Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: When is enough. . . .enough ?

Hybrid View

Podzo

When is enough. . . .enough ?

I started my GS career back in '94 with a new R100GS. Not sure of the hp but something like 60 or so. Ran plenty fast for me but maybe carrying my wife and all the gear, I was pushing it doing 75 on interstates. . .big deal, I really didn't think so. Wow, I upgraded in late winter of 2001 to a new oil head blue and white 2002 R1150GS with 85 hp and 6 speed. Great bike plenty of power even riding double, just downshift once and you could pass anything with four or more wheels, 50 mpg at highways speeds. I put 92,000 miles on it in 7 years and regret selling it. But I always wanted the adventure so 2008 GSA1200 with 105 hp. Now hardly downshifting was required again even with the wife and gear. Do you really need more hp or is BMW just showing off technology and making changes for change sake. . .? It will never end and costs just keep going up and parts availability gets harder.

I started my biking career in 1966 on a 250 Ducati. At the time it was a mid-size bike. The big ones were 650cc, really-really big ones were 750cc. I doubt that any had over 60hp. Now 60hp is a starter bike. BWM is not alone in building bigger bikes, everyone is. They are just keeping up with their competition.

BMW is competing in a market - especially in the U.S. - where bigger and faster seem to count in the market place. It seems less so in other markets. When they only brought the R65 to the U.S. they had the R45 in Europe and Canada. When they sold lots of R1100 bikes and few R850 bikes in the U.S. the R850 sold in Eurpope. It's us, not them.

When I was 14 I took camping trips 20 miles out to the state park, two-up, with gear, on a 49cc Sears & Roebuck (Puch) moped. When Voni and I first started taking motorcycle trips with two bikes and two kids it was on Yamaha RD250s.

Now, while I own and often ride an R1150R I am much happier on one of my K75s.

From a practical standpoint we reached "enough" a long time ago. Airheads have enough horsepower. It is suspension, braking, and handling that are not up to current technology.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

We also tend to go further distances in the U.S. Motorcycles in the U.S. are still more of a recreational vehicle as opposed to primary transportation. That's not true in many other parts of the world.

I love everything about my airhead except the braking ability. (I've already fixed the suspension).

My oilhead is light years better in the "stopping" department. Honestly, the extra horsepower is much appreciated as well, especially when commuting. It's good to know you've got a little extra burst when you need it.

When is enough enough? That depends on the individual. BMW and other manufacturers will continue to improve their products. This will mean more power, better handling,etc. If it actually sells successfully is up to the individual consumer. To me personally, 90 HP is plenty good "enough".
    -----------------------------------------
    Brad D. - Member #105766
    '77 R100RS - Black Beauty (big pipe, baby!)
    '94 R1100RS - Sylvia

Smile

Power corrupts and horsepower corrupts absolutely!

When is enough enough?

When we stop buying!
    Martin. BMW MOA Ambassador.17748
    BMW MOA Charter, Life member.
    Valley BMW Riders. British Columbia.

Rock throwing distance from Home Despot HQ

Enough

Way too much power has, for most of my riding years, been just barely enough. Now the I'm pushing 60, I find that my R12RT is most assuredly fast enough.

Still a tasty new GS would be nice - and lighter for the aging knees. Assuming BMW finally gets a handle on the "issues" we discuss so often.

And I'd still like to find that special open stretch of road and drop the hammer on an FJR or whatever. Then again I did do exactly that a couple of years ago on a friend's (fiend's?) CBR1000RR. I swear I got off and kissed the ground at the end of that ride - and took aspirin for my knees.

Quote Originally Posted by 141987 View Post
    Power corrupts and horsepower corrupts absolutely!
    Started out on dirt bikes and then traveled back and forth to college on a friends Honda 400cc which got upgraded to a Honda CB 750F. More power was cool. Then a long hiatus from bikes with a restart on a Suzuki C90T Boulevard. Then I rode a friends Ducati Multistrada which blew my mind. Didn't think it would change the way I ride with all that power but it did. Then I test rode a GS. 2005. 100hp. Plenty of power to pass on the highway and do whatever else. If I want a true kick in the pants, I'll borrow my friends 1199 Panigale........
    Todd

2005 R1200GS

When is enough. . . .enough ?

Who knows, as I for one don't know. When I stepped back into motorcycling in the mid 90's after being away from it since the late sixty's my wife of 25 years thought I really lost it this time. We have been together now for coming up on 42 years and she will now say it was the best thing I did.

My first motorcycle was a big BSA B25 Starfire. This machine I was lucky enough to go back to my home province and find an original 1 of 4 that Bernie Nicholson sold in 1968, that sits in my memobila room not far from my office at the house. Fast in it's day and was very suitable for riding around the Echo Lakes road outside of Ft. Qu'Applle, SK. My best buddy at the time road a Ducati Monza 250 that spent more time being fished out of the fish hatchery as he often missed the corner. Over the years the list has gotten long with everything from Goldwings, Norton Commandos, T-140 Triumphs, Hinkley Thunderbirds, Thunderbird Sport to the 1200cc Triumph Trophy. The best was my rat 1974 Norton Commando. At 3800 RPM's this puppy was smooth a silk and still had power to spare.

Guess your wondering why I switched to the Boxers. Got off a 1976 T-140 750 Bonnie one day and took a friends R100RT for a spin and it was love in fifth gear.

I am restoring a 1976 BMW R75/6 and have decided that after this, all I really want to do is do some riding. I am finished wrenching.

What caused me to buy the 2009 BMW R1200RT was I really went into the local Triumph/BMW dealer here in Calgary to inquire about getting a new Triumph Trophy. After hearing all the positive things about the new beast, I asked a silly question. What Is Triumph targeting in the market place with two wheels. Answer was a very clear R1200RT. Went and looked at a used model (high mileage) that was sitting on the floor on a consignment. Black in colour (not my favourite colour), but really like the lines. Came home, sat on the Apple Mac and spent about 4 hours doing some research. My mind was made up. I should be retiring and was not about to take out a second mortgage of over
    $ 24,000. for a new Trophy. I might be insane but not daft....

Why a BMW, well why not, as this machine has everything that I could possibly want. Only thing missing that the Triumph comes standard is an AM/FM Blue Tooth XM Satellite radio. Can't hear it anyways anyways as I would rather listen to what I can on the exhaust notes.

So is answer to your question, When is enough, enough!

"When I can no longer swing my leg over the saddle and still get a chill down my spine feeling and smelling the air I am travelling through".
    Last edited by b25bsaboy; 11-13-2012 at 03:57 PM.
    Rick MacPherson
    Success is Not a Destination, But a Journey.
    Accredited Motorcycle Appraiser
    1968 BSA Starfire, 1976 BMW R75/6, 2009 R1200RT

Podzo

enough already

Speculate, when will it end? The new GS's are listed at 125 hp. 2 1/2 times more then my old R100GS. I say, 100 hp is all we need for a GS. Certainly, other models and desires will increase hp but 200 or more? Give me back my college days and 1968 Ducati 350 Scrambler. I am getting too old to appreciate all the power and electronics the newer and better bikes have. Now, I love my DR650.

Since this thread isn't hexhead specific, it's being moved. I debated between Motorrad and Campfire. Campfire won out since it's more heavily frequented, and is for "lighthearted" and casual discussions/threads.

Please hang on during the move..

Fluxcapacitor- charged

OFF we go!
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

Quote Originally Posted by podsobinski View Post
    Speculate, when will it end? The new GS's are listed at 125 hp. 2 1/2 times more then my old R100GS. I say, 100 hp is all we need for a GS.
    I plan on doing a test ride of a F800GT next spring. I'm sure it has enough hp and I like the idea of having a bike that gets better fuel economy than my car (a Prius).

On the other hand, my '03 RT is a good road trip bike. My old RT has 95 hp (plenty) and the new GT has 90 hp, also plenty.

Harry
    2003 R1150RT - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by podsobinski View Post
    I started my GS career back in '94 with a new R100GS. Not sure of the hp but something like 60 or so. Ran plenty fast for me but maybe carrying my wife and all the gear, I was pushing it doing 75 on interstates. . .big deal, I really didn't think so. Wow, I upgraded in late winter of 2001 to a new oil head blue and white 2002 R1150GS with 85 hp and 6 speed. Great bike plenty of power even riding double, just downshift once and you could pass anything with four or more wheels, 50 mpg at highways speeds. I put 92,000 miles on it in 7 years and regret selling it. But I always wanted the adventure so 2008 GSA1200 with 105 hp. Now hardly downshifting was required again even with the wife and gear. Do you really need more hp or is BMW just showing off technology and making changes for change sake. . .? It will never end and costs just keep going up and parts availability gets harder.
    My "GS" career started back in the late 70s with an R90/6. The Windjammer fairing worked wonders pushing tree branches out of the way in the woods.

Prior to that, my rides were a Bultaco Matador Six-Day, and various Husqvarnas, CZ, Maico, etc. My first real dirt bike was a Kawasaki Trail Boss, with a 2-stroke 10-speed (high/low) transmission.

Getting on that R90/6 for the first time was a real eye opener.... it was HUGE!

As others have noted above, the GS is going the way it is (bigger/heavier and more powerful) because the market demands it. Almost no one rides them off-road, and fwiw, they make the perfect highway bike for people who like to ride and camp in out-of-the-way places.

So for that application, more power is good. My 1150GS loafs along at 80, turning 4.2k RPM.

You don't mention off-pavement/off-road riding in your post, so I assume that you are the typical GS rider of today? (not trying to be insulting...)

Ian

Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    .... As others have noted above, the GS is going the way it is (bigger/heavier and more powerful) because the market demands it. Almost no one rides them off-road, and fwiw, they make the perfect highway bike for people who like to ride and camp in out-of-the-way places.

So for that application, more power is good. My 1150GS loafs along at 80, turning 4.2k RPM.

You don't mention off-pavement/off-road riding in your post, so I assume that you are the typical GS rider of today? (not trying to be insulting...)

Ian

I have my previously mentioned GT for those long highway trips and love having that power on tap. I do use my GS off highway and even on some rather sketchy roads, that's it's main purpose and the reason mine is an F800GS with less power, but more importantly, less mass. It lets me camp in some really really out-of-the way places.
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2009 F800GS
    I can't wait to retire and have a fixed income. The one I have now is always broke.

Quote Originally Posted by MCMXCIVRS View Post
    I have my previously mentioned GT for those long highway trips and love having that power on tap.
    I also used to have an RS in the stable, but stopped buying those kinds of bikes because I have no right wrist discipline.