Quote Originally Posted by tommcgee View Post
This came from the net:

Sentences like "I would encourage all citizens to thank the veteran for their service" are part of the problem. A small step in de-glorifying war is to stop using "service" as a synonym for the military. The words we use are critical to our thoughts, which direct our actions.

Here's a simple non-invasive way to help those with trauma and everyone - use the word "military" in place of "service". I got tired of people saying "thank you for your service". I give them my card titled "Please Don't Thank Me For My Service". It goes on - "I was in the military, not the "service". Service is doing something good. Service is what the person does who fixes your car. When the word "service" is applied to the military, it helps to justify violence as a method of conflict resolution. Like "defending our freedom" or "bringing democracy", the word "service" is used to lower the barriers of aggression. The military solution to conflict is death and destruction. That's not service. Call it what it is - the military."

Posted by ARNY STIEBER on Oct 21st, 2012
It would be interesting to find out if Arny Stieber has a similar attitude for the actions of those who are, or have, served in our communities as law enforcement officers, firefighters, or EMS personnel?

Considering that we have a volunteer military, those who enlist today are making an active choice to give of their of time, talent, and possibly their life if needed. With out an active draft, there is NO question in my mind that term "service" is properly used in today's military. I don't see how anyone can call it anything less if they truly understand that those serving in our military today are stepping up to the plate with a true willingness to defend our freedoms, our Constitution, and the life of Americans world wide.

Those who served in our military under the constraints of a draft also gave of their time, talents and sometimes their life. Should their giving be counted as anything less because they have served under slightly different circumstances? I think not.

Personally, I can't help but give credit to all that have served(and their families) from the Minuteman and Continental Soldier to our present day.

Thank you, all, for your honorable service.