Thread: 98 R1100Rt rear spring

Hybrid View

98 R1100Rt rear spring

Is it possible and if so, who makes one, to just replace the rear spring on a 98 R1100RT. I don't want the whole shock unit, just want to replace the rear spring with a heavier weight rated spring.

I checked Race Tech, and they list springs for R1100S, but no RT.

Thanks
    Mike Davis
    "Old n Slow" It's a way of life!
    1985 K100RT

1998 R1100RT

Rally Rat
    This guy of Linderman racing says he can put a new spring on my 12 R1200R for $110.

ed@le-suspension.com This is his Email.

I think he is right on target with his recommendations.

David

Found this but haven't used. www cannonracecraft com They catalog springs by dimension which would be helpful in some applications.

just curious- how many miles on the shock?
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

18000 miles. I'm a firm believer that most 'factory' or OEM shocks are severely undersprung for two up riding. The valving for both damping and rebound are usually sub par too, but the most important step for shock set up is proper spring rates. All the 'clicking' of clickers and 'dialing in' with the 'preload' knob can't fix an incorrect spring rate. And i think the 'preload' knob on the RT is nothing more than an adjustment for damping. But, with the right spring, this adjustment can be very effective.

I ride two up all the time, with a combined weight of 350 pounds. I know there is no way the stock springs, front and rear, are set up for that kind of weight.

I have learned from racing dirt bikes on a budget, proper spring rates are the best money spent for the most bang for your buck when it comes to handling and ride quality, so I want to fix my springs on this bike. Ohlins and the likes are way out of the question, but $120 I can do.
    Mike Davis
    "Old n Slow" It's a way of life!
    1985 K100RT

1998 R1100RT