Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: jumper cable idea question

After looking at mini jumper cables for motorcycles, I wonder how small of a jumper cable can you use. There are some that are 8, 10 and 12 gauge.

The small ones would fit better under a seat, but would they (12 gauge) be adequate?
    Nardowell
    Hoa Binh (Peace)
    Vietnam '69 and '70
    2012 R1200R classic

Quote Originally Posted by TinyTrains View Post
    I still say the donor vehicle should not be running when you hit the starter on the dead engine. Some alternators may have short circuit protection, but unless you know for certain, the donor engine should be off. Why risk your alternator for nothing. They are expensive. You can run the donor engine to charge the other battery for a while if needed.
    +1 Better safe than sorry.
    '
    Ufda happens..........

It's all about the details.

"Enemy fighters at 2 o'clock!...Roger, What should i do until then?"

2010 r1200r, 2009 harley crossbones, 2008 triumph/sidecar, 1970 norton commando 750

Nickname: Droid
    I too say the donor vehicle should not be running, especially a car or truck. I jump started my Honda CB750K3 off my Toyota back in 1980. the car was running. I cranked enough to get the bike running.

And then later I had to tear the entire wiring harness apart because a portion of it had nearly melted.

I think using the idea for a CHARGE only might be feasible. Plug into running bike and connect to weak battery bike for a while. If wires show signs of getting warm disconnect immediately. Also have inline fuse that blows and limit to 5 amps.

"Enemy fighters at 2 o'clock!...Roger, What should i do until then?"

2010 r1200r, 2009 harley crossbones, 2008 triumph/sidecar, 1970 norton commando 750

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    $104.00 bike jumper cable!!!!!!

I am in the WRONG business, about 10 minutes and a trip to town and you can put that together for about $!0
    2010 F800GS Full Ohlins package, '04 R1100S Replika
    '01 F650GS Wife's bike
    Maritime Alps and Vosges 2012
    Tuscany and Central Italy 2010

I think using the idea for a CHARGE only might be feasible.
    I started a Peterbilt utility truck with my 1-ton Ford last night.

Hooked directly to the battery of my truck it wouldn't even turn over the PB (I didn't expect it to). After "charging" the batteries on the PB (there are three) for about ten minutes we got enough of a surface charge to start the diesel. The driver of the PB hit the starter before I could unhook the jumper cable to my truck, but there doesn't appear to be any problem.

Of course we're not talking 12 & 14ga wire here either.
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

A few months ago, I saw a set of jumper cables on line that were kind of neat.
    They had a beefy harness that replaced the one from your standard micro battery charger and a set of cables that plug into it. One harness for both charger and cables The mfgr. was very clear that harness that comes with a battery charger is not made with heavy enough wire. Not for $104.00 either!
    Last edited by ARGENT BRICK; 11-21-2012 at 12:22 AM.
    Lynn
    MOA #57883
    Current Ride: 1995 K75 Standard
    Past: 1978 Yamaha XS 750, 1976 BMW R60/6

Cheap and good

You guyus must like to spend money. I have used these for years and they wrok great. Small enough to fit under the seat on my R1100RT.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...2296_200442296
    Jerry Dockery
    309 N. 3rd. Ave.
    Kure Beach, NC 28449
    1996 R1100RT main bike & 1985 K100RS...too fast to believe.

Similar thought. Posted a while back.

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=63461

2002 R1150RT

The ford alternator is question is the 2G model, from like mid 80 to early 90's and it is not the diodes with it. they ran all the alternator current of up to 80 amps thru 2 spade connectors, when they get loose, there is smoke and often fire. The part that flames is the rectifier, that is where they put the diodes. Only an idiot would run alternator current thru a 1/4 inch fast on. What is on the diode board you say???

Alternators are current limited, mostly they will not burn up if OE. Once they are rebuilt with Chinese components all bets are off. With the hood up there is cool enough temperatures most all of them will never fry. This is also true with the Bosch alternators the later BMW use.

Permanent magnet alternators are another thing, many of them are under engineered, so you would not want to load to maximum for long.

Rod

Quote Originally Posted by JDOCKERY132445 View Post
    You guyus must like to spend money. I have used these for years and they wrok great. Small enough to fit under the seat on my R1100RT.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...2296_200442296
    I have a set that looks just like those. I've had them at least ten years. They have been used to jump a bike from a bike or car many times. They are 10 gauge and work just fine to jump a bike.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves