need for a GS. Certainly, other models and desires will increase hp but 200 or more? Give me back my college days and 1968 Ducati 350 Scrambler. I am getting too old to appreciate all the power and electronics the newer and better bikes have. Now, I love my DR650.

Since this thread isn't hexhead specific, it's being moved. I debated between Motorrad and Campfire. Campfire won out since it's more heavily frequented, and is for "lighthearted" and casual discussions/threads.

Please hang on during the move..

Fluxcapacitor- charged

OFF we go!
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

Talking Just about right!

First bike in 69 was a Honda CL450 - a pretty big bike to start on and what I thought was a lot of power. Was a Honda mechanic in those days and got to ride the Gold Wing when it first came out - it felt like an electric motor when you rolled the throttle on!
    Along the way I had 12 motorcycles, including a Laverda 750 twin (think blown up Honda 305 with a better suspension/handling) and a Suzuki GS750. I rode the Suzuki solo from CT to Key West to CA in 26 days in 1976 and thought it was powerful enough.
    Did not ride for 30 years and now have a 2008 R1200GS - now I think that it finally has enough power for me. I love the way you can just keep rolling the throttle on and it just keeps going with no hesitation (also installed a booster plug). My only complaint is bikes today seem to keep getting heavier (albeit more stable due to better suspensions, tires, etc.) Looking back, the 750 4 cylinder would lag somewhat under heavy throttle and going up a grade it did as well....not the BMW! Happy to be riding again!!

Have you seen the new CB 1100 ?
    http://powersports.honda.com/2013/cb1100.aspx

I used to think the 90 HP my R1100RS had was lots......... then I got my K1200GT with 152 HP
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2009 F800GS
    I can't wait to retire and have a fixed income. The one I have now is always broke.

Caribbean Druid
    Quote Originally Posted by espressoforyou View Post
    I enjoy my GS but would love to have 20% more horsepower like the new wethead. I rode my GS Saturday for 7 hours on-road and off-road, the weather was perfect, 75 degrees and sunny.

On Sunday I rode my other bike, a 1970 Honda qa 50, sprout green in color, just like the original one my parents bought me in 1970. I rode the qa 50 for one hour, mainly off-road. The terrain was so rough that I had to stand on the pegs most of the time. The qa 50 ran great.

Horsepower is important, but I enjoyed riding the 1+ horsepower Honda qa 50 just as much as my 100 horsepower GS.

The Honda qa 50 brought back memories of going off-road exploring on a beautiful fall day just like when I was a kid.
    Your want more horespower? Answer: Ducati Multistrada.

Quote Originally Posted by patiodadio View Post
    Have you seen the new CB 1100 ?
    http://powersports.honda.com/2013/cb1100.aspx
    Huh?
    I had a CB750 that looked almost like that.
    If I wanted that retro look, I'd just buy a used '82 750 again.
    2000 R1100RT-P

Market

Motorcycle, Cars, Trucks, all must to have enough speed and horse power for bragging rites.

Do you need lots of 150 horse power to ride on most roads: sure the hell not. The market makes companies have way too much power for normal use.
    Bikes I ride are more then fast enough to get you out of trouble, and would by today's standard UNDER POWERED.

Many new riders go for the over powered motorcycles, heavy motorcycles , long before they should. A new rider needs to work up to a high power rocket, but they go for a 150 HP because that is 'cool'. I know a guy who purchase a Goldwing, he can not sit flat footed on the bike, and after 4 months has about 100 miles. Typical for many, buy the one that looks cool, ego takes over.

Harley seems to be one of the few that can make bikes that don't have 150 mph capabilities. H-D does have the V rod, to bring in newer (younger) buyers.
    Tom
    '84 R100RT '04 CLC(gone) Honda NT700V
    BMW
    Beer Motorcycles Women

Quote Originally Posted by podsobinski View Post
    I started my GS career back in '94 with a new R100GS. Not sure of the hp but something like 60 or so. Ran plenty fast for me but maybe carrying my wife and all the gear, I was pushing it doing 75 on interstates. . .big deal, I really didn't think so. Wow, I upgraded in late winter of 2001 to a new oil head blue and white 2002 R1150GS with 85 hp and 6 speed. Great bike plenty of power even riding double, just downshift once and you could pass anything with four or more wheels, 50 mpg at highways speeds. I put 92,000 miles on it in 7 years and regret selling it. But I always wanted the adventure so 2008 GSA1200 with 105 hp. Now hardly downshifting was required again even with the wife and gear. Do you really need more hp or is BMW just showing off technology and making changes for change sake. . .? It will never end and costs just keep going up and parts availability gets harder.
    My "GS" career started back in the late 70s with an R90/6. The Windjammer fairing worked wonders pushing tree branches out of the way in the woods.

Prior to that, my rides were a Bultaco Matador Six-Day, and various Husqvarnas, CZ, Maico, etc. My first real dirt bike was a Kawasaki Trail Boss, with a 2-stroke 10-speed (high/low) transmission.

Getting on that R90/6 for the first time was a real eye opener.... it was HUGE!

As others have noted above, the GS is going the way it is (bigger/heavier and more powerful) because the market demands it. Almost no one rides them off-road, and fwiw, they make the perfect highway bike for people who like to ride and camp in out-of-the-way places.

So for that application, more power is good. My 1150GS loafs along at 80, turning 4.2k RPM.

You don't mention off-pavement/off-road riding in your post, so I assume that you are the typical GS rider of today? (not trying to be insulting...)

Ian

Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    .... As others have noted above, the GS is going the way it is (bigger/heavier and more powerful) because the market demands it. Almost no one rides them off-road, and fwiw, they make the perfect highway bike for people who like to ride and camp in out-of-the-way places.

So for that application, more power is good. My 1150GS loafs along at 80, turning 4.2k RPM.

You don't mention off-pavement/off-road riding in your post, so I assume that you are the typical GS rider of today? (not trying to be insulting...)

Ian

I have my previously mentioned GT for those long highway trips and love having that power on tap. I do use my GS off highway and even on some rather sketchy roads, that's it's main purpose and the reason mine is an F800GS with less power, but more importantly, less mass. It lets me camp in some really really out-of-the way places.
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2009 F800GS
    I can't wait to retire and have a fixed income. The one I have now is always broke.

Quote Originally Posted by Bmandiego View Post
    Huh?
    I had a CB750 that looked almost like that.
    If I wanted that retro look, I'd just buy a used '82 750 again.
    Yeah, but your 82 didn't have fuel injection. And the newer brakes are probably better, etc. And a decent 82 might be hard to find. But you definitely have a point...$10k is not exactly pocket change (not for me, anyway).

But I do like that bike...
    1983 R100RS (Sold)
    2004 R1150RT
    BMW MOA 181289
    ABC 13558

Quote Originally Posted by MCMXCIVRS View Post
    I have my previously mentioned GT for those long highway trips and love having that power on tap.
    I also used to have an RS in the stable, but stopped buying those kinds of bikes because I have no right wrist discipline.

...I have no right wrist discipline....Vision
    That's why I'm sticking to about 110 hp.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Quote Originally Posted by rinty View Post
    That's why I'm sticking to about 110 hp.
    Even with that power, my HP2e makes me do bad things.