21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Socks

5 23.81%
  • Insoles

9 42.86%
  • Other options

7 33.33%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gerbing's heated socks or insoles?

kaygee

Gerbing's heated socks or insoles?

Most people that had the old socks would complain about feeling the wires. The heated insoles were made to combat that problem but the new socks have microwire which should also fix that problem.

I'm looking for opinions before making a purchase. Microwire Socks or Insoles?

Neither.
    Only gets to low 20s where I live and a pair of TechSox under BMW boots is plenty of protection on my RT. Maybe if I had a naked or a GS I'd want them but have seen no need yet...

Neither

I ride an oil head, where there is no protection from elements. I for simplicity sake wear only Smartwool socks in summer and winter. In winter riding here in Southern California, it can get to mid to high 30s (out side temperature, not at 60 mph speed, which would bring it further down). Smartwool works just fine, it gets cooler, then I simply wiggle my toe and fingers for a bit to make sure blood circulation is still there.

Mind is not for rent
    The insoles do just fine. I use them inside of 200g insulated Danner boots with SmartWool socks, and have had no issues in the teens for hours on end.

I have a pair of their socks I've never worn, as the insoles provide all the warmth I need.

We had the old thick Gerbing socks which I did not care for because if it warmed up in the afternoon the socks were too hot even after you shut off the heat.
    Both of us switched to insoles several years ago and like them much more.
    I have not tried the new thinner microwire socks and see no reason to.
    I like the insoles.
    Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    I have a hard time finding socks I like, and I had the stepping on wires problem. Insoles rock!
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Insoles simply did not work for me. I had to stand on the pegs to truly feel the heat. The socks simply kept my toes nice and toasty in both my CBTs and in hiking boots.

Yes, you have to have the wires laying right otherwise they will cause some discomfort!

I have Gerbings - I don't wear them. Instead I have opted for Little Hotties Adhesive Toe Warmers.

I wear a very thick crew sock with my riding boots. When it looks like I'll need something to keep my feet warm down the road, I stick one of these on top of my sock well before I hit the road. They take quite a bit of time to get warm. They're ok to walk with but if I'm walking very far, I toss them and put new ones in before I get on the road again. The thick sock keeps them from getting too hot on my feet, but hot enough to keep my feet comfortable.

They just work.
    Nom de Plume:
    Steve Aikens, Clovis, NM
    BMW MOA #6218
    IBA# 442

I have the insoles. They are ok. Mine have a couple of hot spots on them. Maybe look into Gerbings new socks.

Jack Herbst
    Great luck with Rev' It socks only (Winter Tour version). Do not know what they are made of but it works. Socks extend up to knees. There is a left and right sock. Medium thickness.

Just returned from a four day trip and feet were always warm at freeway speeds. Temps 35-60 degrees.

Jack
    "All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I realize I should have been more specific."

Quote Originally Posted by rvb1019 View Post
    Insoles simply did not work for me. I had to stand on the pegs to truly feel the heat.
    Something sounds wrong with your insoles. If they are fairly new I would call or email the company and explain they are not working properly.
    Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Neither. Smart wool socks from LL Bean or Cabelas inside Sidi Canyons keep my feet warm enough in cold weather. My Gerbings heated jacket liner is another story... I don't ever ride in cool weather without it. Keeping your core warm goes a long way in keeping your distal extremities warm.
    Craig
    New York's Hudson Valley Region
    2009 R1200RT
    MOA #146131 IBA #55715

I have never seen the need for them,just switch to warmer socks & if a really cold ride I'd try the foot warmers as mentioned.

Boxer twin cylinders work fairly well.

Insoles would be a problem for me, as I move my orthotics to my boots when riding.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

otherwise

Warm Feets

First: Keep your legs warm to deliver warm blood to your feet.
    Second: Layer up. My full regime is ski under-socks, Smartwool
    medium weight, Redwing lace-ups and when needed Gore windproof
    bicycle overboots.

Feet stay warm; I stay happy at 10F.