Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Overheating/electronics on a r69s & oil breather

Stop !
    Please tell us what you know about the bike. When was it restored ? How many miles since the rebuild. Was it re-bored ? Does it have a new top-end ?These bikes take time to break in when assembled. You may simply need a re-torque and valve adjustment. Sometimes several re-torques and valve adjustments till all is well. If you give us some simple information we may be able to help !
    And, yea. We all have fallen in love with these bikes !

Exclamation

Here's what I know about the bike; I don't know the mileage since the rebuild.

I was given a sheet listing the work that was done. I'm going to quote the relevant parts from it:

"The engine was completely disassembled, cleaned and inspected. The crankshaft was rebuilt by Ed Korn of Cycle Works, including new connecting rods and bearings. Cylinder heads were rebuilt with new valves, springs, and hardened valve seats by Randy Lang's Custom Mecahincal Services. Ed Korn supplied replacement overbore pistons, pins and rings. Carbs were compeltely rebuilt with all new parts from the Bing Agency..."

"New magento/coil and cleaned and tested distributor assembly installed"

I want to stress that those folks above ultimately didn't assemble the bike; it was assembled by another person. I'm going to assume that everything that was listed above is true; the visuals of the bike confirm to me that there was a full on resto.

What I'm afraid of is that this thing was cooked before I got it, or I may have pushed it over the edge. I doubt that I put more than 3-400 miles on it.

Thinking out loud, one of the things I had to replace when I got the bike was the kick start rubber, that affixes to the frame. It was beaten and snapped, as if someone had to kick the hell out of the bike to get it to run...

It's probably something very simple. First check for spark. Remove plugs and lay them on the cylinder for grounding. Kick the bike over and make sure you are getting a healthy spark. Next torque the cylinder base nuts and then the cylinder head bolts. Then re-do your valve adjustment. I would then remove the fuel lines one at a time and see if you are getting fuel. Was the tank re-lined ? There may be debris at the petcock slowing fuel to the carbs. Static check your timing.

I'm going to start a new thread...

Sometimes it's just bad news. I'm going to start a new thread here, and post some pics of this morning's motorcycle surgery. Not for the sqeamish...